Re: Delta 44 Interface module question

  • millerguy0036
    Message 1 of 46 , Mar 18, 2013
      I've been reading this thread and I thought I would jummp in and ask if any of you may be able to help me with a problem that is driving up a wall. It relates to a problem I posted a couple of weeks ago. I'm using HDSDR software and a Soundblaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro as the sound card with my my Ensemble TX/RX. I'm trying to use VAC as the interface between HDSDR and Fldigi for digital comms, but have only got it to work a couple times out of about a hundred tries. I have finally been able to determine that whenever I have VAC connected to HDSDR output, the input from the sound card is distorted. When I disconnect VAC from HDSDR and use a hard-wire solution with the onboard sound card for an interface with Fldigi, I have no problems copying the various digital modes. I was able to verify the distortion with VAC connected to HDSDR using the record feature. Recorded signals with VAC connected to HDSDR and vice versa.

      I'm using a Dell E6420 laptop with Windows 7. Any thoughts on what might be the problem. I've played with all the VAC setting, but no joy. I'm thinking for whatever reason, VAC is interferring with the transfer of data from the sound card. I'm not a computer guru, so it could easily be some setting that is not correct.

      73, Guy/KB6VY

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Williams <KE5SSH@...> wrote:

      > Good point, David. You can also configure all of them off (at least on
      > WinXP, have not tried on Win7/8)
      >
      > John - ke5ssh
      > On 3/18/2013 4:48 PM, David Turnbull wrote:
      > >
      > > If you do this, you also want to use a dummy virtual audio cable as
      > > the default device for Windows. Otherwise, while you are transmitting,
      > > any event sounds will get mixed into the transmitter and go out as DSB.
      > >

      > > 73 David AE9RB
      > > http://AE9RB.com/
      > >
      > > On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM, John Williams <KE5SSH@...
      > > <mailto:KE5SSH@...>> wrote:
      > >
      > > [Attachment(s) <#13d7f6c2038263ce_13d7f2f125388d38_TopText> from
      > > John Williams included below]
      > >
      > > David,
      > >
      > > You only need 1 interface if you want to use digital modes. Here
      > > is a document that explains how...
      > >
      > > John - ke5ssh
      > > On 3/18/2013 3:00 PM, David.Lopez wrote:
      > >>
      > >> I am looking at the picture on this site
      > >> "http://www.wb5rvz.org/ensemble_rxtx/11_extconn". Why is it that
      > >> there
      > >> is no mention of an external sound card required? I was under the
      > >> impression that once I finished with my Softrock and can just connect
      > >> it directly to my computer and start making contacts, but this in not
      > >> the case.
      > >>
      > >> I think I am understanding why I need a Delta 44 now. My computer
      > >> only
      > >> has one headphone output and one mic input. If I connect my Softrock
      > >> to these ports how will I be able hear the audio and where will I
      > >> connect my mic to talk? That is where the Delta 44 comes in
      > >> freeing up
      > >> my computer Mic input and Speaker output ports. Am I correct on this?
      > >>

      > > --
      > >
      > > John Williams
      > >
      > > KE5SSH - ham since 2007
      > > WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm
      > >

      > > Attachment(s) from John Williams
      > >
      > > 1 of 1 File(s)
      > >
      > > OneCardDigitalSDR.pdf
      > > <http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/16110173/1768835377/name/OneCardDigitalSDR%2Epdf>
      > >

      > --
      >
      > John Williams
      >
      > KE5SSH - ham since 2007
      > WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

    • David.Lopez
      Message 46 of 46 , Mar 30, 2013
        Thanks, for the report. I was not sure if I could use this sound
        card. I had other sound cards in sight but when I asked here they
        said it would not work. Now I know that this sound card will work
        fine. I will search for the sound card mod to see how much of an
        effort it will be before I go ahead and buy this sound card. I am
        sure I will be able to handle it but just in case it will be a good
        idea for me to check.

        Can you send me pictures of your setup showing your cable connections
        to antenna and computer and any other devices in your setup? You can
        send them to my email address. If others can send me pictures of
        thier setup, this will be great. I want to see how people
        interconnect their units and external devices to the softrock (if
        any).

        Thanks, 73 de N6RI