My Ensemble RXTX Will No Longer Receive

  • james.farmer59
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 17, 2013
      After several months of fun, my RXTX has stopped working. I can communicate with is through CFGSR but there is nothing coming from the cable that goes to the sound card. I checked the volts on the opamps and they appear ok. I have no idea where to go from here. Any ideas are appreciated.

      KB5JOF (New Call)
      Joe
    • Adam Jacobs
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 17, 2013
        I know this is a dumb question, but are you _certain_ that the problem is in the Softrock? It could easily be a problem on the computer side, even a very small soundcard configuration change can wreck everything.
        I would put a scope on the audio output of the softrock and verify that it's really dead before digging in.

        Seems like you could follow the schematic back with the scope and figure out where the signal disappears, if it really is a softrock problem.

        -73 Adam W7QI

        On 4/17/2013 9:15 AM, james.farmer59 wrote:

        After several months of fun, my RXTX has stopped working. I can communicate with is through CFGSR but there is nothing coming from the cable that goes to the sound card. I checked the volts on the opamps and they appear ok. I have no idea where to go from here. Any ideas are appreciated.

        KB5JOF (New Call)
        Joe

      • John Williams
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 17, 2013
          What bands?

          John

          --

          John Williams

          KE5SSH - ham since 2007
          WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

        • James Farmer
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 17, 2013

            All bands.

            Joe
            Sent from my Nexus 7

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 17, 2013
              Subject: [softrock40] My Ensemble RXTX Will No Longer Receive

              > After several months of fun, my RXTX has stopped working. I can communicate with is through CFGSR but there is nothing coming
              > from the cable that goes to the sound card. I checked the volts on the opamps and they appear ok. I have no idea where to go
              > from here.

              Joe,

              You may have a fault in the RX/TX switching.
              Do the checks on Robby's RF I/O page.

              73 Alan G4ZFQ
            • james.farmer59
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 18, 2013

                > Subject: [softrock40] My Ensemble RXTX Will No Longer Receive
                >

                > > After several months of fun, my RXTX has stopped working. I can communicate with is through CFGSR but there is nothing coming
                > > from the cable that goes to the sound card. I checked the volts on the opamps and they appear ok. I have no idea where to go
                > > from here.
                >
                > Joe,
                >
                > You may have a fault in the RX/TX switching.
                > Do the checks on Robby's RF I/O page.
                >
                > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                Alan I went through all the voltage test and could only find two problems. R51 which is test point A is high in both RX @ 10.76 and Tax @ 8.06 and U2 reads 2.6 between pins 1 and 2. I do now know what this means unless R51 has gone bad. I see no signs of heat damage etc. Any further comments are welcome.

                KB5JOF
                Joe
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 18, 2013
                  Subject: [softrock40] Re: My Ensemble RXTX Will No Longer Receive

                  >I went through all the voltage test and could only find two problems. R51 which is test point A is high in both RX @ 10.76 and Tax
                  >@ 8.06 and U2 reads 2.6 between pins 1 and 2.

                  Joe,

                  It is not likely R51 is faulty.

                  Please check the following voltages RX and TX:-

                  R51 hairpin.
                  R11 hairpin.
                  R37 hairpin.
                  R34 hairpin.

                  There is something wrong in this area, perhaps these readings will give a clue.

                  73 Alan G4ZFQ
                • James Farmer
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 20, 2013
                    Hope to have time today to follow your suggestion.  Will advise when I have some data.  Your help is appreciated.

                    KB5JOF
                    Joe
                  • james.farmer59
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 22, 2013
                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, James Farmer <kb5yoa@...> wrote:

                      > Hope to have time today to follow your suggestion. Will advise when I have
                      > some data. Your help is appreciated.
                      >
                      > KB5JOF
                      > Joe

                      OK...Finally had time to stop and get the readings requested. Thy are
                      R51-8.85 R41-1.37 R37-0.0 R34-12.85. Thanks again for all the help.

                      KB5JOF
                      Joe
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 22, 2013

                        > OK...Finally had time to stop and get the readings requested. Thy are
                        > R51-8.85 R41-1.37 R37-0.0 R34-12.85. Thanks again for all the help.

                        Joe,

                        You have not given all I asked.
                        Look again, there were some others and please give RX and TX figures.

                        73 Alan G4ZFQ
                      • james.farmer59
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 23, 2013
                          Thanks Alan. Here are the correct readings...

                          Point RX TX
                          R51 8.86 6.64
                          R11 15.2 4.90
                          R37 0.0 10.86
                          R34 12.34 12.39

                          Thanks Again

                          KB5JOF
                          Joe

                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 24, 2013

                            > Here are the correct readings...
                            >
                            > Point RX TX
                            > R51 8.86 6.64
                            > R11 15.2 4.90
                            > R37 0.0 10.86
                            > R34 12.34 12.39

                            Joe,

                            You must be careful when reading/typing. R11 RX 15.2 is impossible.
                            If this is really 0.15 volts measure across U4 pins 3,4 RX and TX. From the readings you give it appears U4 is faulty.

                            But this does not explain loss of RX.
                            What is the voltage at pins 1, 15 of U10?

                            73 Alan G4ZFQ
                          • James Farmer
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 24, 2013
                              Alan, I knew that 15vt didn't ring true.  Here are the pins from U10 both RX and TX

                              Pin          RX          TX
                              1              0             0
                              2              2..4         2.4
                              3              2.4          2.4
                              4              2.4          0
                              5              2.4          0
                              6              2.4          2.4
                              7              3.7          4.4
                              8              0             4.9
                              9              2.4          2.4
                              10            2.4          0
                              11            2.4          2.4
                              12            2.4          2.4
                              13            2.4          0
                              14            5.4          4.4
                              15            0             4.9

                              Funny thing, I checked R11 with a different meter and got 0 for RX and 4.8 for TX.  May need a "large print" meter.

                              KB5JOF
                              Joe
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 24, 2013

                                > Alan, I knew that 15vt didn't ring true. Here are the pins from U10 both
                                > RX and TX
                                >
                                > Pin RX TX
                                > 1 0 0
                                > 2 2..4 2.4
                                > 3 2.4 2.4
                                > 4 2.4 0
                                > 5 2.4 0
                                > 6 2.4 2.4
                                > 7 3.7 4.4
                                > 8 0 4.9
                                > 9 2.4 2.4
                                > 10 2.4 0
                                > 11 2.4 2.4
                                > 12 2.4 2.4
                                > 13 2.4 0
                                > 14 5.4 4.4
                                > 15 0 4.9

                                Joe,

                                These figures do not tie in with your previously reported R51 hairpin readings. Maybe those were wrong?

                                But pins 1 and 15 of U10 should be connected together and give the same voltages.
                                And pin 8 should be grounded.
                                Check these again and look for bad soldering.

                                73 Alan G4ZFQ

                                > Funny thing, I checked R11 with a different meter and got 0 for RX and 4.8
                                > for TX. May need a "large print" meter.
                                >
                                > KB5JOF
                                > Joe

                              • james.farmer59
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 4, 2013

                                  > Subject: [softrock40] Re: My Ensemble RXTX Will No Longer Receive
                                  >

                                  > > Alan, I knew that 15vt didn't ring true. Here are the pins from U10 both
                                  > > RX and TX
                                  > >
                                  > > Pin RX TX
                                  > > 1 0 0
                                  > > 2 2..4 2.4
                                  > > 3 2.4 2.4
                                  > > 4 2.4 0
                                  > > 5 2.4 0
                                  > > 6 2.4 2.4
                                  > > 7 3.7 4.4
                                  > > 8 0 4.9
                                  > > 9 2.4 2.4
                                  > > 10 2.4 0
                                  > > 11 2.4 2.4
                                  > > 12 2.4 2.4
                                  > > 13 2.4 0
                                  > > 14 5.4 4.4
                                  > > 15 0 4.9
                                  > >

                                  > Joe,
                                  >
                                  > These figures do not tie in with your previously reported R51 hairpin readings. Maybe those were wrong?
                                  >
                                  > But pins 1 and 15 of U10 should be connected together and give the same voltages.
                                  > And pin 8 should be grounded.
                                  > Check these again and look for bad soldering.
                                  >
                                  > 73 Alan G4ZFQ
                                  >

                                  > > Funny thing, I checked R11 with a different meter and got 0 for RX and 4.8
                                  > > for TX. May need a "large print" meter.
                                  > >
                                  > > KB5JOF
                                  > > Joe

                                  Alan... Had to order the FET's and have finally replaced all 6 of them in the radio with no change in the status of my radio. The 3 next to the line of caps were really tight ;-). Any other idea's??