Re: [softrock40] V6.2 RX/TX Softrocks..

  • prhorne
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 19, 2013
      On 18/03/2013 22:30, ac4nlac4nl wrote:

      Greetings...

      I have several V6.2 RX/TX (crystal versions) of soft-rock kits. I finished building the first one and used Rocky to verify that the receiver was working.

      Since then I have been trying to use PowerSDR (both 1.19.3.15 and 2.4.4) as listed on wb5rvz PowerSDR-IQ ensemble web site : (http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/ensemble/psdriq.htm)
      to verify both the receiver and transmitter and attempt to interface to a computer for PTT etc.

      The problem that I have with both versions of PowerSDR is the transmit (MOX) is "always" selected. It does not seem to matter if I install or, do not install, the drivers for the SI570. Can not deselect from transmit.

      I also tried to use PowerSDR-sr40 (version 1913), which I was hoping would work, as it appears to be the version that was originally used with v6.2 soft-rocks. However, this version of PowerSDR will not install with the .net that is used by Windows 7.

      Please, my question is : Can PowerSDR be used with the older V6.2 softrocks running Windows 7 ?

      Thanks for any assistance.

      AC4NL

      go to the setup menu, click on the cat conjtrol tab and check that both the CAT control and PTT control buttons are de-selected. PSDR tends to come up with one or other selected as default.
      73's
      Peter G3JRH
    • ac4nlac4nl
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 19, 2013

        > Subject: [softrock40] V6.2 RX/TX Softrocks..
        >

        > > I have several V6.2 RX/TX (crystal versions) of soft-rock kits. I finished building the first one and used Rocky to verify that
        > > the receiver was working.
        > >
        > > Since then I have been trying to use PowerSDR (both 1.19.3.15 and 2.4.4) as listed on wb5rvz PowerSDR-IQ ensemble web site :
        > > (http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/ensemble/psdriq.htm)
        > > to verify both the receiver and transmitter and attempt to interface to a computer for PTT etc.
        > >
        > > The problem that I have with both versions of PowerSDR is the transmit (MOX) is "always" selected. It does not seem to matter if
        > > I install or, do not install, the drivers for the SI570. Can not deselect from transmit.
        > >

        > As far as I know no recent version of PSDR may be used with crystal controlled SDRs.
        > The reason is that PSDR uses a frequency shift for TX which needs a Si570 controlled Softrock.
        > The TX lock is probably a configuration issue. LPT Blank used to be a common one.
        >
        > > I also tried to use PowerSDR-sr40 (version 1913), which I was hoping would work, as it appears to be the version that was
        > > originally used with v6.2 soft-rocks. However, this version of PowerSDR will not install with the .net that is used by Windows 7.
        > >

        > I think this is the one that has to be used, it does not shift LO with TX.
        > If you want to use PSDR then adding a Si570 is probably the best answer. http://sdr-kits.net/QRP2000_Description.html but best used
        > with a Softrock AVR.
        >
        > Rocky and HDSDR may be used with 6.2s. HDSDR has a CW option that may be used with these older ones.
        >
        > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

        thanks for the response...

        a.
      • Pete Ferrand
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 19, 2013
          Hi, I ran into the problem of finding a version of PowerSDR that would work with my SR 6.2 about a year ago and discovered an answer that I'm happy with. I'm using my 6.2 as the IF of an SSB transceiver for transmitting and receiving and I surely don't want a frequency agile system since it has to stay on the IF to maintain calibration.

          Happily, the version of PowerSDR adapted for the Genesis line of radios will work perfectly with the SoftRock. I just tell it I have the Genesis G3020 or the G40 and those were crystal controlled radios. Genesis has of course moved on to frequency agile units but kept compatibility with the earlier ones. It gets updated every month or three and bugs corrected. It also has acquired a few features not in the old PowerSDR versions, such as the ability to transmit in AM and receive in sideband. It works perfectly with Windows 7. There is voluminous detailed and puzzling documentation of the programs and the various subsystems, such as the CW subsystem, available on line.

          There are some changes from the orignal PSDR in such things as how the keying works that took awhile for me to figure out but that goes with the territory, and it works with VAC and VSP Manager as expected for digital modes. The program may be downloaded at:

          http://www.genesisradio.com.au/

          There's a Genesis Yahoo group that has lots of useful info as well. Not sure how the company feels about using the program for SoftRocks, but it has exposed me to the Genesis line and I'd certainly consider one if I were looking for a rig.

          HTH,
          -Pete
          WB2QLL
          Somers, WI