SR LLiteII oscillator keeps quitting

  • steve.masticola@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 24, 2013
      I've checked for soldering problems a few times, and haven't found anything that could cause it. Besides the build notes, are there any voltages I could check? I am also concerned that I might have damaged the crystal by soldering the support wire to it. Is there anyway to check that?

      Thanks and 73,
      Wx2s.
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 24, 2013
        Subject: [softrock40] SR LLiteII oscillator keeps quitting

        > I've checked for soldering problems a few times, and haven't found anything that could cause it. Besides the build notes, are
        > there any voltages I could check? I am also concerned that I might have damaged the crystal by soldering the support wire to it.
        > Is there anyway to check that?

        Sometimes it may not oscillate reliably with the values supplied.
        What frequency? Someone may have experienced this.
        I think I have altered R12 in the past. I'd try 6K8.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • steve.masticola@verizon.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 24, 2013
          32768 kHz. It's for an IF. 73, Steve WX2S

          > Subject: [softrock40] SR LLiteII oscillator keeps quitting
          >

          > > I've checked for soldering problems a few times, and haven't found anything that could cause it. Besides the build notes, are
          > > there any voltages I could check? I am also concerned that I might have damaged the crystal by soldering the support wire to it.
          > > Is there anyway to check that?
          > >

          > Sometimes it may not oscillate reliably with the values supplied.
          > What frequency? Someone may have experienced this.
          > I think I have altered R12 in the past. I'd try 6K8.
          >
          > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

        • Brad Thompson
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 24, 2013
            On 3/24/2013 1:50 PM, steve.masticola@... wrote:
            <snip>

            > > Sometimes it may not oscillate reliably with the values supplied.
            > > What frequency? Someone may have experienced this.
            > > I think I have altered R12 in the past. I'd try 6K8.

            Hello--

            You know you're an electronics oldtimer when you see "6K8"
            and think "triode-hexode oscillator/mixer tube:

            http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6k8.html

            (In practice, the idea of embedding an R, K or M in a
            component's value to denote a decimal point isn't a bad
            idea, as an incontinent housefly landing on a schematic has
            been known to convert a 68K resistor to a 6.8K resistor<g>.

            73--

            Brad AA1IP
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 24, 2013
              Subject: You know you're an oldtimer when... was: Re: [softrock40] Re: SR LLiteII oscillator keeps quitting

              > You know you're an electronics oldtimer when you see "6K8"
              > and think "triode-hexode oscillator/mixer tube:
              >
              > http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6k8.html

              Brad,

              I did not think of that.
              My reasoning goes something like 6V6 needs less typing than 6.6 volts.
              But 6V6 would most likely have rung a bell. My first valve (tube) was a HL2 I think. No, the one for which I paid many weeks of
              pocket money had a top cap. That was before I had any data books, I ran it off 3-4 volts so I could see it glowing. It did well in a
              short wave regenerative receiver.

              73 Alan G4ZFQ

              > (In practice, the idea of embedding an R, K or M in a
              > component's value to denote a decimal point isn't a bad
              > idea, as an incontinent housefly landing on a schematic has
              > been known to convert a 68K resistor to a 6.8K resistor<g>.
              >
              > 73--
              >
              > AA1IP
            • Brad Thompson
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 24, 2013
                On 3/24/2013 3:41 PM, Alan wrote:

> [...]

                Hello, Alan and the group--

                The HL2 (triode)...

                http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_hl2.html

                ...Reminds me of a U.S. type 30...

                http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_30.html

                ...Which was used in many an older homebrewed
                regenerative receiver.

                Topical content: has anyone used beam-deflection
                tubes such as the 6ME8...

                http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6me8.html

                ...As the switching elements in the front end of a
                Softrock-style receiver design? I've toyed with
                the idea, but I'm pretty well buried in projects at present.

                73--

                Brad AA1IP
              • steve.masticola@verizon.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 24, 2013
                  Finally took out the 32 MHz crystal and put in the 28 MHz crystal supplied for the 40m option. It oscillated. Put the 32 MHz crystal back and it didn't. So it looks like I fried the crystal by soldering the stabilizing wire on.

                  Moral of the story: Ignore the instruction about the stabilizing wire.

                  73,
                  - WX2S
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 25, 2013

                    > Finally took out the 32 MHz crystal and put in the 28 MHz crystal supplied for the 40m option. It oscillated. Put the 32 MHz
                    > crystal back and it didn't. So it looks like I fried the crystal by soldering the stabilizing wire on.
                    >
                    > Moral of the story: Ignore the instruction about the stabilizing wire.

                    Sometimes different crystals need slightly different component values.
                    Yours might be faulty but the situation of requiring component adjustment has occurred before.
                    A lot of professional equipment has wires soldered to the can so it seems crystals are not particularly vulnerable to damage in this
                    way.