Re: [softrock40] Re: Yet another soundcard

  • Adam Jacobs
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 27, 2013
      Interesting. I seem to recall that Creative did something similar years ago with the AudioPCI (Ensoniq) people.

      -Adam W7QI

      On 2/27/2013 3:42 PM, warrenallgyer wrote:

      E-MU was just recently acquired by Creative and the 0204 interfaces are the designs from the previous team, not the Creative team.

      E-MU's reputation is very high in the pro-audio world is very good. I have one one the way and will put it under test when it gets here.

      Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "mdulcey" wrote:

      > Had a look on the iCON site at https://www.icondigitalusa.com/ - they appear to make a whole line of digital interfaces. Besides the Cube Mini, the Cube Pro (with 4x4 analog I/O, enough for TXRX operation) and the Cube 4 Nano (2x2 analog I/O with microphone preamps for live recording) also appear to be worth a look.
      >
      > The analog specs are underwhelming for a 24/192 device; they only claim 100db S/N and dynamic range and only spec frequency response to 22KHz. This could be a warning sign (they might have analog rolloff filters above 22KHz even though the sample rate should allow much wider response) or they might just be specifying the devices conservatively. Echo Audio is one pro audio company that does that. I have a Mona (no longer made) which was only specified to 20KHz but is actually flat to nearly 40KHz, which is appropriate for a 24/96 device. I'm sure their current Echo2 would work fabulously for SDR but at $400 it ought to!
      >
      > The E-MU interfaces have much more impressive numbers, but they're made by Creative and that company is notorious for putting up numbers that their devices don't live up to. The E-MU 0204 USB that people have been talking about here, and its predecessor the 0202 USB which I own, are good interfaces but not the amazingly wonderful ones that the spec sheets would suggest.
      >
      > The eCrater prices are substantially below the list prices on the iCON US store. I haven't looked around to see how other stores price them, and I don't know anybody who owns any of the iCON interfaces.

    • Shirley Márquez Dúlcey
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 27, 2013
        Er, no. From the Creative web site ( http://www.creative.com/emu/corporate/ ): The company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Creative Technology Ltd. of Singapore, created as a result of an acquisition in March 1993 of E-MU Systems.

        They do make good products. But the specs, at least for the audio interfaces, make them look even better than they are. E-MU claims 113db SNR for the inputs and 117db SNR for the outputs of the 0204 USB, but that's at 1KHz and A-weighted. Independent reviews of the interfaces show that those numbers don't hold across the entire bandwidth, especially at 192KHz sampling. Still, for under $150 it's an good value for what you get. The 0404 (four channels in and out for RXTX) is also worth considering, though if you use all four channels it's limited to 96KHz sampling.

        I found one link that had extensive technical tests of the 0204 USB: http://www.virtins.com/doc/D1007/EMU_0204_Report.pdf

      • richard.lawn@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2013
          I have the older E-MU 0202 and learned that there is no driver for Win7. Am I wrong?
          Rick
          W2JAZ

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2013
            Subject: [softrock40] Re: Yet another soundcard

            >I have the older E-MU 0202 and learned that there is no driver for Win7. Am I wrong?

            Rick,

            There is one, called a beta. I got it from the Creative site a couple of days ago.
            I found it works as an ASIO driver but only 48K as MME.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • Shirley Márquez Dúlcey
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2013
              The E-MU 0202 USB has a beta driver for Windows 7 that you can get
              from this page:
              http://support.creative.com/downloads/download.aspx?nDownloadId=11801
              I have operated my Softrock Ensemble RXTX using the ASIO driver and it
              worked well. There will probably never be an official "release" driver
              for Windows 7, as Creative has decided that it is an "end of life"
              product. Sadly the 0404 USB, which would otherwise be a great product
              for RXTX use as it has enough channels so you don't need a second
              interface, is also end of life though it is still available from
              dealers.

              The E-MU 0204 USB is a current product. It looks just like the 0202
              USB, but the headphone output is a separate set of outputs instead of
              being in parallel with the line outputs as in the 0202 USB. There are
              still only two inputs, so it's not a complete solution if you want to
              use the RXTX for voice modes. It will suffice for CW and digital modes
              because you don't need a microphone input for those.