Ensemble RXTX Stage Four Voltages

  • timinuganda
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 28, 2013
      I decided to pick this up again. I am on stage 4 and these are my voltages.

      Current draw 13.17V .5mA

      R13 – 2.46V
      R14 – 4.98V

      IC Pin Voltage

      01 – 4.99
      02 – 0.01
      03 – 2.46
      04 – 4.99
      05 – 0.01
      06 – 4.98
      07 – 0
      08 – 4.98
      09 – 0.01
      10 – 4.98
      11 – 2.46
      12 – 4.98
      13 – 4.98
      14 – 4.98

      Local Oscillator was running under USB power and 13V power.

      I have checked for traces between the legs, re-flowed the legs a few times but still get some off readings. Any suggestions welcome.

      tim
      5R8Z
    • warrenallgyer
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 28, 2013
        Tim

        I would guess there is no clock getting to pins 3 and or 6 from the LO. These flip flops are stuck in a static state and not being toggled.

        Either the oscillator is not running or there is something wrong with the connection. If I had to bet I would say you have a bad solder joint on T1 as the most likely cause.

        Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 28, 2013
          Subject: [softrock40] Ensemble RXTX Stage Four Voltages

          >I decided to pick this up again. I am on stage 4 and these are my voltages.

          Tim latest here, <http://www.wb5rvz.org/> "Dividers" not actually referenced stage 4.

          The figures indicate that the IC is not being clocked by the signal from the Si570 previous stage.

          If the USB is connected and it is definitely working (you hear the signal on a RX?) then look at Si570 pin 4, C76, T1, C3, for wrong
          fitting, bad soldering or possible short circuits. Even a whisker of un-etched copper.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 28, 2013
            Ok, I have referenced the newer build notes.

            Yes, I can change frequency and can here the tone on the frequency I choose with CFGSR.

            Here is what I have so far:

            Si570 pin 4 – 1.75+V

            C76 – 1.75+V near Si570 pin 4 and 0.17+ V after.

            T1 – I uninstalled this transformer and reinstalled. Continuity is correct. Installation keeps the pairs on the proper sides, SS and PP.

            I didn't understand your C3 reference, I assumed it was C53 but didn't know if I should be measuring volts on C76 and C53 or something else.

            I will be traveling starting this weekend so IF I can finish the "Dividers" stage I will stop and start "RF I/O and Switching" stage after travels.

            Thanks everyone for your time and patience with a novice builder.

            tim
            5R8Z

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 28, 2013
              Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:18 PM
              Subject: [softrock40] Re: Ensemble RXTX Stage Four Voltages

              >Yes, I can change frequency and can here the tone on the frequency I choose with CFGSR.

              Tim,

              As Warren said bad soldering on T1 is the most likely suspect.

              C3 is on the Oscillator page. Just check soldering and that it is not broken. It is unlikely that it is faulty.

              73 Alan G4ZFQ