HDSDR and VAC

  • millerguy0036
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 7, 2013
      I seem to be having a problem interfacing FLDIGI with HDSDR using VAC. I first noticed this when I was adjusting output power for my Ensemble RX/TX for PSK31. When running into a dummy load and observing the output on an O'scope, I see intermittent breaks in the signal. Receive is not that great either when trying to receive a PSK31 signal off the air. The OS is Windows 7, 64 bit machine. VAC ver 4.11 (have same problem with VAC 4.12), HDSDR ver 2.51, and FLDIGI ver 3.21.68. Have no problem with PSK31 when using Rocky. VAC works just fine with FLDIGI when using test signals off of K3DCW's website. It appears anytime I have VAC connected to HDSDR, whether or not FLDIGI is in the loop, the output of the HDSDR has intermittent breaks in it. On my O'scope I've watched the keyline on the second channel and it is solid as a rock. Any thoughts out there as to what the problem might be?

      73, Guy|KB6VY
    • jpkellyburbank@att.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 7, 2013
        After all attempts at using VAC with HDSDR and Windows 7 32-bit on a netbook, the PSK reception was only about 75% correct at best. My PSK software is Digital Master 780. So I tried a hardware solution instead: a Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter with the green and red jacks wired to each other with a 3.5mm stereo cable. Then I got 100% correct PSK reception. The cost of the adapter and the cable was about $10 on Amazon.

        I've uninstalled VAC. I tested the hardware solution with SSB, AM, and MCW as well. All modes are working fine. For SSB and AM, I replace the jumper with a headset/mic.

        -Jim/ND6P

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "millerguy0036" <guy.s.miller@...> wrote:

        > I seem to be having a problem interfacing FLDIGI with HDSDR using VAC. I first noticed this when I was adjusting output power for my Ensemble RX/TX for PSK31. When running into a dummy load and observing the output on an O'scope, I see intermittent breaks in the signal. Receive is not that great either when trying to receive a PSK31 signal off the air. The OS is Windows 7, 64 bit machine. VAC ver 4.11 (have same problem with VAC 4.12), HDSDR ver 2.51, and FLDIGI ver 3.21.68. Have no problem with PSK31 when using Rocky. VAC works just fine with FLDIGI when using test signals off of K3DCW's website. It appears anytime I have VAC connected to HDSDR, whether or not FLDIGI is in the loop, the output of the HDSDR has intermittent breaks in it. On my O'scope I've watched the keyline on the second channel and it is solid as a rock. Any thoughts out there as to what the problem might be?
        >
        > 73, Guy|KB6VY

      • millerguy0036
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 7, 2013
          Thanks Jim for the response and info. I thought about trying out the hardware avenue, but I was hoping for a cleaner approach. I'll probably try the hardware approach in the next couple of days. First, I'll have to go thru my cable junk box and see if I can find an extra audio cable or two ...... Again, thanks ..... Guy/KB6VY

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "jpkellyburbank@..." <jpkellyburbank@...> wrote:

          > After all attempts at using VAC with HDSDR and Windows 7 32-bit on a netbook, the PSK reception was only about 75% correct at best. My PSK software is Digital Master 780. So I tried a hardware solution instead: a Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter with the green and red jacks wired to each other with a 3.5mm stereo cable. Then I got 100% correct PSK reception. The cost of the adapter and the cable was about $10 on Amazon.
          >
          > I've uninstalled VAC. I tested the hardware solution with SSB, AM, and MCW as well. All modes are working fine. For SSB and AM, I replace the jumper with a headset/mic.
          >
          > -Jim/ND6P
          >
          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "millerguy0036" <guy.s.miller@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I seem to be having a problem interfacing FLDIGI with HDSDR using VAC. I first noticed this when I was adjusting output power for my Ensemble RX/TX for PSK31. When running into a dummy load and observing the output on an O'scope, I see intermittent breaks in the signal. Receive is not that great either when trying to receive a PSK31 signal off the air. The OS is Windows 7, 64 bit machine. VAC ver 4.11 (have same problem with VAC 4.12), HDSDR ver 2.51, and FLDIGI ver 3.21.68. Have no problem with PSK31 when using Rocky. VAC works just fine with FLDIGI when using test signals off of K3DCW's website. It appears anytime I have VAC connected to HDSDR, whether or not FLDIGI is in the loop, the output of the HDSDR has intermittent breaks in it. On my O'scope I've watched the keyline on the second channel and it is solid as a rock. Any thoughts out there as to what the problem might be?
          > >
          > > 73, Guy|KB6VY

        • John Greusel
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 8, 2013
            Did you pay for the commercial version?
            The trial version sticks an audio message into the signal periodically I believe.

            John
            KC9OJV

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 8, 2013
              Yep, have the commercial version. So far it just seems to be a problem when connecting to HDSDR .... I'm going to play with it some more over the weekend. ..... In fact, I'm thinking this is probably the wrong forum for this problem since I don't believe the problem is in anyway associated with the Softrock Ensemble RX/TX ...... Guy/KB6VY

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Greusel <greusel@...> wrote:

              > Did you pay for the commercial version?
              > The trial version sticks an audio message into the signal periodically I believe.
              >
              > John
              > KC9OJV
              >

              > ________________________________

            • John Williams
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 8, 2013
                John,
                I think you are in the right forum.

                I run HDSDR thru VAC 4.09 to FLDigi on WinXP and it works VERY well. I am running a Pentum 4 dual core with 2Gb of memory, circa 2006 timeframe. I was running PSDR 2.4.4 on it and it would not run clean, using way too much CPU. Running on HDSDR, CPU util is lower and decode is flawless.

                Suggest you play with some of the tunings in FLDigi for slower processors to see if it is CPU issue. Prob not, but worth a try. Try using 48K for input and 12K for output to VAC on the sound card, that is what is working for me. For FLDigi, you don't need to run 96K for a 4K bandpass to FLDigi. Also, I am using CAT control and VSP for virtual serial to control VFO and PTT. I used a kenwood TS-50 xml file for the profile.

                Keep at it, you will get it working.

                John - ke5ssh

                --

                John Williams

                KE5SSH - ham since 2007
                WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

              • millerguy0036
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 8, 2013
                  Thanks Jim - This weekend, I was planning on trying the approach where different sample rates are used for the input and output. I read somewhere on the web, last night, that using that approach seemed to work best with PowerSDR. I'm using the same arrangement you are for control (CAT and VSP). Hopefully, after this weekend, I can post that everything is working like it is supposed to. ..... Guy/KB6VY

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 8, 2013
                    Your welcome.

                    Another option is to use a SignaLink USB. You just need to jumper the mic to the spkr on JP1 (located inside of the SignaLink). No radio cable is needed. The advantage with this is that the TX and RX controls on the front of the SignaLink can be used to adjust the gain to the receiving application. No need to mess with Windows. And any one of the jacks on the back of the SignaLink can be used for monitoring audio on both TX and RX. These jacks are mono so that must be taken into account.

                    Jim/ND6P

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "millerguy0036" <guy.s.miller@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks Jim for the response and info. I thought about trying out the hardware avenue, but I was hoping for a cleaner approach. I'll probably try the hardware approach in the next couple of days. First, I'll have to go thru my cable junk box and see if I can find an extra audio cable or two ...... Again, thanks ..... Guy/KB6VY
                    >
                    > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "jpkellyburbank@" <jpkellyburbank@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > After all attempts at using VAC with HDSDR and Windows 7 32-bit on a netbook, the PSK reception was only about 75% correct at best. My PSK software is Digital Master 780. So I tried a hardware solution instead: a Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter with the green and red jacks wired to each other with a 3.5mm stereo cable. Then I got 100% correct PSK reception. The cost of the adapter and the cable was about $10 on Amazon.
                    > >
                    > > I've uninstalled VAC. I tested the hardware solution with SSB, AM, and MCW as well. All modes are working fine. For SSB and AM, I replace the jumper with a headset/mic.
                    > >
                    > > -Jim/ND6P
                    > >
                    > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "millerguy0036" <guy.s.miller@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I seem to be having a problem interfacing FLDIGI with HDSDR using VAC. I first noticed this when I was adjusting output power for my Ensemble RX/TX for PSK31. When running into a dummy load and observing the output on an O'scope, I see intermittent breaks in the signal. Receive is not that great either when trying to receive a PSK31 signal off the air. The OS is Windows 7, 64 bit machine. VAC ver 4.11 (have same problem with VAC 4.12), HDSDR ver 2.51, and FLDIGI ver 3.21.68. Have no problem with PSK31 when using Rocky. VAC works just fine with FLDIGI when using test signals off of K3DCW's website. It appears anytime I have VAC connected to HDSDR, whether or not FLDIGI is in the loop, the output of the HDSDR has intermittent breaks in it. On my O'scope I've watched the keyline on the second channel and it is solid as a rock. Any thoughts out there as to what the problem might be?
                    > > >
                    > > > 73, Guy|KB6VY

                  • millerguy0036
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 8, 2013
                      I appear to have taken care of the HDSDR and VAC issue I was having. I did some reading on the internet last night and decided to try playing around with the "Ms per int" setting in VAC before doing anything else. I increased the setting from the default 7 to 15 and everything appears to work like it should now. I'm now copying CW, PSK, and RTTY using FLDIGI connected to HDSDR via VAC. The proof in the pudding will be when I finally get on the air. I want to thank everyone for providing advise over the last couple of days. In fact Jim (ND6P), I was copying you approximately 0140Z here in the Columbia River Gorge and was just using a couple pieces of wire strung out on the floor as an antenna :):) ...... 73 all, Guy/KB6VY

                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "jpkellyburbank@..." <jpkellyburbank@...> wrote:

                      > Your welcome.
                      >
                      > Another option is to use a SignaLink USB. You just need to jumper the mic to the spkr on JP1 (located inside of the SignaLink). No radio cable is needed. The advantage with this is that the TX and RX controls on the front of the SignaLink can be used to adjust the gain to the receiving application. No need to mess with Windows. And any one of the jacks on the back of the SignaLink can be used for monitoring audio on both TX and RX. These jacks are mono so that must be taken into account.
                      >
                      > Jim/ND6P
                      >
                      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "millerguy0036" <guy.s.miller@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Thanks Jim for the response and info. I thought about trying out the hardware avenue, but I was hoping for a cleaner approach. I'll probably try the hardware approach in the next couple of days. First, I'll have to go thru my cable junk box and see if I can find an extra audio cable or two ...... Again, thanks ..... Guy/KB6VY
                      > >
                      > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "jpkellyburbank@" <jpkellyburbank@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > After all attempts at using VAC with HDSDR and Windows 7 32-bit on a netbook, the PSK reception was only about 75% correct at best. My PSK software is Digital Master 780. So I tried a hardware solution instead: a Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter with the green and red jacks wired to each other with a 3.5mm stereo cable. Then I got 100% correct PSK reception. The cost of the adapter and the cable was about $10 on Amazon.
                      > > >
                      > > > I've uninstalled VAC. I tested the hardware solution with SSB, AM, and MCW as well. All modes are working fine. For SSB and AM, I replace the jumper with a headset/mic.
                      > > >
                      > > > -Jim/ND6P

                    • millerguy0036
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 9, 2013
                        Spoke to soon !!!! Powered up the computer, brought up HDSDR and FLDIGI with VAC and no joy. The VAC settings were the same as last, but back to the same old problem with the audio stream breaking up ...... Guess I'll use the hardware approach for now while continuing to figure why HDSDR doesn't like VAC or vice versa at least on my machine. ..... 73, Guy/KB6VY