Re: No RF Output from RXTX

  • warrenallgyer
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 14, 2013
      Hi Rick

      0.009 VAC out of the computer sound card will not drive the RXTX. You should see about a volt on an AC voltmeter at this point. This indicates that your software setup is not generating a tone.

      I don't know PowerSDR at all. On HDSDR you should use the FM mode and move the TX PWR slider up to full output for testing as it generates a full power audio signal out.

      I think your RXTX may be ok. Just get tone out of your computer and you will likely be set.

      Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

    • richard.lawn@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 15, 2013
        Tnx warren. I suppose I could also try AM. I think it's working too but I don't have it set up correctly.
        Rick

        > Hi Rick
        >
        > 0.009 VAC out of the computer sound card will not drive the RXTX. You should see about a volt on an AC voltmeter at this point. This indicates that your software setup is not generating a tone.
        >
        > I don't know PowerSDR at all. On HDSDR you should use the FM mode and move the TX PWR slider up to full output for testing as it generates a full power audio signal out.
        >
        > I think your RXTX may be ok. Just get tone out of your computer and you will likely be set.
        >
        > Warren Allgyer - W8TOD
        >
        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "richard.lawn@" <rjlawn@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I could use some help in sorting out what is wrong with the transmit section of my Ensemble RXTX. In following the test section at the end of stage 10 build process I came up with the following measurements:
        > >
        > > Across R48 - 47mv
        > > Across R49 - 55.6 mv
        > > Grnd and test point E - 2.6 v
        > > Grnd and R35 hairpin - 10.87 v
        > > Grnd and R35 hairpin (PTT inactive) - 0 v
        > >
        > > I am using a gel cell for power.
        > >
        > > I also checked the output on the TX line from the headphone out of the soundcard to the RXTX and found only about .009 with PTT active (measuring tip to sleeve). I had hoped to calibrate but clearly this level is too low indicating that something is wrong.
        > >
        > > I've been using PowerSDR 2.4.4 and/or HDSDR in these initial tests as I cannot get Rocky to work with the internal laptop soundcard.
        > >
        > > I'd like to follow Warren's helpful series of check points but it seems I need a scope to do that and I don't have one.
        > >
        > > Where could the problem be? T3? I've checked continuity on T3 and all appears to be fine. Can I use an L/C meter to check with the coil in circuit? I hat to pull it if I don't have to and am just guessing.
        > >
        > > Advice as always appreciated.
        > >
        > > Rick

      • R. R. (Robby) Robson
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 15, 2013
          If you suspect the SDR Software settings, try IQGEN and see what its output will do for your RXTX

          --
          Cheers,
          Robby

          Richard R. (Robby) Robson
          LTC USA (RET)
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 15, 2013
            Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: No RF Output from RXTX

            >If you suspect the SDR Software settings, try IQGEN and see what its output
            will do for your RXTX
            http://www.f4gkr.org/projects/iq-generator/

            That only uses the default soundcard.

            For one that allows you to select any card try IQOUT here http://www.m0kgk.co.uk/sdr/download.php

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • richard.lawn@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 15, 2013
              TNX Robby I'll give it a try.
              Rick

            • richard.lawn@ymail.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 15, 2013
                TNX Alan.....you can see by the message I just added that I've determined that there is an issue with any sort of audio output under WIn7 on this Mac Laptop. I'll see if I can find some Mac users. I do not have such troubles on other desktop Macs. Always something!
                Rick