Anybody using ensemble RXTX on cw?

  • richard.lawn@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 9, 2013
      Something I thought would be easy has turned out to be perplexing. I'm getting help and think I understand configuration for ssb and digi modes, but. Like CQ on QRP. Anybody out there using this mode any,ore with their softrock. You might want to contact be offline directly so as not to bore everyone with my discussion and questions hi hi.
      Rick
      W2JAZ
    • Hugh
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 13, 2013
        > Something I thought would be easy has turned out to be perplexing. I'm getting help and think I understand configuration for ssb and digi modes, but. Like CQ on QRP. Anybody out there using this mode any,ore with their softrock.

        You are correct... CW is not good with most of the SDR software.

        The best I have found, is good ol' Rocky.

        It does support the Si560 tuner, but you need to edit the frequency table to allow you to move up and down the band (no nice tuner I'm afraid).

        It also supports use of iambic paddles into the RxTx Ensemble, but it is a little laggy for my taste. You can configure it as straight paddle, then either use straight key or use an external keyer.

        Also, if you are using WinXP you may be better to stick to Version 3.6, rather than the latest 3.7 (win7 compatible) as it stutters much less. If you cannot find V3.6 let me know :-)

        Rocky also does a very good job with PSK31. The 'text guesser' is really very good!

        Rocky also has a superb super-high resolution mode for the waterfall, where you can really see extremely weak signals,
        Good luck!
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 13, 2013
          Subject: [softrock40] Re: Anybody using ensemble RXTX on cw?

          > It also supports use of iambic paddles into the RxTx Ensemble, but it is a little laggy for my taste. You can configure it as
          > straight paddle, then either use straight key or use an external keyer.

          Rocky originally used a COM port for CW keying.
          I presume this facility is still present?
          If so, a real port would probably be the ideal, with an internal card close second.
          And, would a USB adaptor be better than the USB AVR?

          73 Alan G4ZFQ (Very, very occasional very QRS)
        • jpkellyburbank@att.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 13, 2013
            I set it up using HDSDR and Digital Master 780, using the MCW option for CW mode. I found that I needed to keep the bandwidth on HDSDR fairly narrow to keep the modulated signal clean. HDSDR does not provide separate bandwidths for TX and RX, so this was limiting. And only keyboard input was possible, no keying from paddles or straight key. DM780 does provide break-in keying. Fldigi does not from what I can tell.

            It was interesting to set up, but I don't think I will be using it. The average QRP rig seems to be a lot easier to use.

            Jim/ND6P

          • richard.lawn@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 13, 2013
              I would love to use rocky but can't get it to work. I guess it doesn't like the laptop soundcard. And it's still somewhat a moot point since I've Ben unable to figur out why the transmitter isn't working. I get very close to the oltag readings at those points mentioned at the end of the final build point, but no rf.
              Rick
              W2JAZ

            • richard.lawn@ymail.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 14, 2013
                Thanks for your response. As you can see by my recent post earlier today, you're way ahead of me as I can't get any RF out of my Ensemble. I'm beginning to think that the best part of this little rig, at least if you're interested in working QRP CW, is the rcvr that could be coupled with a more traditional QRP xmitter that are of course significantly easier to build. But then again you'd be limited to CW. I hope I eventually get the xmitter to work, but so far no go.
                73 de
                Rick
                W2JAZ