Re: [softrock40] Delta 44 Interface module question

  • Jasmine Strong
    Message 1 of 46 , Mar 18 1:26 PM

      The Ensemble is essentially an analogue device.  It effectively is a downconverter, turning a block of radio frequencies into a block of audio frequencies that can be digitised by a sound card and then demodulated by software.  On the other side, it takes a block of audio frequencies generated by software and up converts them to a block of radio frequencies.  The USB connection is only to power part of the circuitry, control the frequency to which it is tuned, and to switch between receive and transmit modes.

      If you want to listen to the signals, your computer will need to take the block of spectrum the Softrock feeds it, digitise it, extract the particular frequency you are interested from it, demodulate it (whether it uses AM, FM, SSB, or whatever-  this happens in software, so any modulation is possible) and then feed the extracted audio to a DAC-  a sound card output- so it can make it to your headphones or speakers.

      If you want to send speech, then you will need a microphone connected to the computer so that your voice can be digitised, modulated onto a carrier, and then inserted into the appropriate output such that the Softrock can up convert it to the RF signal which then goes through the amplifier and into the antenna.

      Does this help?

      -J.

      On 18 Mar 2013, at 13:00, David.Lopez <brewgod23@...> wrote:

      I am looking at the picture on this site
      "http://www.wb5rvz.org/ensemble_rxtx/11_extconn". Why is it that there
      is no mention of an external sound card required? I was under the
      impression that once I finished with my Softrock and can just connect
      it directly to my computer and start making contacts, but this in not
      the case.

      I think I am understanding why I need a Delta 44 now. My computer only
      has one headphone output and one mic input. If I connect my Softrock
      to these ports how will I be able hear the audio and where will I
      connect my mic to talk? That is where the Delta 44 comes in freeing up
      my computer Mic input and Speaker output ports. Am I correct on this?

    • David.Lopez
      Message 46 of 46 , Mar 30 6:08 PM
        Thanks, for the report. I was not sure if I could use this sound
        card. I had other sound cards in sight but when I asked here they
        said it would not work. Now I know that this sound card will work
        fine. I will search for the sound card mod to see how much of an
        effort it will be before I go ahead and buy this sound card. I am
        sure I will be able to handle it but just in case it will be a good
        idea for me to check.

        Can you send me pictures of your setup showing your cable connections
        to antenna and computer and any other devices in your setup? You can
        send them to my email address. If others can send me pictures of
        thier setup, this will be great. I want to see how people
        interconnect their units and external devices to the softrock (if
        any).

        Thanks, 73 de N6RI