Re: You know you're an oldtimer when... was: Re: [softrock40] Re: SR LLiteII oscillator keeps quitting

  • Brad Thompson
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 24, 2013
      On 3/24/2013 3:41 PM, Alan wrote:

> [...]

      Hello, Alan and the group--

      The HL2 (triode)...

      http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_hl2.html

      ...Reminds me of a U.S. type 30...

      http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_30.html

      ...Which was used in many an older homebrewed
      regenerative receiver.

      Topical content: has anyone used beam-deflection
      tubes such as the 6ME8...

      http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6me8.html

      ...As the switching elements in the front end of a
      Softrock-style receiver design? I've toyed with
      the idea, but I'm pretty well buried in projects at present.

      73--

      Brad AA1IP
    • steve.masticola@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 24, 2013
        Finally took out the 32 MHz crystal and put in the 28 MHz crystal supplied for the 40m option. It oscillated. Put the 32 MHz crystal back and it didn't. So it looks like I fried the crystal by soldering the stabilizing wire on.

        Moral of the story: Ignore the instruction about the stabilizing wire.

        73,
        - WX2S
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 25, 2013
          Subject: [softrock40] Re: SR LLiteII oscillator keeps quitting

          > Finally took out the 32 MHz crystal and put in the 28 MHz crystal supplied for the 40m option. It oscillated. Put the 32 MHz
          > crystal back and it didn't. So it looks like I fried the crystal by soldering the stabilizing wire on.
          >
          > Moral of the story: Ignore the instruction about the stabilizing wire.

          Sometimes different crystals need slightly different component values.
          Yours might be faulty but the situation of requiring component adjustment has occurred before.
          A lot of professional equipment has wires soldered to the can so it seems crystals are not particularly vulnerable to damage in this
          way.