TXRX software options and sound source switching

  • ltj_designs
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 19, 2006
      The TXRX upgrade arrived and the receiver is working great. I moved
      from a laptop to a desktop computer (both with built-in sound cards)
      and the desktop performance is so much better. I'm driving the TXRX
      with a DDS60 and the phone portion of 40meters was hopping with the
      Sweepstakes this weekend. What fun.

      I have not tested the exciter and the two power transistors are not
      yet mounted. I already have an amplifier chain to bring this to 100W
      output, so I'm eager to get everything running smoothly.

      So far as I can tell there is no FAQ for setting up software and
      hardware for full RX, TX, and VFO operation. Right now I am using
      PowerSDR with DDS VFO to receive. I have tried Rocky, which also
      works ok for receive.

      I now realize that putting together full TX/RX and VFO operation
      requires a lot of glue. There is a thread on using two sound cards
      with PowerSDR. That would avoid audio device switching, I guess. I
      have not figured how to set up PowerSDR to even recognize the exciter
      in the SoftRock40 TXRX. I don't know how to run two copies of
      PowerSDR, even if I had another sound board. Is there any way to get
      PowerSDR to control the DDS60?

      Is anyone developing an application specificly for the TXRX?

      At the very least, I would like to know what are the current and near
      future options? This covers what little I know:

      1. Run two applications, one for receive, one for transmit. Choose
      from PowerSDR, Rocky, other?
      2. Use two sound cards or use external audio device switching
      3. Use DDS VFO, hardware VFO circuit, other option(?) to control the
      DDS60.

      Am I missing something?

      Thanks to anyone who can help me organize the available information.

      Andy
    • Guido
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 20, 2006
        Hi Andy,

        On 11/20/06, ltj_designs <arm@...> wrote:
        [...] There is a thread on using two sound cards
        with PowerSDR. That would avoid audio device switching, I guess. [...]

         In the past, I modified PowerSDR to enable TX for SoftRock40 and to operate with two sound cards. (it can be downloaded, see: http://www.rootshell.be/~pe1nnz ). It uses VAC for the second soundcard. It works, but the latency is noticeable.

        Is anyone developing an application specificly for the TXRX?

        Because I like the dual sound card setup too and like simplicity, now just thinking in another direction. Made some very experimental code in C++ to interface directly to the kernel sound interface, that interface directly with the WDM drivers to keep latency low. This must lead to a RockyTRX, but this is easier said then done.

        73,
        Guido.

      • ltj_designs
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 24, 2006
          Thank you for the suggestion. I downloaded the modified powerSDR. I
          have two sound cards, a built-in (SoundMax) and USB (Soundblaster),
          but I don't understand how to set them up. Right now I am only using
          the USB Soundblaster: SoftRock RX going to the sound card line in, a
          speaker on the speaker output, and a microphone on the microphone
          input. To transmit, I have to disconnect the speaker and connect the
          SoftRock TX. I have played with it a lot, but still don't quite get
          how to use both sound cards.

          I also don't understand how to activate the T/R switch on the V6.0
          TXRX board when I use the MOX button on the PowerSDR GUI. Is that
          possible, or do I need an external T/R switch?

          Thanks for any help here.

          Andy

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Guido <threeme3@...> wrote:

          > Hi Andy,
          >
          > On 11/20/06, ltj_designs <arm@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > [...] There is a thread on using two sound cards
          > > with PowerSDR. That would avoid audio device switching, I guess.
          [...]
          > In the past, I modified PowerSDR to enable TX for SoftRock40 and
          to operate
          > with two sound cards. (it can be downloaded, see:
          > http://www.rootshell.be/~pe1nnz <http://www.rootshell.be/%
          7Epe1nnz> ). It
          > uses VAC for the second soundcard. It works, but the latency is
          noticeable.

          > Is anyone developing an application specificly for the TXRX?
          >

          > Because I like the dual sound card setup too and like simplicity,
          now just
          > thinking in another direction. Made some very experimental code in
          C++ to
          > interface directly to the kernel sound interface, that interface
          directly
          > with the WDM drivers to keep latency low. This must lead to a
          RockyTRX, but
          > this is easier said then done.
          >
          > 73,
          > Guido.

        • Guido
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 29, 2006
            Hi Andy,

            On 11/25/06, ltj_designs <arm@...> wrote:
            Thank you for the suggestion. I downloaded the modified powerSDR. I
            have two sound cards, a built-in (SoundMax) and USB (Soundblaster),
            but I don't understand how to set them up. Right now I am only using
            the USB Soundblaster: SoftRock RX going to the sound card line in, a
            speaker on the speaker output, and a microphone on the microphone
            input. To transmit, I have to disconnect the speaker and connect the
            SoftRock TX. I have played with it a lot, but still don't quite get
            how to use both sound cards.

            What you describe is exactly how it operates within the original PowerSDR and how it is intended. The lineout is switched over the speaker and qse depending of the mute state. Some soundcards do have a seperate spreaker output, in this case the Windows Mixer could be used for switching.

            In my modified version [1], there is dual soundcard support. One soundcard may be used to connect the microphone (mic_in) and speaker (line_out), while the other soundcard connects the qse (line_out) and qsd (line_in). To use this feature, VAC must be enabled; the soundcard for microphone and speaker must be selected on the VAC tab; "Use as primary device" must be enabled; and on the first tab, the soundcard for qse,qsd must be selected, with appropriate mixer settings. I made this configuration to prevent switching, and for potential feature to be able to monitor ones transmitted signal.

            I also don't understand how to activate the T/R switch on the V6.0
            TXRX board when I use the MOX button on the PowerSDR GUI. Is that
            possible, or do I need an external T/R switch?

            The original powersdr and my modified version using the DB6 (pin 8) output on the parallel port to switch the TX, it is negatively clocked by means of autofeed signal (pin 14). I know Duncan, m0kgk and Bill, kb5tfd did use an easier scheme in their software, but this makes use of a serial port (which is probable to be absent on current hardware).
            Currently I am using a switch, maybe I will modify powersdr to just switch DB6 in an unclocked fashion,, or maybe I will switch by monitoring the qse input.

            Thanks for any help here.

            Andy

            [1] PowerSDR sr40 extensions, http://www.rootshell.be/~pe1nnz

            73,
            Guido
          • Andrew R. Mitz
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 29, 2006
              Guido,

              It is very nice of you to help. I am beginning to understand, but I have more questions.

              My sound card has a separate speaker out and line out. How do I tell PowerSDR to use
              the speaker out for sound from the receiver audio and the line out for QSE when I hit
              the MOX button? The Audio > Sound Card setup has Input and Output (which seem to select the sound card) and Receive and Transmit. Does the mixer channel change in Transmit mode? There is something I am missing here!

              The Parallel port connection is good information. I could not find detailed information on the parallel port connections for the PowerSDR/SDR-1000. Do you know where I can find the full specifications?  I will have to add a second Parallel port. One is used for DDS VFO to control the DDS60.

              Thanks you.

              andy WA3LTJ

              At 09:10 AM 11/29/2006, Guido wrote:
[...]

              Andy Mitz (WA3LTJ)

            • Terry
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 29, 2006
                From Terry, WB4JFI:
                Juat a note that I am working with the DLP Design 2232 module to
                control an AD9850 (at first) using USB instaed of serial or parallel
                ports.

                I have been using DDS chips and the parallel port for many years, and
                parallel ports of other hardware interfacing since the PC came out
                (being a hardware person - that was t6he easiest interface), and
                before that using CP/M.

                However, I have detected a trend that is forcing me to change...
                the "legacy port" concept. In the legacy port concept, serial and
                parallel ports cost too much and are no longer being installed in new
                computers. Both the Dell XPS-400 I bought in April and the toshiba
                laptop I just bought a month ago do not have any parallel or serial
                ports. The XPS has a free PCI bus connector, so adding a parallel
                port wasn't too bad (using some wierd address, however). The laptop
                is another story. I finally found a USB-to-serial adaptor that works
                good with no latency. Cost was bot $35.00. I also found a Quatech
                PCMCIA-to-parallel port adaptor for about $100.00, it also uses wierd
                port addresses. Both work fine with SoftRock and SDR-1000 hardware.

                Apparently the PCMCIA is becoming "legacy" as well. A lot of the
                newer laptops don't have PCMCIA anymore, they have an and express-bus
                connector instead. Think of PCMCIA on a diet.

                Anyway, the reason for this email is to suggest that we amateur
                experimenters need to start really embracing USB. It's the only
                interface that will be around in a year that we can rely on. A
                number of years ago, I bought a couple boards from DLP design that
                had the FTDI USB serial chip and an 16F877 (or 16F84A) PIC chip. It
                worked good for the project at that time.

                I recently purchased two DLP2232PB-G modules from DLP through Mouser
                at $50.00. This is a little more expensive than some of their USB
                modules, but it has a two-port, parallel version of the FTDI USB
                chip, and an 16F877 PIC on a single module. The neat thing of this
                module is that you can program the PIC through one channel of the USB
                chip.

                Another neat thing is that the 16F877 comes preprogrammed with
                firmware that allows the user to command individual 16F877 bits/pins
                high or low with simple, typically 5-byte commands from the host
                computer.

                I am writing the code to send the serial data, clock, and load
                signals from the 16F877 to the AD9850 right now, it's about 90% done
                (in Visual C++6.0 for now). Once that is done, no more parallel,
                serial, or other traditional interfaces. My next step will be to
                start driving the AD9952/AD9954 chips. I like the 9850 (or 9832/35)
                to test with first, since it is so easy to program - no fancy control
                registers, just frequency info.

                The DLP USB modules use either DLLs or virtual serial ports for
                communicating with user software. Both driver versions are freely
                available, and support Win2K through WinXP, and supposedly Linux.

                I'm not promoting the DLP product other than to say it is becoming
                easier to use USB than it used to. Maybe someone can make new
                software to driver the DDS-60 like I have with my homebrew 9850
                module.

                Mouser also has a deal where you purchase the DLP2232PB-G module and
                a limited version of the CCS C compiler for the 16F877. I have also
                used the CCS C compilers for several years on the 16F84A and 16F877,
                it works fine.

                Again, nto a promo as much as a suggestion for moving forward. I
                hope USB becomes more common on amateur projects, and also hope that
                the PowerSDR software can be adjusted to use common USB hardware.

                Sorry for the long email. Hopefully this triggers more USB work.
                Terry

                7Epe1nnz>http://www.rootshell.be/~pe1nnz

                > >73,
                > >Guido
                >
                > Andy Mitz (WA3LTJ)

              • Dan Andersson
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 29, 2006
                  On Wednesday 29 November 2006 23:48, Terry wrote:
                  > From Terry, WB4JFI:
                  > Juat a note that I am working with the DLP Design 2232 module to
                  > control an AD9850 (at first) using USB instaed of serial or parallel
                  > ports.
                  >
                  > I have been using DDS chips and the parallel port for many years, and
                  > parallel ports of other hardware interfacing since the PC came out
                  > (being a hardware person - that was t6he easiest interface), and
                  > before that using CP/M.
                  >
                  > However, I have detected a trend that is forcing me to change...
                  > the "legacy port" concept. In the legacy port concept, serial and

                  Terry,

                  Use Google to find info on the "miniVNA". It's an AD9951 based VNA with USB
                  port.

                  You can find all hardware info as well as the software for communicating with
                  the DDS, as well as reading a couple of A/D converters.

                  More importantly, there are a Linux version for this miniVNA, written in a
                  non-proprietary C/C++ instead of the more limited VB.

                  If you really really want to spend your time on USB software for the SoftRocks
                  and DDS'es, try writing it all in Java instead of any platform dependent code
                  like VB etc.

                  Dan

                  //Dan

                  --
                  Dan Andersson, M0DFI
                  dan@... dan.andersson@...
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 29, 2006
                    Thaks for the info Dan. I am tryig to save up for one of those
                    devices, it looks real good. I beleive it costs about $290 here in
                    the states, plus shipping. At that price, it appears to be a
                    bargain!! If I hadn't already bought the MFJ 259B first, I would
                    grab a Mini-VNA!!

                    Terry

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Dan Andersson <dan@...> wrote:

                    > On Wednesday 29 November 2006 23:48, Terry wrote:
                    > > From Terry, WB4JFI:
                    > > Juat a note that I am working with the DLP Design 2232 module to
                    > > control an AD9850 (at first) using USB instaed of serial or
                    parallel
                    > > ports.
                    > >
                    > > I have been using DDS chips and the parallel port for many years,
                    and
                    > > parallel ports of other hardware interfacing since the PC came out
                    > > (being a hardware person - that was t6he easiest interface), and
                    > > before that using CP/M.
                    > >
                    > > However, I have detected a trend that is forcing me to change...
                    > > the "legacy port" concept. In the legacy port concept, serial and
                    > >

                    > Terry,
                    >
                    > Use Google to find info on the "miniVNA". It's an AD9951 based VNA
                    with USB
                    > port.
                    >
                    > You can find all hardware info as well as the software for
                    communicating with
                    > the DDS, as well as reading a couple of A/D converters.
                    >
                    > More importantly, there are a Linux version for this miniVNA,
                    written in a
                    > non-proprietary C/C++ instead of the more limited VB.
                    >

                    > If you really really want to spend your time on USB software for
                    the SoftRocks
                    > and DDS'es, try writing it all in Java instead of any platform
                    dependent code
                    > like VB etc.
                    >

                    > Dan
                    >

                    > //Dan
                    >
                    > --
                    > Dan Andersson, M0DFI
                    > dan@... dan.andersson@...

                  • Tom Rowley
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 29, 2006

                      You're definitely right - USB is here to stay and the serial and parallel ports are fast becoming rare

                      The problem of using USB has two components - the USB device controller and the PC control software

                      Turns out there is a simple solution to making a USB device. Microchip has a line of PIC 2450/2550/4550 which have the USB support built in. And, they provide the sample code for making both HID and CDC devices. Even better, the code is available on their free C18 'C' compiler, so you can build on their base and add code to control things connected to the PIC such as a VFO

                      Here's the pointer to the PIC stuff

                      A bit more challenging is the PC side of the problem.

                      At first,using the Human Interface class of device seems like the right appproach. But, there is very little support in eitherDelphi,  VB or C# for HID devices. There is some sample code from the USB Complete web site but its very difficult to understand and hard to get working. I spent several months playing with it unsuccessfully

                      A much simple approach is the use the CDC device class. This is basically an rs-232 emulation, so when you plug in the PIC to USB connection, the device looks like a new serial port. Then you can communicate with it using any programming vehicle that has serial I/O. Even Hyperterminal works to send simple messages

                      I'm close to having a PIC USB controller for the DDS-60 written in C18 on the PIC and controlled by a C# program on the PC.

                      I'll publish it as soon as debugged

                      Tom
                      w2ter

                    • pvharman@arach.net.au
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 29, 2006
                        Tom,

                        I've also spent some time playing with the PIC 18F4550 USB interface. Just one
                        thing to be aware of, your PIC code needs to keep servicing the USB interface
                        i.e. you can't sit in a loop waiting for your event to take place and hence
                        starve the USB interface of attention. The simplest way I found to overcome
                        this is to use a state machine rather than 'for' or 'while' loops.

                        If you need a higher speed USB interface then I recommend using the FX2 range.
                        These will transfer data at >30MB/s and have a simple FIFO interface to the C
                        code, hence no need for a state machine. The open source libusb driver is
                        straightforward to use on the PC. Free compilers are also available along with
                        sample code.

                        73's Phil...VK6APH

                        Quoting Tom Rowley <tom.rowley@...>:

                        > You're definitely right - USB is here to stay and the serial and parallel
                        > ports are fast becoming rare
                        >
                        > The problem of using USB has two components - the USB device controller and
                        > the PC control software
                        >
                        > Turns out there is a simple solution to making a USB device. Microchip has a
                        > line of PIC 2450/2550/4550 which have the USB support built in. And, they
                        > provide the sample code for making both HID and CDC devices. Even better, the
                        > code is available on their free C18 'C' compiler, so you can build on their
                        > base and add code to control things connected to the PIC such as a VFO
                        >
                        > Here's the pointer to the PIC stuff
                        > http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?
                        IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=2124¶m=en022613&Pagetitle=Full%20Speed%20USB%
                        20Solutions

                        > A bit more challenging is the PC side of the problem.
                        >
                        > At first,using the Human Interface class of device seems like the right
                        > appproach. But, there is very little support in eitherDelphi, VB or C# for
                        > HID devices. There is some sample code from the USB Complete web site but its
                        > very difficult to understand and hard to get working. I spent several months
                        > playing with it unsuccessfully
                        >
                        > A much simple approach is the use the CDC device class. This is basically an
                        > rs-232 emulation, so when you plug in the PIC to USB connection, the device
                        > looks like a new serial port. Then you can communicate with it using any
                        > programming vehicle that has serial I/O. Even Hyperterminal works to send
                        > simple messages
                        >
                        > I'm close to having a PIC USB controller for the DDS-60 written in C18 on the
                        > PIC and controlled by a C# program on the PC.
                        >
                        > I'll publish it as soon as debugged
                        >
                        > Tom
                        > w2ter

                      • Steven Bible
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 29, 2006
                          Hi Tom,

                          Have you looked at the C# source code for the PICkit 2 Microcontroller Programmer?  The PICkit 2 uses the PIC18F2550 and uses the HID class.  It might be a good place to start.

                          There is also Linux versions.  Do a Google search of "pickit 2 linux" (without the quotes).

                          - Steve N7HPR

> [...]

                          settings. I made this configuration to prevent switching, and for
                          potential feature to be able to monitor ones transmitted signal.

                          > >I also don't understand how to activate the T/R switch on the V6.0
                          > >TXRX board when I use the MOX button on the PowerSDR GUI. Is that
                          > >possible, or do I need an external T/R switch?
                          > >

                          > >The original powersdr and my modified version using the DB6 (pin
                          8) output on the parallel port to switch the TX, it is negatively
                          clocked by means of autofeed signal (pin 14). I know Duncan, m0kgk
                          and Bill, kb5tfd did use an easier scheme in their software, but this
                          makes use of a serial port (which is probable to be absent on current
                          hardware).
                          > >Currently I am using a switch, maybe I will modify powersdr to
                          just switch DB6 in an unclocked fashion,, or maybe I will switch by

                        • Bill Tracey
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 29, 2006
                            If all you're interested in controlling is a 9850/1 you can do it with just
                            the FTDI chips and bit bang it using the D2XX drivers from FTDI - a bit
                            cheaper than one with a PIC in the loop. I built such a controller a while
                            back using the 2nd generation FTDI chips, drove it with some Java code to
                            using the JD2XX libraries. Since then FTDI has come out with their 3rd gen
                            chips that don't need a crystal or EEPROM which makes things cheaper still.

                            Agreed the serial and parallel ports are going the way of the steam
                            engine. For simple bit bang stuff I've used the FTDI chips and they are
                            pretty easy to use with drivers for Windows and Linux. For more complex
                            protocols or USB 2 480 MBps connectivity I'm partial to the FX2 chips -
                            using one of them for HPSDR and it seems to work just fine and plenty of
                            code around for it. Haven't done much with the PICs as yet so can't
                            comment on their USB support.

                            Your comment on PowerSDR being adapted to use common USB hardware has me
                            confused. Currently I think PowerSDR (in the context of a SoftRock) only
                            needs a USB to Serial adapter to be able to do keying and T/R
                            switching. If you're talking PowerSDR in the context of the SDR 1000,
                            Flex-Radio already has a USB to SDR 1000 adapter they offer.

                            Cheers,

                            Bill (kd5tfd)

                            At 05:48 PM 11/29/2006, Terry wrote:
                            > From Terry, WB4JFI:
                            >Juat a note that I am working with the DLP Design 2232 module to
                            >control an AD9850 (at first) using USB instaed of serial or parallel
                            >ports.
                            ><... snip...>
                            >
                            >Anyway, the reason for this email is to suggest that we amateur
                            >experimenters need to start really embracing USB. It's the only
                            >interface that will be around in a year that we can rely on. A
                            >number of years ago, I bought a couple boards from DLP design that
                            >had the FTDI USB serial chip and an 16F877 (or 16F84A) PIC chip. It
                            >worked good for the project at that time.
                            ><... snip ...>
                            >Again, nto a promo as much as a suggestion for moving forward. I
                            >hope USB becomes more common on amateur projects, and also hope that
                            >the PowerSDR software can be adjusted to use common USB hardware.
                            >
                            >Sorry for the long email. Hopefully this triggers more USB work.
                            >Terry
                          • Terry
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 29, 2006
                              Hello guys.

                              With this move to USB, has anyone gotten to standardizing the
                              messages to USB devices to change frequencies, and other commands?

                              I sort of remember there were comments about doing this a while back,
                              but I have lost touch if it is ongoing. I think that aim was to
                              standardize RS-232 commands, but the concept is the same.

                              I'd rather write the host comptuer code, and the PIC code to match a
                              standard if there is one, that way maybe PowerSDR and other software
                              package authors would be more inclined to add USB support.

                              If there aren't any standards, do you guys want to create one? Maybe
                              this is off-topic, and should be somewhere else, but I would like to
                              pursue it.
                              Thanks.
                              Terry
                              WB4JFI
                              tfox@...

                              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Bible" <srbible@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Tom,
                              >
                              > Have you looked at the C# source code for the PICkit 2
                              Microcontroller
                              > Programmer? The PICkit 2 uses the PIC18F2550 and uses the HID
                              class. It
                              > might be a good place to start.
                              >
                              > http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?
                              IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1960

                              http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/PICkit2PCAppSourceV2_0
                              1.zip

                              > There is also Linux versions. Do a Google search of "pickit 2
                              linux"
                              > (without the quotes).
                              >
                              > - Steve N7HPR

                            • Terry
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 29, 2006
                                Bill, thanks for the comments. Yes, it would be even easier to wire
                                the FTDI chip directly to the DDS device. Good idea.

                                My comment was related to driving a DDS chip as the LO for the
                                softrock receiver of RxTx unit - making a frequency-agile SoftRock.
                                tony now has the extra pins to drive the SoftRock LO from an external
                                LO, such as a DDS. With several people using the DDS-60 or other DDS
                                units, it would be nice to be able to move through more of the band
                                under software control instead of LCD/encoders. It would also be
                                good to get around the sound-card bandwidth limitations.

                                I think this would be focused mostly ion single-band operation like
                                the RxTx unit, or SR receivers, so I don't think this would threaten
                                the SDR-1000.

                                Anyway, that is what I was contemplating with the comments.

                                Thanks for all your work on PowerSDR, by the way. Does the latest
                                1.6.3 version support SR transmit like the test code you had posted
                                links to here? I am still using that test code, and was just
                                wondering...

                                Thanks again.
                                Terry

                                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bill Tracey <kd5tfd@...> wrote:

                                > If all you're interested in controlling is a 9850/1 you can do it
                                with just
                                > the FTDI chips and bit bang it using the D2XX drivers from FTDI - a
                                bit
                                > cheaper than one with a PIC in the loop. I built such a controller
                                a while
                                > back using the 2nd generation FTDI chips, drove it with some Java
                                code to
                                > using the JD2XX libraries. Since then FTDI has come out with their
                                3rd gen
                                > chips that don't need a crystal or EEPROM which makes things
                                cheaper still.

                                > Agreed the serial and parallel ports are going the way of the steam
                                > engine. For simple bit bang stuff I've used the FTDI chips and
                                they are
                                > pretty easy to use with drivers for Windows and Linux. For more
                                complex
                                > protocols or USB 2 480 MBps connectivity I'm partial to the FX2
                                chips -
                                > using one of them for HPSDR and it seems to work just fine and
                                plenty of
                                > code around for it. Haven't done much with the PICs as yet so
                                can't
                                > comment on their USB support.
                                >
                                > Your comment on PowerSDR being adapted to use common USB hardware
                                has me
                                > confused. Currently I think PowerSDR (in the context of a
                                SoftRock) only
                                > needs a USB to Serial adapter to be able to do keying and T/R
                                > switching. If you're talking PowerSDR in the context of the SDR
                                1000,
                                > Flex-Radio already has a USB to SDR 1000 adapter they offer.
                                >
                                > Cheers,
                                >
                                > Bill (kd5tfd)
                                >
                                > At 05:48 PM 11/29/2006, Terry wrote:
                                > > From Terry, WB4JFI:
                                > >Juat a note that I am working with the DLP Design 2232 module to
                                > >control an AD9850 (at first) using USB instaed of serial or
                                parallel
                                > >ports.
                                > ><... snip...>
                                > >
                                > >Anyway, the reason for this email is to suggest that we amateur
                                > >experimenters need to start really embracing USB. It's the only
                                > >interface that will be around in a year that we can rely on. A
                                > >number of years ago, I bought a couple boards from DLP design that
                                > >had the FTDI USB serial chip and an 16F877 (or 16F84A) PIC chip.
                                It
                                > >worked good for the project at that time.
                                > ><... snip ...>
                                > >Again, nto a promo as much as a suggestion for moving forward. I
                                > >hope USB becomes more common on amateur projects, and also hope
                                that
                                > >the PowerSDR software can be adjusted to use common USB hardware.
                                > >
                                > >Sorry for the long email. Hopefully this triggers more USB work.
                                > >Terry

                              • T Hoflich
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 29, 2006
                                  A very nice solution to this might be the UBW described by
                                  the following:

                                  <http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=762>

                                  This comes with software (they call firmware) which can be
                                  controlled from the PC using Liberty Basic. This could be
                                  done in Visual Basic or whatever.
                                  You can also write (and program) the UBW with your own
                                  firmware written in whatever you like (assembler or C for
                                  example).

                                  As far as protocol for commands, consider what is used by
                                  Yaesu, Icom, or Kenwood. These are documented and you could
                                  use already existing software (like ham-radio-deluxe).

                                  73 Tom KM5h

                                  --- Terry <wb4jfi@...> wrote:

                                  > Hello guys.
                                  >
                                  > With this move to USB, has anyone gotten to standardizing
                                  > the
                                  > messages to USB devices to change frequencies, and other
                                  > commands?

                                  http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                                • Dan Andersson
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 30, 2006
                                    On Thursday 30 November 2006 00:22, Terry wrote:
                                    > Thaks for the info Dan. I am tryig to save up for one of those
                                    > devices, it looks real good. I beleive it costs about $290 here in
                                    > the states, plus shipping. At that price, it appears to be a
                                    > bargain!! If I hadn't already bought the MFJ 259B first, I would
                                    > grab a Mini-VNA!!
                                    >
                                    > Terry

                                    Sure Terry,

                                    Do get one as it's a real bargain!

                                    However...

                                    I build my miniVNA fromscratch but kept the parallellport design...
                                    I simply married a VNA1 port and A/D design with the DDS-Ad9951 design from
                                    Andreas Stefan, FL5MGD. This way, I can use the software from these
                                    peeps "as is". The apparently designed an interim solution of the miniVNA but
                                    without the USB port.

                                    These VNA's are deeply addicting and you quickly succumb to a total
                                    dependency... :)

                                    Cheers

                                    Dan

                                    --
                                    Dan Andersson, M0DFI
                                    dan@... dan.andersson@...
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 1, 2006
                                      Guido and others,

                                      Because there is software being written for these receivers I thought I
                                      would post this question here.

                                      I have done some programming in the past in Basic and Pascal and am thinking
                                      of taking up programming again. I am interested in how to write programs for
                                      sound cards because I see signal processing as a demanding field for
                                      programmers.

                                      If I am a beginner as far as soundcard programming goes and I have not
                                      writen programs that will run in Windows where would I start as far as
                                      learning first the basics and then write maybe simple routines to start and
                                      eventually to more complex. Are there tutorials around? What programming
                                      language would be best to learn? Thanks!

                                      Loren

                                      >Thank you for the suggestion. I downloaded the modified powerSDR. I
                                      >have two sound cards, a built-in (SoundMax) and USB (Soundblaster),
                                      >but I don't understand how to set them up. Right now I am only using
                                      >the USB Soundblaster: SoftRock RX going to the sound card line in, a
                                      >speaker on the speaker output, and a microphone on the microphone
                                      >input. To transmit, I have to disconnect the speaker and connect the
                                      >SoftRock TX. I have played with it a lot, but still don't quite get
                                      >how to use both sound cards.

                                      What you describe is exactly how it operates within the original PowerSDR
                                      and how it is intended. The lineout is switched over the speaker and qse
                                      depending of the mute state. Some soundcards do have a seperate spreaker
                                      output, in this case the Windows Mixer could be used for switching.

                                      In my modified version [1], there is dual soundcard support. One soundcard
                                      may be used to connect the microphone (mic_in) and speaker (line_out), while
                                      the other soundcard connects the qse (line_out) and qsd (line_in). To use
                                      this feature, VAC must be enabled; the soundcard for microphone and speaker
                                      must be selected on the VAC tab; "Use as primary device" must be enabled;
                                      and on the first tab, the soundcard for qse,qsd must be selected, with
                                      appropriate mixer settings. I made this configuration to prevent switching,
                                      and for potential feature to be able to monitor ones transmitted signal.

                                      I also don't understand how to activate the T/R switch on the V6.0
                                      >TXRX board when I use the MOX button on the PowerSDR GUI. Is that
                                      >possible, or do I need an external T/R switch?

                                      The original powersdr and my modified version using the DB6 (pin 8) output
                                      on the parallel port to switch the TX, it is negatively clocked by means of
                                      autofeed signal (pin 14). I know Duncan, m0kgk and Bill, kb5tfd did use an
                                      easier scheme in their software, but this makes use of a serial port (which
                                      is probable to be absent on current hardware).
                                      Currently I am using a switch, maybe I will modify powersdr to just switch
                                      DB6 in an unclocked fashion,, or maybe I will switch by monitoring the qse
                                      input.

                                      Thanks for any help here.

                                      >Andy

                                      [1] PowerSDR sr40 extensions,
                                      http://www.rootshell.be/~pe1nnz<http://www.rootshell.be/%7Epe1nnz>

                                      73,
                                      Guido

                                      Get the latest Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta version.�Join now.
                                      http://ideas.live.com
                                    • Ken N9VV
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Dec 1, 2006
                                        Loren, I bet that the "soundcard" programming that you referenced
                                        has something to do with DSP.

                                        You might want to start with some basic and essential information
                                        about DSP technology. Here is a famous website with a FREE copy of
                                        a massive book called:
                                        "The Scientist and Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing"
                                        By Steven W. Smith, Ph.D. http://www.dspguide.com/pdfbook.htm

                                        there are dozens of other resources out on the web. Flex-Radio
                                        also has a knowledge base with loads of good information. Bill
                                        KD5TFD has published modified PowerSDR consoles that support the
                                        beautiful SoftRock receivers and now the new RxTx that he and Tony
                                        KB9YIG designed. Look at his website for some of the (free) source
                                        code in C#

                                        A soundcard is really just a cheap and convenient (not high
                                        performance) way to get access to analog to digital and digital to
                                        analog converter circuits. IMHO: the soundcard was not designed to
                                        be a general purpose programming resource or testbed for DSP, but
                                        rather to sell computers.

                                        GL de ken n9vv

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Dec 1, 2006
                                          Ken,

                                          Thanks for the info. As far as analog to digital I once built an ISA card
                                          with a simple A to D converter and an address decoder and wrote both basic
                                          and Pascal programs to read out the digital value for the analog input but
                                          that was just a 8 bit.

                                          If I knew the address of the digital value for the sound card input I might
                                          be able to do the same only in 16 bit. I guess you have to have the milk
                                          before you eat the meat. I guess this info is available under sound card
                                          resources.

                                          Loren

                                          Loren Moline WA7SKT wrote:
                                          > Are there tutorials around? What programming
                                          > language would be best to learn? Thanks!

                                          View Athlete�s Collections with Live Search
                                          http://sportmaps.live.com/index.html?source=hmemailtaglinenov06&FORM=MGAC01
                                        • Phil Harman
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Dec 1, 2006
                                            Hi Loren,

                                            My first attempt at getting into and out of a sound card used PortAudio
                                            (www.portaudio.com).

                                            This is a very simple API that allows you to capture samples from a sound
                                            card and send samples to a sound card. From memory my "Hello World" was to
                                            create a 1kHz sine wave and send it to the card. I just hacked one of the
                                            examples on their web site.

                                            Once you can get data from the sound card and can send data to it then all
                                            you have to do is the DSP code in the middle - that's the real easy bit ;)

                                            Having dabbled in VB, C, C++ and now C# if I was starting from scratch I
                                            would recommend the free MS Visual C# IDE and lean that.

                                            Hope that helps.

                                            73's Phil...VK6APH

                                            > Because there is software being written for these receivers I thought I
                                            > would post this question here.
                                            >
                                            > I have done some programming in the past in Basic and Pascal and am
                                            > thinking
                                            > of taking up programming again. I am interested in how to write programs
                                            > for
                                            > sound cards because I see signal processing as a demanding field for
                                            > programmers.
                                            >
                                            > If I am a beginner as far as soundcard programming goes and I have not
                                            > writen programs that will run in Windows where would I start as far as
                                            > learning first the basics and then write maybe simple routines to start
                                            > and
                                            > eventually to more complex. Are there tutorials around? What programming
                                            > language would be best to learn? Thanks!
                                            >

                                            > Loren

                                          • James A
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Dec 1, 2006
                                              If your looking for information on how to program sound cards,
                                              check out: http://www.portaudio.com/

                                              Jim
                                              KA2RVO

                                            • Alberto I2PHD
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Dec 3, 2006
                                                Loren Moline WA7SKT wrote:

                                                > If I am a beginner as far as soundcard programming goes and I have not
                                                > writen programs that will run in Windows where would I start as far as
                                                > learning first the basics and then write maybe simple routines to start and
                                                > eventually to more complex. Are there tutorials around? What programming
                                                > language would be best to learn? Thanks!

                                                A few years ago I was asked to write a chapter for a book that was then published by the RSGB. The subject of the
                                                chapter was about dealing with the sound card in Windows, programming-wise. To better explain the text of the chapter, I
                                                wrote an example program in straight C, not C++, so that everybody could modify and compile it with almost any C
                                                compiler. The program is called Humid, that stands for HUM Instant Destroyer (forgive me...:-), as it reads audio data
                                                from the sound card, applies a comb filter to them, tuned either at 50 or 60 Hz, then those filtered audio data are
                                                played back through the sound card in real time. IMHO it is an easy to understand example of interfacing the sound card
                                                under Windows, without resorting to other packages, like Portaudio, which, though very good, add unneeded levels of
                                                complexity, trying to be as general as possible and multiplatform.

                                                If you want to download the source code of Humid, it is here :
                                                http://sundry.i2phd.com/humid.zip

                                                73 Alberto I2PHD