Re: HDSDR and VAC

  • jpkellyburbank@att.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 8, 2013
      Your welcome.

      Another option is to use a SignaLink USB. You just need to jumper the mic to the spkr on JP1 (located inside of the SignaLink). No radio cable is needed. The advantage with this is that the TX and RX controls on the front of the SignaLink can be used to adjust the gain to the receiving application. No need to mess with Windows. And any one of the jacks on the back of the SignaLink can be used for monitoring audio on both TX and RX. These jacks are mono so that must be taken into account.

      Jim/ND6P

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "millerguy0036" <guy.s.miller@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Jim for the response and info. I thought about trying out the hardware avenue, but I was hoping for a cleaner approach. I'll probably try the hardware approach in the next couple of days. First, I'll have to go thru my cable junk box and see if I can find an extra audio cable or two ...... Again, thanks ..... Guy/KB6VY
      >
      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "jpkellyburbank@" <jpkellyburbank@> wrote:
      > >
      > > After all attempts at using VAC with HDSDR and Windows 7 32-bit on a netbook, the PSK reception was only about 75% correct at best. My PSK software is Digital Master 780. So I tried a hardware solution instead: a Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter with the green and red jacks wired to each other with a 3.5mm stereo cable. Then I got 100% correct PSK reception. The cost of the adapter and the cable was about $10 on Amazon.
      > >
      > > I've uninstalled VAC. I tested the hardware solution with SSB, AM, and MCW as well. All modes are working fine. For SSB and AM, I replace the jumper with a headset/mic.
      > >
      > > -Jim/ND6P
      > >
      > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "millerguy0036" <guy.s.miller@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I seem to be having a problem interfacing FLDIGI with HDSDR using VAC. I first noticed this when I was adjusting output power for my Ensemble RX/TX for PSK31. When running into a dummy load and observing the output on an O'scope, I see intermittent breaks in the signal. Receive is not that great either when trying to receive a PSK31 signal off the air. The OS is Windows 7, 64 bit machine. VAC ver 4.11 (have same problem with VAC 4.12), HDSDR ver 2.51, and FLDIGI ver 3.21.68. Have no problem with PSK31 when using Rocky. VAC works just fine with FLDIGI when using test signals off of K3DCW's website. It appears anytime I have VAC connected to HDSDR, whether or not FLDIGI is in the loop, the output of the HDSDR has intermittent breaks in it. On my O'scope I've watched the keyline on the second channel and it is solid as a rock. Any thoughts out there as to what the problem might be?
      > > >
      > > > 73, Guy|KB6VY

    • millerguy0036
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 8, 2013
        I appear to have taken care of the HDSDR and VAC issue I was having. I did some reading on the internet last night and decided to try playing around with the "Ms per int" setting in VAC before doing anything else. I increased the setting from the default 7 to 15 and everything appears to work like it should now. I'm now copying CW, PSK, and RTTY using FLDIGI connected to HDSDR via VAC. The proof in the pudding will be when I finally get on the air. I want to thank everyone for providing advise over the last couple of days. In fact Jim (ND6P), I was copying you approximately 0140Z here in the Columbia River Gorge and was just using a couple pieces of wire strung out on the floor as an antenna :):) ...... 73 all, Guy/KB6VY

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "jpkellyburbank@..." <jpkellyburbank@...> wrote:

        > Your welcome.
        >
        > Another option is to use a SignaLink USB. You just need to jumper the mic to the spkr on JP1 (located inside of the SignaLink). No radio cable is needed. The advantage with this is that the TX and RX controls on the front of the SignaLink can be used to adjust the gain to the receiving application. No need to mess with Windows. And any one of the jacks on the back of the SignaLink can be used for monitoring audio on both TX and RX. These jacks are mono so that must be taken into account.
        >
        > Jim/ND6P
        >
        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "millerguy0036" <guy.s.miller@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Thanks Jim for the response and info. I thought about trying out the hardware avenue, but I was hoping for a cleaner approach. I'll probably try the hardware approach in the next couple of days. First, I'll have to go thru my cable junk box and see if I can find an extra audio cable or two ...... Again, thanks ..... Guy/KB6VY
        > >
        > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "jpkellyburbank@" <jpkellyburbank@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > After all attempts at using VAC with HDSDR and Windows 7 32-bit on a netbook, the PSK reception was only about 75% correct at best. My PSK software is Digital Master 780. So I tried a hardware solution instead: a Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter with the green and red jacks wired to each other with a 3.5mm stereo cable. Then I got 100% correct PSK reception. The cost of the adapter and the cable was about $10 on Amazon.
        > > >
        > > > I've uninstalled VAC. I tested the hardware solution with SSB, AM, and MCW as well. All modes are working fine. For SSB and AM, I replace the jumper with a headset/mic.
        > > >
        > > > -Jim/ND6P

      • millerguy0036
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 9, 2013
          Spoke to soon !!!! Powered up the computer, brought up HDSDR and FLDIGI with VAC and no joy. The VAC settings were the same as last, but back to the same old problem with the audio stream breaking up ...... Guess I'll use the hardware approach for now while continuing to figure why HDSDR doesn't like VAC or vice versa at least on my machine. ..... 73, Guy/KB6VY