Was Working now 1/2 Power

  • Mike Saeger
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 6 2:02 PM
      I damaged Q3 and replaced it. After replacing Q3 everything was working fine. I left the Softrock running for several hours on receive.

      I came back several hours later and found the receiver was displaying a VERY LOUD noise on the screen that was pulsing on for a few sec and off for a few sec etc.

      I tracked the problem down to a bad Q3 that was allowing 10V on the S12V line during receive. I replaced Q3 again and now the receiver is working fine BUT the transmitter is down to half-power and has very annoying key clicks on CW. I had noticed that Q6 (2N2222) was hot. I replaced Q6 but the problem persists.

      What could the S12V line damage with 10-11V on for several hours (no modulation)? Could one of the FETs have gone bad? Is there an easy to test them in the circuit?

      Mike N9MS
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 6 10:31 PM
        Subject: [softrock40] Was Working now 1/2 Power

        >I damaged Q3 and replaced it. After replacing Q3 everything was working fine. I left the Softrock running for several hours on
        >receive.
        > I came back several hours later and found the receiver was displaying a VERY LOUD noise on the screen that was pulsing on for a
        > few sec and off for a few sec etc.
        > I tracked the problem down to a bad Q3 that was allowing 10V on the S12V line during receive. I replaced Q3 again and now the
        > receiver is working fine BUT the transmitter is down to half-power and has very annoying key clicks on CW.

        Mike ,

        >I had noticed that Q6 (2N2222) was hot. I replaced Q6 but the problem persists.

        This does get quite hot.

        > What could the S12V line damage with 10-11V on for several hours (no modulation)?

        Should do no harm.

        Could one of the FETs have gone bad? Is there an easy to test them in the circuit?

        This does seem possible. Check the voltages at R49, 49 like on Robby's page. Nominal 50mV.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Mike Saeger
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 7 1:00 PM
          I fixed the key clicks. I sent audio from Rocky to a virtual audio cable and from there to my sound card and it sounds pretty good now. Apparently, Rocky doesn't like the sound card built into my new notebook computer.
        • Jasmine Strong
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 7 1:06 PM

            With very few exceptions (notably, Apple hardware), notebook computer audio is wretched.  It has a high noise floor, is full of birdies, and generally has much poorer performance than you might expect from the specifications.  Oh, and quite often the inputs are mono.

            -J.

            On 7 Mar 2013, at 13:00, "Mike Saeger" <mike.saeger@...> wrote:

            I fixed the key clicks. I sent audio from Rocky to a virtual audio cable and from there to my sound card and it sounds pretty good now. Apparently, Rocky doesn't like the sound card built into my new notebook computer.

          • warrenallgyer
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 7 4:14 PM
              Jasmine

              I am going to argue with you a bit on this. Everything you say is true in the world of high quality recording audio. And, of course, a computer with mono audio in is a non-starter for SDR.

              However my experience has been that most internal sound cards exhibit perfectly acceptable performance for SDR operations at 48 KHz sampling. By acceptable I mean the dynamic range matches or exceeds the normal range of atmospheric noise to S9+40 dB signals and the spurs and baseline garbage is normally well below the antenna noise floor. In these cases there is no practical benefit to spending for a higher performance card.

              My intent here is not to pick a fight but to make sure that newbies do not end up believing they need to spend a lot of money to enjoy their Softrocks. It is simply unnecessary in most cases.

              The popping noise on Rocky, especially prevalent in Win 7 and up, is due to the implementation of the drivers rather than a sound card artifact.

              If you must have 96 KHz sampling or above then you do need to invest. Otherwise, as I have said before, you will get a better return on that sound card money if you re-direct it to a better antenna, whiskey, or flowers for the spouse.

              Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 7 10:42 PM
                Subject: [softrock40] Re: Was Working now 1/2 Power

                > I am going to argue with you a bit on this. Everything you say is true in the world of high quality recording audio. And, of
                > course, a computer with mono audio in is a non-starter for SDR.
                >
                > However my experience has been that most internal sound cards exhibit perfectly acceptable performance for SDR operations at 48
                > KHz sampling.

                Yes, I was surprised that my relatively inexpensive Acer netbook gives quite acceptable results at 96K sampling.
                https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/sdronasus