Sudden 40m Problem with Ensemble RXTX

  • richard.lawn@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 6, 2013
      I took everyone's advice and bought a recommended laptop - Hp 8440p which seems to be a nice little well equipped laptop. I'd been using a MacBook Pro running Win 7 with the internal stereo sound card and StarTech USB sound card dongle. I have been unable to get things to work with my Ensemble after spending a lot of time downloading and configuring the software o the new computer. I thought I'd better go back to the Mac just to make sure things still worked and discovered that while 20 and 30m (which seems hot tonite) work fine, the 40m band is dead or at least deaf here. Did I screw up some calibration when trying to get the Ensemble to work with the new windows laptop? And by the way I checked calibration at 10.000 WWV on the MacBook Pro just to make sure and it was still dead on.....so why is 40m suddenly dead? At this point I'll worry about getting the new windows laptop to work later after solving this 40m problem.

      Rick
      W2JAZ
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 7, 2013
        >, the 40m band is dead or at least deaf here. Did I screw up some
        >calibration when trying to get the Ensemble to work with the new windows
        >laptop? And by the way I checked calibration at 10.000 WWV on the MacBook
        >Pro just to make sure and it was still dead on.....so why is 40m suddenly
        >dead?

        This seems like what Tony reminded us of recently.
        If the ABPF is enabled in CFGSR then 40m goes to TX mode.
        I've never known it to revert once it has been set but it must be the first
        thing to look at.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • richard.lawn@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 7, 2013
          I saw Tony's reply to another user so I tried that, but when I unchecked ABPF I lost everything, no receive on any band. Sort of makes me made as everything worked fine and I was even making dx contact on PSK31 using my Mac running Win7. Then I bought th HP laptop :). Should have left well enough alone. Ill eventually sort it out.
          Rick
          W2jaz

        • richard.lawn@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 7, 2013
            Got it solved and in fact it was the ABPS check box. For some reason the change didnt take affect until I restarted. Now both MacBook Pro and HP laptop are working just ine with powerSDR, HDSDR and FlDigi.
            Rick
            W2JAZ

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "richard.lawn@..." <rjlawn@...> wrote:

            > I took everyone's advice and bought a recommended laptop - Hp 8440p which seems to be a nice little well equipped laptop. I'd been using a MacBook Pro running Win 7 with the internal stereo sound card and StarTech USB sound card dongle. I have been unable to get things to work with my Ensemble after spending a lot of time downloading and configuring the software o the new computer. I thought I'd better go back to the Mac just to make sure things still worked and discovered that while 20 and 30m (which seems hot tonite) work fine, the 40m band is dead or at least deaf here. Did I screw up some calibration when trying to get the Ensemble to work with the new windows laptop? And by the way I checked calibration at 10.000 WWV on the MacBook Pro just to make sure and it was still dead on.....so why is 40m suddenly dead? At this point I'll worry about getting the new windows laptop to work later after solving this 40m problem.
            >
            > Rick
            > W2JAZ

          • Jerry Haigwood
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 8, 2013

              Richard,

                   You have come a long way since a few weeks back.  I remember when you were ready to give up and someone on here encouraged you to continue.  Now you are one of experts, especially when it comes to PSDR and Macs.  You will now be able to help the next guy to come along.  You are to be commended for your tenacity and never give up attitude.

              Jerry W5JH

            • richard.lawn@ymail.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 9, 2013
                Thanks for the kind words. I finally bought.a used HP 8440p and now haveit running ok with my ensemble, though I'm not convinced I'm getting the output I should. This afternoon. Fired it up on 20m psk and worked stations in Ireland,Kiev and Belarus so I guess I'm doing something right. Some of it still seems a bit like trial and error to me which suggests I still don't always understand what's going on. I'm not convinced that iq is balanced properly for example and that calibration is as accurate asit could be. I just got a hold of an old rf signal generator and I bought an older tektronix scope. Now I just have to learn how to use them hi hi.

                Hope to see you on y waterfall one day.
                73
                Rick
                W2JAZ