Re: [softrock40] Simple question: how to power Softrock Ensemble II RX

  • Zack Widup
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 18, 2013
      I've been powering mine from a 12 volt, 4AH battery. I picked up a bunch of these at a hamfest, for not much money. I think he wanted $5 apiece for them. They are pulls from commercial service but still have a lot of life left in them. One of them runs the Ensemble II for a long time before needing to be recharged. And the noise level compares favorably with my TS-850.

      73, Zack W9SZ

      On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 10:24 AM, modrachlan <salmonsm@...> wrote:

      Hello,

      I initially had a problem receiving anything on the Ensemble II RX. I didn't understand that this rx could not be powered by USB only. Tony explained this to me and gave me some rough specs. I picked up a 12V 300mA adapter at Radio Shack and it fired right up. I spent all night finding weather bots and aero traffic i've never heard before. It's surprisingly sensitive. But the noise floor is surprisingly disruptive. I have a wellbrook loop and I am used to a lot less background noise.

      I read online about someone building a power supply for this receiver. I'm assuming that power supply would be quieter than the average wall wart. I think I could use it to calm down the static. I'm guessing someone has devised something that runs on a 9V battery, or is there something premade that will fill the bill?

      When I do get a signal I have no trouble zeroing in on it- and in that respect, this kit is far superior to another recent rx of mine, the Soft66- and the signals are nice and stable. So I am definitely a fan. But I am interested in flushing weak signals out of the murk. I can tell there is potential for that in this receiver. Any advice would be appreciated.