Need Basic Getting Started w Softrock Docs - Help!

  • sdr_newbie
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2 3:12 PM
      Hi all,

      I just received my Softrock Ensemble II RX and am looking for some BASIC info re its connections and setup.

      Is there anywhere on this forum that has a basic "Getting Started" type of doc? (I've searched and can't find one.) Most info I've seen is way beyond where I am at at this point.

      I've downloaded Rocky and it does have some help info.

      It looks like I need an external power source (not via USB), a USB cable to my PC (generic type?) and a BNC terminated antenna.

      Any advice or help is appreciated.

      Thanks!
    • Parks, Tony
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2 3:53 PM
        Hi,

        The RX Ensemble II receiver requires a USB connection to the PC for setting the Si570 local oscillator frequency as well as powering the USB interface and Si570.  Twelve volt DC power is also required at about 30mA for the rest of the receiver circuits.  A stereo audio cable is needed to connect the I/Q output of the RX Ensemble II to the line-in stereo input of a soundcard and the BNC connection is for the antenna input to the receiver.

        I use Rocky 3.7 on an XP machine here for testing built RX Ensemble II receivers.  Many on the Softrock40 Yahoo group are much, much more experienced with software setup than I am and are typically very helpful.  Getting SDR software to play right seems to be the biggest challenge in getting any of the Softrock units to play right.

        Hope you have fun with the little receiver and fine it useful.

        73,
        Tony KB9YIG

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2 10:28 PM
          Subject: [softrock40] Need Basic Getting Started w Softrock Docs - Help!