Re: HDSDR Alignment/calibration Question

  • warrenallgyer
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
      Calibrate A gets the Si5170 close. 1.5 ppm at 56.32 MHz gets it within 75 Hz or so. Then you still need to tune HDSDR to a known signal. I like to do it in CW mode and then click on CW Zap to precisely center the carrier. Then bring up EXTIO and select the Calibrate tab. In section B you will see "Tuned" and "Real". Tuned should be indicating the frequency that HDSDR zapped you too...... in my case it was 10.000059 in both boxes. In the Real box I simply type in "10" and hit calibrate B.

      My Si5170s usually hold within +-2-3 Hz after a 30 minute warmup.

      Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

      > Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: HDSDR Alignment/calibration Question
      >

      > . What I do that seems to help
      > > is to use the reset button to reset the calibration to factory, then
      > > calibrate it.
      >
      > John,
      >
      > No, not the Reset button.
      >
      > Always use "Calibrate A" this sets the Si570 by way of it's factory calibrated registers. Should be within 1.5ppm.
      >
      > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

    • lc_hdsdr
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
        Hi all,

        i'd prefer using ECSS over CW (Zap): it's more precise with it's AFC.

        kind regards,
        LC

      • richard.lawn@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
          I followed the alignment procedures again using the web pages that Alan suggested. Also made up a crossed cable for use with PwrSDR. All is now calibrated quite well and I'm able to use both PwrSDR and HDSDR with FlDigi and my Ensemble RXTX. Even had a few QSOs so all so well. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. Hope to see you on my waterfall.

          Rick
          W2JAZ

          > Subject: Re: [softrock40] HDSDR Alignment/calibration Question
          >

          > >Sounds like you might need to swap IQ channels on TX. If I remember right you need to do that while transmitting.
          >
          > Jim may well be right.
          > Have you checked whether you are transmitting your strongest signal on the correct frequency?
          > Have you checked transmit image rejection?
          >
          > Frequency calibration https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/calibrating-the-softrock-si570-usb-controller Just "Calibrate A" is
          > often good enough.
          >
          > Settiing TX image https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/hdsdr-iq-balance
          >
          > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

        • yl2gqn
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 9, 2013
            Please note, if you do not have TX I/Q crossed you will have exactly 1,200 Hz shift for TX freq in PowerSDR.

            Regards,
            Andy. YL2QN