Problem seeking advice

  • richard.lawn@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2013
      I'm trying to figure out now that I've finished the build why the rcvr is no longer working., I Discovered that when I check continuity on the 2 primary pairs of T4 it seems that there is continuity on both of the windings -p1to p1 and p1to p2 and visa versa. How can this be with enameled wire? This might be the problem but I've already wound this particular coil 3 times. Could,this be the problem with the rcvr?

      I've been fairly frustrated with the build,for various reasons most of which are on me, but not the least of which was that there was a bad trace on the board that I would never have found without help. I learned a lot but still don't know how to trouble shoot problems and this kit I'm afraid requires that skill.

      Thanks for any suggestions and reading my periodic wines. I'm afraid this may be doomed and destined to be a somewhat failed learning experience for me.

      Rick
      W2JAZ
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 8, 2013
        Subject: [softrock40] Problem seeking advice

        > I'm trying to figure out now that I've finished the build why the rcvr is no longer working., I Discovered that when I check
        > continuity on the 2 primary pairs of T4 it seems that there is continuity on both of the windings -p1to p1 and p1to p2 and visa
        > versa. How can this be with enameled wire? This might be the problem but I've already wound this particular coil 3 times.
        > Could,this be the problem with the rcvr?

        Rick,

        Are you testing with it installed? Look at the schematic, they are connected together.
        The only way T4 could be responsible is if the live side of the secondary is shorted to ground. But you cannot easily check that
        relatively unlikely possibility because in circuit it is connected to ground.

        Please go through Robby's checks. Let us know if there are any discrepancies. Don't despair, it was working so only one thing is
        wrong, patience will find out the answer.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • richard.lawn@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 8, 2013
          Tnx Alan. I kept thinking I was missing something and sure enough I was. I won't even say what, but rcvr is fine and now I will following the yes procedures outlined at the end of stage 10 of the build before actually testing transmitter output. I'd like to simplify and use rocky as at this point it might simplify things, but i keep getting an error message when I try to start it. Should I uninstall Rocky and just try reinstalling it. Doesn't makes sense as rcvr work great with Power SDR and hdsdr.

          Tnx for your ongoing help and encouragement.
          Rick
          W2JAZ