Ensemble/FlDigi/pwrsdr question

  • richard.lawn@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 20, 2013
      Now that everything appears to be working on my ensemble RXTX I'm trying to sort out vac and its relationship to powersdr and FlDigi. Why do. See line 1 and line 2 in the vac panel of te powersdr setup but I only see one vac line in the receive configuration of FlDigi?

      I also don think my softrock is aligne d properly as I'm hearing psk signals around 14.065 or so.

      Suggestions on both welcome. I've been ready various documentson line abou transmitter/ soundcard / software set up but I guess haven on the right tutorial.

      Rick
      W2JAZ
    • John Williams
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 20, 2013
        Rick,

        I use HDSDR and CFGSDR to calibrate. Basically you bring up hdsdr. Check a SSB signal to insure you have the I/Q polarity correct. It is opposite from PSDR. I then press h to unhide cfgsdr. You tune to WWV - you can use the scope to get it to stop spinning or spinning slowly. It will be off freq by about 5 Khz. You use the calibrate tab on cfgsdr and type in the real freq in the appropriate box, then press calibrate. I then check to see if it is now correct. Last time it did this, I got within 2-3 Hz. It will vary over time more than that based on ambient temp.

        I think someone has a nice writeup with pictures on this procedure but I cannot find it.

        On VAC I use 4.09. If you are on that level, why not configure one more line, then see what you get.

        I posted some screen shots yesterday that show the VAC screen settings.

        John - ke5ssh

        --

        John Williams

        KE5SSH - ham since 2007
        WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 20, 2013
        • 1 Attachment
        • 31 KB
        Message 4 of 6 , Mar 21, 2013
          Rick and John

          You can shorten this a bit and be more precise if you:

          1) Tune the carrier of WWV in the CW mode and then press "CW Zap" to tune it precisely.

          2) Then in CFGSR go to the calibrate window and set the "Should be" window to 5, 10, or whichever frequency you have tuned and hit calibrate.

          This makes it a one step and very precise process.

          Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

          Message 5 of 6 , Mar 21, 2013
            TNX everyone for the helpful replies. I now have my Ensemble calibrated, though still not sure how to balance/calibrate the IQ transmit lines especially since Rocky will not work with my sound card. I'd also like to know how much output to expect on 40, 30 and 20 meters. I think I'm in the ballpark but not sure.

            I installed a 3rd VAC and that seems to have solved the problem in Fldigi that for some reason would not see any available virtual audio lines in the Playback options. I think it may be time to consider buying a good used Windows only laptop as my MacBook Pro on occasion makes things even more complicated than they should be especially when it comes to the sound cards.

            Rick
            W2JAZ

            Message 6 of 6 , Mar 22, 2013
              Subject: [softrock40] Re: Ensemble/FlDigi/pwrsdr question

              > TNX everyone for the helpful replies. I now have my Ensemble calibrated, though still not sure how to balance/calibrate the IQ
              > transmit lines especially since Rocky will not work with my sound card.

              Rick,

              TX image rejection is not a one-time setting.
              It will need checking on each band and for every setup you use.
              It is a good idea to get used to the HDSDR RX image adjustment first. Juggling the settings can seem to be impossible.

              I'd also like to know how much output to expect on 40, 30 and 20 meters. I think I'm in the ballpark but not sure.

              Some push the little BS700s hard. But unless you are sure about your spurii 1/2 watt on SSB, 1 watt on CW has been the
              recommendation.