Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Softrock RXTX Ensemble with WSJT-X JT9

Expand Messages
  • dd5cf_colin
    John, Many thanks for your reply, I should have mentioned that I am using XP at the moment, my computer does not have serial ports, printers etc are connected
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2013
    • 0 Attachment
      John,

      Many thanks for your reply, I should have mentioned that I am using XP at the moment, my computer does not have serial ports, printers etc are connected via USB, I also have Ubuntu on my old laptop (also no serial ports) but haven't tried that yet, WSPR works fine with my RXTX ensemble and windows XP on both the PC and Laptop.

      I use the Line-in on the PC sound-card (microphone-in is not stereo) and have a cheap USB sound-card dongle for the output, I use the same setup for WSJT-X.

      I thought that WSJT-X would have the same setup as WSPR but noticed that unlike WSPR WSJT-X did not change the frequency on PE0FKO SI-570 configuration tool automatically when changing bands even though Softrock SI570 AVR-USB is in the setup rig list and also USB cat and PTT control can be enabled.

      73 Colin DD5CF / G1ZOS

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Williams <KE5SSH@...> wrote:
      >
      > Colin,
      >
      > Can you explain how you drive the program? I have not tried it yet. Do
      > you send I/Q direct from the softrock to WSJT-X? Then a hamlib approach
      > for CAT control would make sense, like WSPR accomplishes. For JT65-HF, I
      > fed SSB audio passband thru virtual audio ports to the program using
      > HDSDR, then used virtual serial to wiggle CTS (IIRC) to cause PTT. JT65
      > did not allow VFO control, but it works fine setting on a constant freq.
      >
      > so, more details please?
      >
      > John - ke5ssh
      >
      > On 4/1/2013 8:42 AM, Phil Frost wrote:
      > >
      > > On 04/01/2013 09:34 AM, dd5cf_colin wrote:
      > > > I can receive the signals with no problems but am not able to get the
      > > > RXTX ensemble to go to transmit, I have tried changing the parameters in
      > > > the setup but with no joy.
      > >
      > > WSJT can only twiddle the flow control lines on a serial port to enable
      > > transmit. This is not compatible with the Softrock, where transmit is
      > > enabled by a USB command.
      > >
      > > One solution is to patch WSJT to interface with the Softrock. Linking in
      > > hamlib would be one way (fldigi works with the softrock through hamlib).
      > > Another would be to call an external program, like usbsoftrock.
      > >
      > > The other solution would be to modify the Softrock to interface to a
      > > serial port that WSJT can control. Transmit is enabled by the output of
      > > an optocoupler (U4, from memory). RS-232 outputs +/- 12V (ideally, some
      > > interfaces ignore the spec and use 5V) logic signals. Disconnect the
      > > opto input from the AVR as it is on the PCB, and instead connect it to
      > > your serial port, and you are good to go.
      > >
      > >
      >
      > --
      >
      > John Williams
      >
      > KE5SSH - ham since 2007
      > WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm
      >
    • dd5cf_colin
      Hi Phil, Many thanks for your reply, I am using XP at the moment, my computer does not have serial ports, printers etc are connected via USB (there are slots
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2013
      • 0 Attachment
        Hi Phil,

        Many thanks for your reply, I am using XP at the moment, my computer does not have serial ports, printers etc are connected via USB (there are slots in the computer to add a serial port) I also have Ubuntu on my old laptop (also no serial ports) but haven't tried that yet, WSPR works fine with my RXTX ensemble and windows XP on both the PC and Laptop.

        I use the Line-in on the PC and laptop sound-cards (microphone-in is not stereo) and have a cheap USB sound-card dongle for the output, I use the same setup for WSJT-X.

        I thought that WSJT-X would have the same setup as WSPR but noticed that unlike WSPR WSJT-X did not change the frequency on PE0FKO SI-570 configuration tool automatically when changing bands even though Softrock SI570 AVR-USB is in the WSJT-X setup rig list and also USB cat and PTT control can be enabled.

        I will follow your advice and try Hamlib and USBSoftrock, but as I have not long finished building the RXTX ensemble I would not want to make any drastic changes to it when it is working so well.

        My Softrock works both on TX and RX with Rocky, WSPR, ROS and OPERA, I always wondered why FLIDIGI didn't work

        73 Colin DD5CF / G1ZOS

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Phil Frost <indigo@...> wrote:
        >
        > On 04/01/2013 09:34 AM, dd5cf_colin wrote:
        > > I can receive the signals with no problems but am not able to get the
        > > RXTX ensemble to go to transmit, I have tried changing the parameters in
        > > the setup but with no joy.
        >
        > WSJT can only twiddle the flow control lines on a serial port to enable
        > transmit. This is not compatible with the Softrock, where transmit is
        > enabled by a USB command.
        >
        > One solution is to patch WSJT to interface with the Softrock. Linking in
        > hamlib would be one way (fldigi works with the softrock through hamlib).
        > Another would be to call an external program, like usbsoftrock.
        >
        > The other solution would be to modify the Softrock to interface to a
        > serial port that WSJT can control. Transmit is enabled by the output of
        > an optocoupler (U4, from memory). RS-232 outputs +/- 12V (ideally, some
        > interfaces ignore the spec and use 5V) logic signals. Disconnect the
        > opto input from the AVR as it is on the PCB, and instead connect it to
        > your serial port, and you are good to go.
        >
      • Phil Frost
        ... Indeed, WSPR and WSJT are not at all alike in this respect. There s a bit of a hint here that WSPR has features that WSJT does not:
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2013
        • 0 Attachment
          On 04/01/2013 11:25 AM, dd5cf_colin wrote:
          > I thought that WSJT-X would have the same setup as WSPR but noticed that
          > unlike WSPR WSJT-X did not change the frequency on PE0FKO SI-570
          > configuration tool automatically when changing bands even though
          > Softrock SI570 AVR-USB is in the setup rig list and also USB cat and PTT
          > control can be enabled.

          Indeed, WSPR and WSJT are not at all alike in this respect. There's a
          bit of a hint here that WSPR has features that WSJT does not:

          http://wsprnet.org/drupal/node/2078

          Also as John mentions, you should be doing something with virtual audio
          ports and having something other that WSJT convert the IQ output of the
          Softrock to a real (not complex) audio signal. As discussed in the link
          above, WSPR has this functionality included. WSJT does not: it expects
          to eat the audio output from a USB receiver.

          Fldigi is similar and also expects to be connected to a USB transceiver.
          Hamlib allows fldigi to control the center frequency of the softrock and
          manipulate PTT, but does not perform modulation/demodulation. You need
          some SDR software to do that, like HDSDR, etc.

          If you just put either the I or the Q signal into WSJT it can work a
          little bit, but poorly, because you are also listening to RF frequencies
          on both sides of the Softrock's center frequency added together, which
          means a lot more noise. For example, if the Softrock is set to 7 MHz,
          then at 1 kHz in WSJT you are seeing both 7.001 and 6.999 MHz. One of
          these may have your signal of interest, and the other is noise.

          To get an intuitive sense of the problem, try listening to the Softrock
          outputs directly with headphones, or see what happens in your favorite
          SDR software if you disconnect one of the I or Q signals from the Softrock.
        • John Williams
          Colin, I will give it a try this morning and let you know what I find out. If It supported hamlib, like WSPR, it would be pretty obvious and you would not be
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2013
          • 0 Attachment
            Colin,

            I will give it a try this morning and let you know what I find out. If It supported hamlib, like WSPR, it would be pretty obvious and you would not be asking for help. My guess is that it needs to be paired with a radio program, like PowerSDR or HDSDR to control the radio (VFO, PTT, SSB decode, etc.) and use virtual audio and virtual serial programs to transfer information and control between the radio program and WSJT-X.

            We shall see. BTW, I run WinXP also so that will not be an issue.

            Do not do any hardware changes, they will not be necessary.

            John - ke5ssh
            On 4/1/2013 10:25 AM, dd5cf_colin wrote:
             



            John,

            Many thanks for your reply, I should have mentioned that I am using XP at the moment, my computer does not have serial ports, printers etc are connected via USB, I also have Ubuntu on my old laptop (also no serial ports) but haven't tried that yet, WSPR works fine with my RXTX ensemble and windows XP on both the PC and Laptop.

            I use the Line-in on the PC sound-card (microphone-in is not stereo) and have a cheap USB sound-card dongle for the output, I use the same setup for WSJT-X.

            I thought that WSJT-X would have the same setup as WSPR but noticed that unlike WSPR WSJT-X did not change the frequency on PE0FKO SI-570 configuration tool automatically when changing bands even though Softrock SI570 AVR-USB is in the setup rig list and also USB cat and PTT control can be enabled.

            73 Colin DD5CF / G1ZOS

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Williams <KE5SSH@...> wrote:
            >
            > Colin,
            >
            > Can you explain how you drive the program? I have not tried it yet. Do
            > you send I/Q direct from the softrock to WSJT-X? Then a hamlib approach
            > for CAT control would make sense, like WSPR accomplishes. For JT65-HF, I
            > fed SSB audio passband thru virtual audio ports to the program using
            > HDSDR, then used virtual serial to wiggle CTS (IIRC) to cause PTT. JT65
            > did not allow VFO control, but it works fine setting on a constant freq.
            >
            > so, more details please?
            >
            > John - ke5ssh
            >
            > On 4/1/2013 8:42 AM, Phil Frost wrote:
            > >
            > > On 04/01/2013 09:34 AM, dd5cf_colin wrote:
            > > > I can receive the signals with no problems but am not able to get the
            > > > RXTX ensemble to go to transmit, I have tried changing the parameters in
            > > > the setup but with no joy.
            > >
            > > WSJT can only twiddle the flow control lines on a serial port to enable
            > > transmit. This is not compatible with the Softrock, where transmit is
            > > enabled by a USB command.
            > >
            > > One solution is to patch WSJT to interface with the Softrock. Linking in
            > > hamlib would be one way (fldigi works with the softrock through hamlib).
            > > Another would be to call an external program, like usbsoftrock.
            > >
            > > The other solution would be to modify the Softrock to interface to a
            > > serial port that WSJT can control. Transmit is enabled by the output of
            > > an optocoupler (U4, from memory). RS-232 outputs +/- 12V (ideally, some
            > > interfaces ignore the spec and use 5V) logic signals. Disconnect the
            > > opto input from the AVR as it is on the PCB, and instead connect it to
            > > your serial port, and you are good to go.
            > >
            > >
            >
            > --
            >
            > John Williams
            >
            > KE5SSH - ham since 2007
            > WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm
            >


            -- 
            
            John Williams
            
            KE5SSH - ham since 2007
            WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm
            
          • Alan
            ... Subject: [softrock40] Softrock RXTX Ensemble with WSJT-X JT9 ... Colin, WSPRX is not (yet?) IQ compatible.
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 1, 2013
            • 0 Attachment
              ----- Original Message -----

              Subject: [softrock40] Softrock RXTX Ensemble with WSJT-X JT9


              > Hi to all members of the group, does anyone have experience with the RXTX Ensemble and WSJT-X JT-9 program?
              >
              > I can receive the signals with no problems but am not able to get the RXTX ensemble to go to transmit, I have tried changing the
              > parameters in the setup but with no joy.
              >

              Colin,

              WSPRX is not (yet?) IQ compatible.

              https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/installing-and-using-hdsdr about 4/5 down shows how. HDSDR, VAC, CAT.

              73 Alan G4ZFQ
            • John Williams
              Colin, I have it installed. Have not had it in a QSO yet. Here is what I did. Use HDSDR for Radio control. Make sure you can control the softrock using well
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 1, 2013
              • 0 Attachment
                Colin,

                I have it installed. Have not had it in a QSO yet. Here is what I did.

                Use HDSDR for Radio control. Make sure you can control the softrock using well written instructions. I would suggest you try to insure that when you press TX you see power output on the softrock. Not sure you have enough audio cards to accomplish this...but would be good to independently know that hdsdr is properly configed.

                Use CAT on WSJT - select Kenwood ST-50S rig, 9600 baud, 1 stop bit. Use VSPMgr for the virtual serial control and specify 1 pair. I picked Com16/17. On WSJT I selected COM17, on HDSDR I selected (COM16, PTT thru CAT, and checkmarked activated) Checked cat by changing bands on WSJT and obvserving the VFO change on HDSDR screen.

                Used a pair of VAC cables (Virtual Audio Cables program). Send output RX from HDSDR to input Audio using Virtual Cable 1, Send WJST audio out thru virtual cable 2 to HDSDR TX input.

                Things seem to run. I did have one crash where TX was left on, not sure what happened, still debugging.

                John - ke5ssh.
                On 4/1/2013 11:56 AM, Alan wrote:
                 


                ----- Original Message -----

                Subject: [softrock40] Softrock RXTX Ensemble with WSJT-X JT9

                > Hi to all members of the group, does anyone have experience with the RXTX Ensemble and WSJT-X JT-9 program?
                >
                > I can receive the signals with no problems but am not able to get the RXTX ensemble to go to transmit, I have tried changing the
                > parameters in the setup but with no joy.
                >

                Colin,

                WSPRX is not (yet?) IQ compatible.

                https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/installing-and-using-hdsdr about 4/5 down shows how. HDSDR, VAC, CAT.

                73 Alan G4ZFQ


                -- 
                
                John Williams
                
                KE5SSH - ham since 2007
                WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm
                
              • John Williams
                Colin, Successful QSO and figured out how to upload the QSO to eQSL... What is your current status? I can help more effectively now! John - ke5ssh ... -- John
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 1, 2013
                • 0 Attachment
                  Colin,

                  Successful QSO and figured out how to upload the QSO to eQSL...

                  What is your current status? I can help more effectively now!

                  John - ke5ssh
                  On 4/1/2013 12:57 PM, John Williams wrote:
                  Colin,

                  I have it installed. Have not had it in a QSO yet. Here is what I did.

                  Use HDSDR for Radio control. Make sure you can control the softrock using well written instructions. I would suggest you try to insure that when you press TX you see power output on the softrock. Not sure you have enough audio cards to accomplish this...but would be good to independently know that hdsdr is properly configed.

                  Use CAT on WSJT - select Kenwood ST-50S rig, 9600 baud, 1 stop bit. Use VSPMgr for the virtual serial control and specify 1 pair. I picked Com16/17. On WSJT I selected COM17, on HDSDR I selected (COM16, PTT thru CAT, and checkmarked activated) Checked cat by changing bands on WSJT and obvserving the VFO change on HDSDR screen.

                  Used a pair of VAC cables (Virtual Audio Cables program). Send output RX from HDSDR to input Audio using Virtual Cable 1, Send WJST audio out thru virtual cable 2 to HDSDR TX input.

                  Things seem to run. I did have one crash where TX was left on, not sure what happened, still debugging.

                  John - ke5ssh.
                  On 4/1/2013 11:56 AM, Alan wrote:
                   


                  ----- Original Message -----

                  Subject: [softrock40] Softrock RXTX Ensemble with WSJT-X JT9

                  > Hi to all members of the group, does anyone have experience with the RXTX Ensemble and WSJT-X JT-9 program?
                  >
                  > I can receive the signals with no problems but am not able to get the RXTX ensemble to go to transmit, I have tried changing the
                  > parameters in the setup but with no joy.
                  >

                  Colin,

                  WSPRX is not (yet?) IQ compatible.

                  https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/installing-and-using-hdsdr about 4/5 down shows how. HDSDR, VAC, CAT.

                  73 Alan G4ZFQ


                  -- 
                  
                  John Williams
                  
                  KE5SSH - ham since 2007
                  WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm
                  

                  -- 
                  
                  John Williams
                  
                  KE5SSH - ham since 2007
                  WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm
                  
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.