2013 MicroHAMS Digital Conference - March 23

  • David Turnbull
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14, 2013
      Only 9 days until the MicroHAMS Digital Conference. This year, Ward
      Cunningham's presentation will have a Peaberry SDR transmitting PSK31
      using a Raspberry Pi. A similar setup can be made with a RXTX Ensemble
      using a bit more hardware and cabling.

      The code that will be demonstrated is available here:
      https://github.com/WardCunningham/Smallest-Federated-Wiki/tree/master/client/plugins/twadio
      Right now, it's only known to work on a Peaberry with a Pi or Mac.
      Maybe someone on this list can send a pull request to support SoftRock
      and other platforms.

      Information about the conference and presentations is here:
      http://www.microhams.com/mhdc

      There's still time to reserve tickets. I'll be there and hope to see you!

      73 David AE9RB
      http://AE9RB.com/
    • Dave Watson
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 24, 2013

        Did you attend?

        If so, how did it go?

        Any videos or notes posted on the web?

        Is the Raspberry Pi a good companion computer for the Peaberry?

        Dave (W4DJW)

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 25, 2013
          We went and presented wiki software controlling an HF radio. Video was
          taken but there's 16+ hours of footage to edit so it'll be some time
          before it appears on the web.

          Jeremy McDermond's presentation was entirely about the Raspberry Pi.
          He told us about problems with the Pi's ethernet system. The UDR56K
          guys also talked about their decision to not use the Broadcom chipset
          in the Pi because of ethernet performance limitations.

          We had to reboot our system several times throughout the day. It kept
          dropping off the network. Indeed, it decided to drop of the network
          during the presentation. The demo was active for the rest of the day
          and people were able to see it function during lunch and breaks.

          73 David AE9RB
          http://AE9RB.com/

          On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 7:26 AM, Dave Watson <davewatson@...> wrote:

          > Did you attend?
          >
          > If so, how did it go?
          >
          > Any videos or notes posted on the web?
          >
          > Is the Raspberry Pi a good companion computer for the Peaberry?
          >

          > Dave (W4DJW)

        • James Hall
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 25, 2013
            In what way was wiki software controlling an HF radio?

            On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 12:25 PM, David Turnbull <dturnbull@...> wrote:

            We went and presented wiki software controlling an HF radio. Video was
            taken but there's 16+ hours of footage to edit so it'll be some time
            before it appears on the web.

            Jeremy McDermond's presentation was entirely about the Raspberry Pi.
            He told us about problems with the Pi's ethernet system. The UDR56K
            guys also talked about their decision to not use the Broadcom chipset
            in the Pi because of ethernet performance limitations.

            We had to reboot our system several times throughout the day. It kept
            dropping off the network. Indeed, it decided to drop of the network
            during the presentation. The demo was active for the rest of the day
            and people were able to see it function during lunch and breaks.

            73 David AE9RB
            http://AE9RB.com/

            On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 7:26 AM, Dave Watson <davewatson@...> wrote:

            > Did you attend?
            >
            > If so, how did it go?
            >
            > Any videos or notes posted on the web?
            >
            > Is the Raspberry Pi a good companion computer for the Peaberry?
            >

            > Dave (W4DJW)

          • David Turnbull
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 25, 2013
              Ward's new wiki is unlike any other wiki you've seen before. He uses it to log data from arduinos, as an oscilloscope, and more. The original wiki was invented by Ward K9OX as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward_Cunningham

              The demo can send PSK31 or a tuning tone, set the frequency, and configure phase/balance settings of a Peaberry SDR.

              The trwadio.rb file runs without the wiki so you can study it or use it in your own apps: