Help needed setting up PwrSDR

  • richard.lawn@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 8, 2013
      I'm finally done my ensemble RXTX but have not yet tested the xmitter stage which ill do tonite. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone using the Ensemble with PwrSDR - how to set it up for transmit and any preliminary set up guidelines.
      73 &
      Tnx
      Rick
      W2JAZ
    • John Greusel
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 8, 2013
        Rick,

        I would recommend using this version 2.4 modified by Christos.
        http://code.google.com/p/powersdr-iq/downloads/detail?name=PowerSDRv2_for_Homemade_Rigs.zip
        There are instructions to follow for placing certain files in the folder.
        You'll probably be using two sound cards which means selecting "unsupported card" setting for two cards.
        Prepare for a modicum of additional frustration!

        John
        KC9OJV

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
          I think there is something wrong with the link which doesn't work. I'm trying to use the internal laptop in and out for receive and headphones and an iMic for xmitter iq line. For some reason I can't get receive output out of the internal headphone out but it's great out of the iMic. I'm using a macbookpro, boot camp and win 7.

          Frustration has been the norm so far with this experience so what's a little more hi hi!
          Rick
          W2jaz

        • richard.lawn@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
            Meant to ask what sound card set up you are using. It looks like I may have to settle on buying another one to do this right.
            Rick

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Greusel <greusel@...> wrote:

            > Rick,
            >
            > I would recommend using this version 2.4 modified by Christos.
            > http://code.google.com/p/powersdr-iq/downloads/detail?name=PowerSDRv2_for_Homemade_Rigs.zip
            > There are instructions to follow for placing certain files in the folder.
            > You'll probably be using two sound cards which means selecting "unsupported card" setting for two cards.
            > Prepare for a modicum of additional frustration!
            >
            > John
            > KC9OJV
            >

            > ________________________________

          • John Greusel
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
              Rick,

              There are two approaches.
              If you use a Delta 44 and a full sized computer you can use only one card.
              If you use a laptop you'll need two cards. If you use a laptop most find that the internal soundcard is great for mic and speaker and an external card such as the XiFi USB (what I use) is a good IQ card. Others use their internal card for IQ and a cheap sound dongle for the mic and speaker. You have to be careful that your internal card supports stereo-in in at the plug. Warren has done some testing and determined that the IQ function doesn't really require a "great" sound card- there's still some debate but one thing is certain- people are getting good results with pretty modest cards.

              John
              KC9OJV

              Meant to ask what sound card set up you are using. It looks like I may have to settle on buying another one to do this right.
              Rick

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Greusel <greusel@...> wrote:

              > Rick,
              >
              > I would recommend using this version 2.4 modified by Christos.
              > http://code.google.com/p/powersdr-iq/downloads/detail?name=PowerSDRv2_for_Homemade_Rigs.zip
              > There are instructions to follow for placing certain files in the folder.
              > You'll probably be using two sound cards which means selecting "unsupported card" setting for two cards.
              > Prepare for a modicum of additional frustration!
              >
              > John
              > KC9OJV
              >

              > ________________________________

            • John Williams
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
                Suggest you use one card for I/Q and the other for Mic and headphones. Do you have a dedicated windows machine? Running win inside of mac just adds to the possible issues to resolve...

                On the psdr setup, on audio main page, select the i/q card ports. I usually select none for mixer. Set 48K bandwidth for now, and 1024 buffer size. Then got to VAC 1 Page, select your other card for output to headphones and input from the mic. Be sure to enable VAC in the upper left corner.

                When you hit start you should be able to see signals on the waterfall. Then give the xmit a try...

                John

                --

                John Williams

                KE5SSH - ham since 2007
                WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

              • richard.lawn@ymail.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
                  I may need to install VAC to help in sorting out audio. I resorted to trying Rocky just to see if transmitter will work and if you see my recent post I cannot get Rocky to work. I get things all set up and then hit start and I get an "unable to start input from sound device" message. What am I doing wrong?
                  Rick

                • richard.lawn@ymail.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
                    You may see my recent posts I'm still no where with transmit. Receive works great with either HDSDR and PowerSDR. However, I resorted to ROcky in trying to KISS for this initial testing stage on CW. I have 2 SUB sound dongles as well as a laptop with stereo ins and outs. Rocky keeps giving me this message - unable to start input from sound device, though I'm hearing signals through the headphones. What am I missing? ROcky seems like a good way to start and get things tweaked but I'm getting no where and have tried all combinations of sound cards that I have.
                    RIck

                  • richard.lawn@ymail.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
                      This is very helpful. I do not own a windows computer and use exclusively macs. I was not setting up VAC and that is likely the problem. So just to clarify, use VAC to setup the sound card used for receive in/out and the audio main page is used to setup the audio device I'm using for transmit. Please confirm. Still don't understand why I keep getting "unable to start input from sound device" message when I try and use ROcky.
                      Rick

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
                        Although many happily use Rocky it is at this point somewhat unsupported on newer machines/OS.
                        It's not really "easy" either. The frequency ranges are defined by a text file and you have to edit that file to get the range you want. Rocky is a brilliant program as it relates to IQ balancing and it's ability to decode PSK right out of the box. I don't recommend it as a "starter" program and I think it might be time to remove it as a suggested starter program in the build notes. That's my two cents.

                        John
                        KC9OJV

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 10, 2013
                          Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: Help needed setting up PwrSDR

                          >Although many happily use Rocky it is at this point somewhat unsupported on newer machines/OS.
                          It's not really "easy" either. The frequency ranges are defined by a text file and you have to edit that file to get the range you
                          want. Rocky is a brilliant program as it relates to IQ balancing and it's ability to decode PSK right out of the box. I don't
                          recommend it as a "starter" program and I think it might be time to remove it as a suggested starter program in the build notes.

                          John,

                          I'm not sure there is an "easy" one.
                          For RX SDR# is probably the easiest, it works on all Windows without an extra ExtIO.

                          But TX?
                          Rocky seems to have problems with internal cards but works with USB ones. Apart from the ini all instructions are on the web page.
                          But just CW and PSK.
                          HDSDR is maybe slightly more difficult but will TX on all Windows. But CW is not yet properly implemented for Ensembles.
                          PSDR is able to do everything but needs a lot of very careful reading and setting up. But just about everything is very well
                          documented.

                          My experience is only with Windows, from what I read Linux and Macs have their own problems and maybe a very steep learning curve. I
                          don't think I'd ever try running Windows inside either of those.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 10, 2013

                            >This is very helpful. I do not own a windows computer and use exclusively macs. I was not setting up VAC and that is likely the
                            >problem. So just to clarify, use VAC to setup the sound card used for receive in/out and the audio main page is used to setup the
                            >audio device I'm using for transmit.

                            Rick

                            In PSDR the main Audio page is for the Softrock input and output.
                            The "VAC" page is for mic and speakers.

                            >Still don't understand why I keep getting "unable to start input from sound device" message when I try and use

                            I had not realised you are making things difficult by using a Mac. Most users here only know Windows.
                            You had better start another thread with MAC in the subject, maybe it will attract someone who uses one. And describe the
                            environment you are trying to use.

                            If Rocky is setup as described by John, and on the web page then it should work. But if it does not then it may never. You certainly
                            need a Mac expert.

                            73 Alan G4ZFQ

                          • richard.lawn@ymail.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 10, 2013
                              I'm not really running this on a Mac since I'm using boot camp to run windows 7. Looks and behaves exactly like windows and runs my Flex 5000A and all the various digi mode programs just fine with no problems. I just need to figure this out. Ill keep reading the various online documentations pertaining to the set up of these various apps with softrock. While it may be well documented its not concise to laid out in one place as a step by step tutorial. i'm a retired educator so thats what i look and hope for :) What I find is a bunch of links which I keep following looking for the holy grail :) ill get it eventually. At least I've learned that this rig isn't used by man cw folk apparently.
                              As always thanks for your help.

                              Rick
                              W2JAZ