Ensemble RXTX vs Peaberry SDR?

  • GregT
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2013
      Other than the fact that the Peaberry has a built-in soundcard, are there any other notable differences between the two? Performance?

      Thanks,
      Greg
      kf5oxi
    • Dave Miller

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 8, 2013
            At the system level the Peaberry is not significantly more expensive when you take into account it has two built-in USB audio cards. One USB connection carries I/Q audio, speaker, and Mic along with contol. It makes a very simple clean portable rig.

            The RF circuitry is essentially identical. Ultimately the performance of either radio is determined by the BPF, the op amps, and the sound card so for a side-by-side comparison you would need to include sound for the RXTX.

            Bottom line is I call it a draw between the receiver performance of a Peaberry and and RXTX. There are more ways to tinker with the hardware in the RXTX.... but if you are a software guy there is probably an even greater opportunity to tinker in firmware with Peaberry.

            Peaberry was not easier for me to build as I had some trouble with the fine pitch SMDs. The faint of heart should take David up on his offer to supply the boards with these installed.

            My RXTX's are for operating. My Peaberry is to throw in the bag for road trips.

            Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Adam Jacobs <jacobs.adam@...> wrote:

            > The peaberry is _much_ more expensive. :)
            >
            > -Adam W7QI
            >
            > On 4/8/2013 9:05 AM, Dave Miller wrote:
            > >
            > > There are less parts in the Peaberry. I have built both. I think the
            > > Peaberry is much easier to build. There is more surface mount in
            > > Peaberry. Everything but connectors. I like SMT so that's good for me.
            > > YMMV
            > > They both have their place.
            > >
            > > Dave
            > >
            > > On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 8:49 AM, GregT <kf5oxi@...
            > > <mailto:kf5oxi@...>> wrote:
            > >
            > > Other than the fact that the Peaberry has a built-in soundcard,
            > > are there any other notable differences between the two? Performance?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Greg
            > > kf5oxi

          • GregT
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 8, 2013
              Thanks all. As always the friendly folks on this list are very helpful! I think I'll start with the RXTX (I'm just finishing a SoftRock II combo to get my feet wet with surface mount soldering) and then I'll build a Peaberry, as Warren suggests, for travel...later.

              Greg,
              kf5oxi

              > At the system level the Peaberry is not significantly more expensive when you take into account it has two built-in USB audio cards. One USB connection carries I/Q audio, speaker, and Mic along with contol. It makes a very simple clean portable rig.
              >
              > The RF circuitry is essentially identical. Ultimately the performance of either radio is determined by the BPF, the op amps, and the sound card so for a side-by-side comparison you would need to include sound for the RXTX.
              >
              > Bottom line is I call it a draw between the receiver performance of a Peaberry and and RXTX. There are more ways to tinker with the hardware in the RXTX.... but if you are a software guy there is probably an even greater opportunity to tinker in firmware with Peaberry.
              >
              > Peaberry was not easier for me to build as I had some trouble with the fine pitch SMDs. The faint of heart should take David up on his offer to supply the boards with these installed.
              >
              > My RXTX's are for operating. My Peaberry is to throw in the bag for road trips.
              >
              > Warren Allgyer - W8TOD
              >
              > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Adam Jacobs <jacobs.adam@> wrote:
              > >
              > > The peaberry is _much_ more expensive. :)
              > >
              > > -Adam W7QI
              > >
              > > On 4/8/2013 9:05 AM, Dave Miller wrote:
              > > >
              > > > There are less parts in the Peaberry. I have built both. I think the
              > > > Peaberry is much easier to build. There is more surface mount in
              > > > Peaberry. Everything but connectors. I like SMT so that's good for me.
              > > > YMMV
              > > > They both have their place.
              > > >
              > > > Dave
              > > >
              > > > On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 8:49 AM, GregT <kf5oxi@
              > > > <mailto:kf5oxi@>> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Other than the fact that the Peaberry has a built-in soundcard,
              > > > are there any other notable differences between the two? Performance?
              > > >
              > > > Thanks,
              > > > Greg
              > > > kf5oxi

            • edingraham
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 9, 2013
                From the lack of posts about problems getting the USB drivers installed and working, it appears that the Peaberry USB interface is more robust.

                Yes, the Peaberry provides the audio interfaces for I/Q, mike, and speaker, no other sound card is needed when running at 48KBps. On the other hand, 96KBps removes the mike and spkr channels. Selecting 96KBps requires the installation of a hardware jumper (or a switch of some sort, I use a shorting block on a 2-pin header).

                Reversing I/Q for RX or TX does not require a jumper change. Just tune your LO to 33.333333 or 33.444444 or 33.555555 or 33.666666 to accomplish the I/Q swaps.

                With Peaberry, SDR# shows an image which SDR# cannot correct. HDSDR can correct this image. Apparently this has something to with the fact that Peaberry does not sample I and Q simultaneously.

                Tinkering with the Peaberry firmware is not for the faint of heart. The Peaberry firmware and its PSoC continue to earn my respect!

                73, Ed WX4S