Re: [softrock40] Re: HDSDR Alignment/calibration Question

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
      Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: HDSDR Alignment/calibration Question

      . What I do that seems to help
      > is to use the reset button to reset the calibration to factory, then
      > calibrate it.

      John,

      No, not the Reset button.

      Always use "Calibrate A" this sets the Si570 by way of it's factory calibrated registers. Should be within 1.5ppm.

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • John Williams
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
        Alan,

        Thanks - I did not know that! Always wondered what the calibrate A was used for. So let me see if  I have this. Hit Calibrate A, then tune to WWV on 10 MHz using CW Zap, then put in 10000000 in real freq, then hit calibrate B? Is that right?

        John - ke5ssh

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
          Calibrate A gets the Si5170 close. 1.5 ppm at 56.32 MHz gets it within 75 Hz or so. Then you still need to tune HDSDR to a known signal. I like to do it in CW mode and then click on CW Zap to precisely center the carrier. Then bring up EXTIO and select the Calibrate tab. In section B you will see "Tuned" and "Real". Tuned should be indicating the frequency that HDSDR zapped you too...... in my case it was 10.000059 in both boxes. In the Real box I simply type in "10" and hit calibrate B.

          My Si5170s usually hold within +-2-3 Hz after a 30 minute warmup.

          Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

          > Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: HDSDR Alignment/calibration Question
          >

          > . What I do that seems to help
          > > is to use the reset button to reset the calibration to factory, then
          > > calibrate it.
          >
          > John,
          >
          > No, not the Reset button.
          >
          > Always use "Calibrate A" this sets the Si570 by way of it's factory calibrated registers. Should be within 1.5ppm.
          >
          > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

        • lc_hdsdr
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
            Hi all,

            i'd prefer using ECSS over CW (Zap): it's more precise with it's AFC.

            kind regards,
            LC

          • richard.lawn@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
              I followed the alignment procedures again using the web pages that Alan suggested. Also made up a crossed cable for use with PwrSDR. All is now calibrated quite well and I'm able to use both PwrSDR and HDSDR with FlDigi and my Ensemble RXTX. Even had a few QSOs so all so well. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. Hope to see you on my waterfall.

              Rick
              W2JAZ

              > Subject: Re: [softrock40] HDSDR Alignment/calibration Question
              >

              > >Sounds like you might need to swap IQ channels on TX. If I remember right you need to do that while transmitting.
              >
              > Jim may well be right.
              > Have you checked whether you are transmitting your strongest signal on the correct frequency?
              > Have you checked transmit image rejection?
              >
              > Frequency calibration https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/calibrating-the-softrock-si570-usb-controller Just "Calibrate A" is
              > often good enough.
              >
              > Settiing TX image https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/hdsdr-iq-balance
              >
              > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

            • yl2gqn
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 9, 2013
                Please note, if you do not have TX I/Q crossed you will have exactly 1,200 Hz shift for TX freq in PowerSDR.

                Regards,
                Andy. YL2QN