Re: [softrock40] HDSDR Alignment/calibration Question

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 29 11:07 PM
      Subject: Re: [softrock40] HDSDR Alignment/calibration Question

      >Sounds like you might need to swap IQ channels on TX. If I remember right you need to do that while transmitting.

      Jim may well be right.
      Have you checked whether you are transmitting your strongest signal on the correct frequency?
      Have you checked transmit image rejection?

      Frequency calibration https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/calibrating-the-softrock-si570-usb-controller Just "Calibrate A" is
      often good enough.

      Settiing TX image https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/hdsdr-iq-balance

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • richard.lawn@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 30 6:39 AM
        Sorry I didn't give enough info. Ill also follow the other suggestions again.
        I'm using hdsdr and CFGSR. I put HDSDR in the cw mode and used the WWV carrier at 10.000 MHz for alignment through CFGSR. I'm assuming that both receive and transmit are off as I've worked a few psk31 stations on 20m at a freq of about 14098! Obviously not right.

        I believe Alan has supplied some links for alignment procedure which I know I've done before but ill try it again this morning.

        Thanks
        Rick
        W2jaz

        > Rick
        >
        > Jim may be right but you can help us help you if you give more detailed information:
        >
        > What software?
        > Calibrated WWV how? CFSGR?
        > Frequency is off on transmit, receiver, both?
        > How are you determining off frequency. Listening on another rig?
        > What are the indicated and actual frequencies?
        >
        > Warren Allgyer - W8TOD
        >

        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "richard.lawn@" <rjlawn@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm stumped on aligning my Ensemble RXTX. I'm enjoying nice DX QSOs now using PSK31, but the frequency readout is way off, like 14.099! I've aligned it using 10.000 mhz WWV, but that doesn't seem to matter. Obviously I'm missing something here and would appreciate some help.
        > >
        > > Rick
        > > W2JAZ

      • John Williams
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 30 7:10 AM
          Rick,

          I have had trouble with alignment at times. What I do that seems to help is to use the reset button to reset the calibration to factory, then calibrate it. That seem to work reliably for me. Make sure your RX I/Q is correct. If you calibrate with it opposite, it will not get to the right freq. I calibrated mine to within 2 Hz and when I check it occasionally it is usually within 5-7 Hz months later.

          John - ke5ssh

          --

          John Williams

          KE5SSH - ham since 2007
          WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

        • John Greusel
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 30 7:10 AM
            Rick,

            Use ExtIO in HDSDR- not CFGSR. It's fairly simple you just tune in WWV and go to the calibrate tab in ExtIO and put in the set frequency versus the desired frequency and hit calibrate. When you go back to the waterfall you'll know you did it right because WWV will be right where you want it. You can check to see if your IQ is backwards by sending SSB into a dumny load and listening (on another radio) to hear if you're LSB or USB.

            John
            KC9OJV

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 30 8:14 AM

              . What I do that seems to help
              > is to use the reset button to reset the calibration to factory, then
              > calibrate it.

              John,

              No, not the Reset button.

              Always use "Calibrate A" this sets the Si570 by way of it's factory calibrated registers. Should be within 1.5ppm.

              73 Alan G4ZFQ
            • John Williams
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 30 3:50 PM
                Alan,

                Thanks - I did not know that! Always wondered what the calibrate A was used for. So let me see if  I have this. Hit Calibrate A, then tune to WWV on 10 MHz using CW Zap, then put in 10000000 in real freq, then hit calibrate B? Is that right?

                John - ke5ssh
                On 3/30/2013 10:14 AM, Alan wrote:

                > is to use the reset button to reset the calibration to factory, then
                > calibrate it.

                John,

                No, not the Reset button.

                Always use "Calibrate A" this sets the Si570 by way of it's factory calibrated registers. Should be within 1.5ppm.

                John Williams

                KE5SSH - ham since 2007
                WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

              • warrenallgyer
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 30 4:02 PM
                  Calibrate A gets the Si5170 close. 1.5 ppm at 56.32 MHz gets it within 75 Hz or so. Then you still need to tune HDSDR to a known signal. I like to do it in CW mode and then click on CW Zap to precisely center the carrier. Then bring up EXTIO and select the Calibrate tab. In section B you will see "Tuned" and "Real". Tuned should be indicating the frequency that HDSDR zapped you too...... in my case it was 10.000059 in both boxes. In the Real box I simply type in "10" and hit calibrate B.

                  My Si5170s usually hold within +-2-3 Hz after a 30 minute warmup.

                  Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

                  > Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: HDSDR Alignment/calibration Question
                  >

                  > . What I do that seems to help
                  > > is to use the reset button to reset the calibration to factory, then
                  > > calibrate it.
                  >
                  > John,
                  >
                  > No, not the Reset button.
                  >
                  > Always use "Calibrate A" this sets the Si570 by way of it's factory calibrated registers. Should be within 1.5ppm.
                  >
                  > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                • lc_hdsdr
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 30 6:10 PM
                    Hi all,

                    i'd prefer using ECSS over CW (Zap): it's more precise with it's AFC.

                    kind regards,
                    LC

                  • richard.lawn@ymail.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 30 8:31 PM
                      I followed the alignment procedures again using the web pages that Alan suggested. Also made up a crossed cable for use with PwrSDR. All is now calibrated quite well and I'm able to use both PwrSDR and HDSDR with FlDigi and my Ensemble RXTX. Even had a few QSOs so all so well. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. Hope to see you on my waterfall.

                      Rick
                      W2JAZ

                      > Subject: Re: [softrock40] HDSDR Alignment/calibration Question
                      >

                      > >Sounds like you might need to swap IQ channels on TX. If I remember right you need to do that while transmitting.
                      >
                      > Jim may well be right.
                      > Have you checked whether you are transmitting your strongest signal on the correct frequency?
                      > Have you checked transmit image rejection?
                      >
                      > Frequency calibration https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/calibrating-the-softrock-si570-usb-controller Just "Calibrate A" is
                      > often good enough.
                      >
                      > Settiing TX image https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/hdsdr-iq-balance
                      >
                      > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                    • yl2gqn
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 9, 2013
                        Please note, if you do not have TX I/Q crossed you will have exactly 1,200 Hz shift for TX freq in PowerSDR.

                        Regards,
                        Andy. YL2QN