Mute Line SR Lite

  • captcurt2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2013
      GA All:

      For a few years now I have been using a lashed up SR Lite IF as a panadapter with my R4. I am now formalizing and cleaning up the install a bit and want to enable the Rx mute line to also mute the SR.

      The Drake (and many other tube-based rigs) have a moderate negative voltage on the mute line when in mute (ungrounded) In my case it is around -43 Volts.

      Anyone have a elegant way of using the Rx mute line for the enable lines in the QSD module (Rx Enable) of the SR Lite?

      I can do it with a switch and a relay but wondered if I am missing a non-relay solution.

      THanks

      Curt
    • Parks, Tony
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2013
        Hi Curt,

        An LTV-817 optical coupler could do the job fairly simply.  The collector of the LTV-817 transistor, pin 4, would connect to the 5 volt line on the Lite II.  The emitter of the transistor, pin 3, would connect to the FST3253 /OE lines, pins 1 and 15.  A 10k resistor connected to Lite II ground would also connect to the /OE lines.

        The LED within the LTV-817 anode, pin 1, would connect to your Drake ground.  A 100k resistor would connect from the cathode of the LED within the LTV-817 to your -43 volt mute line.  A diode would be connected in the reverse direction across the LTV-817 LED.

        When the -43 volt mute voltage is present the transistor in the LTV-817 would conduction and put the /OE lines of the FST3253 to 5 volts which would mute the QSD.

        73,
        Tony KB9YIG

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5, 2013
          Thanks Tony:

          Exactly what I needed. I kept messing with the opto idea but "lost" the idea of putting it out of the normal "orientation". Getting Old I guess!

          Thanks Again

          Curt