Re: [softrock40] Re: Ensemble RX II noisy and not sensitive

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 3, 2013
      Subject: [softrock40] Re: Ensemble RX II noisy and not sensitive

      > Or maybe I can disconnect the line-in cable and dial the S-meter down to 0? Would that work for calibration?

      Nick,

      I'd say you are worrying too much!
      S meter readings can be ignored, the important thing is whether the radio picks up signals.
      If you feel it necessary to worry about calibration leave that till last.

      My page on HDSDR https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/installing-and-using-hdsdr

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 4, 2013

        > Maybe Alan or someone else can explain the S meter noise level indication in HDSDR. It has always been a mystery to me and I have
        > not taken the time to figure it out.

        Warren,

        You mean that thing that jiggles about at centre left?
        No, I do not pay much attention to that.

        Nick,

        As I've said I really do not think indicated signal strengths matter for normal reception.
        But for technical purposes the calibrated spectrum is far better than the HDSDR "S" meter. Especially when you discover the controls
        to zoom the scale. Some other SDR programs probably have a better meter.

        You should be admiring the way a simple SDR works compared with other radios.
        You have not said if the 10m vertical is your only antenna. A Softrock will probably not work very well on lower frequencies with
        that.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ

        > Yes -73 dBm should be set to correspond to S9. I recommend however you set it by placing the signal peak on the spectrum display
        > at -73 there. If you expand the vertical you can get 1 dB resolution on this scale and then all other signal levels, including the
        > noise floor, can be accurately read from the Spectrum display. I use the S meter only as a quick visual reference and do all of my
        > measurement using the spectrum display.

      • EB4APL
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 7, 2013
          Notice about S meter calibration:

          The Softrock Ensemble RX has 14 dB pads in series with the 2 lower
          bands. It purpose has been explained here, but as far as I know no any
          SDR software takes account of this, so if you calibrate in any of those
          bands, the S meter will indicate more than 2 S units high in the upper
          bands and the opposite will happen if you calibrate in the two upper
          bands. Since most S figures are relative indications it only has
          importance if you use the receiver for making measurements.

          73 de Ignacio, EB4APL

          On 04/03/2013 9:16, Alan wrote

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 7, 2013

            > Notice about S meter calibration:
            >
            > The Softrock Ensemble RX has 14 dB pads in series with the 2 lower
            > bands. It purpose has been explained here, but as far as I know no any
            > SDR software takes account of this, so if you calibrate in any of those
            > bands, the S meter will indicate more than 2 S units high in the upper
            > bands and the opposite will happen if you calibrate in the two upper
            > bands. Since most S figures are relative indications it only has
            > importance if you use the receiver for making measurements.

            For really accurate measurements calibration must be done at least every time you shift bands. The BPFs of any Softrock are unlikely
            to be perfectly level.
            As Ignacio says, with an Ensemble RX there will be big differences between some bands.