Re: Icom 751a CW Skimmer

  • scott jacobs
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 25, 2013
      I am using the SoftRock Little II IF on my 761.   It does take some getting used to.  Still getting the software
      side configured properly but I do enjoy the advanced filtering it affords me.  I actually use the
      GSDR package with mine.

      Scott NZ4AA

    • wb6bee
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 26, 2013
        Hi Scott

        The 761 is supposedly labeled as a IC 751a in a big box. Hence, your experiences are probably helpful. I was wondering how you accomplished the IF tap. The 751a has a 9.01 KHZ IF which is where I was going with the SoftRock Little II IF. According to the 761 manual, you have the same IF configuration.

        Don

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, scott jacobs <ki4gsf@...> wrote:

        > I am using the SoftRock Little II IF on my 761.   It does take some getting used to.  Still getting the software
        > side configured properly but I do enjoy the advanced filtering it affords me.  I actually use the
        > GSDR package with mine.
        >
        > Scott NZ4AA

      • scott jacobs
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 27, 2013
          Don,
          On the '761 I tapped the second IF at Diode D66 (it may be, probably is different) on the '751a.  I would suggest a buffer/amplifier circuit in between the Lite II and your tap so as not to bog down the 751a.

          As I was writing this my download of the '741a Service manual completed and it appears you would tap the second IF at D66 as well.  Check it with a Freq. Counter first.  As I stated ealier use a buffer/amplifier stage between the LiteII and your tap point.

          Have fun and good luck.
          As a side note as well...Rocky works extremely well with this setup

          73's
          Scott  NZ4AA

          --- In mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com, scott jacobs wrote:

          > I am using the SoftRock Little II IF on my 761.   It does take some getting used to.  Still getting the software
          > side configured properly but I do enjoy the advanced filtering it affords me.  I actually use the
          > GSDR package with mine.
          >
          > Scott NZ4AA

        • wb6bee
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 28, 2013
            Good morning, Scott. I really appreciate your taking to time to help me out on this project. I have searched high and low on the web and you can find tap information on everything but the 751a. But, I also looked at the schematic on the 761 and it sure did look like the 751a schematic. I had read somewhere else that they had used a buffer/amp to isolate the transceiver from the Softrock. Do you have any recommendations on which one to use????
            I was originally licensed back in 1959, but was inactive for the last ten years or so, just getting active again a year or so ago. I was shocked at the changes in technology during that ten years. That's why my 751a is so old. Anyway, for me, it's easier to ask for someone's advise that has done this stuff versus trying to teach an old dog. Thanks, Scott

            Don

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, scott jacobs <ki4gsf@...> wrote:

            > Don,
            > On the '761 I tapped the second IF at Diode D66 (it may be, probably is different) on the '751a.  I would suggest a buffer/amplifier circuit in between the Lite II and your tap so as not to bog down the 751a.
            >
            > As I was writing this my download of the '741a Service manual completed and it appears you would tap the second IF at D66 as well.  Check it with a Freq. Counter first.  As I stated ealier use a buffer/amplifier stage between the LiteII and your tap point.
            >
            > Have fun and good luck.
            > As a side note as well...Rocky works extremely well with this setup
            >
            > 73's
            > Scott  NZ4AA
            >

            > ________________________________

          • scott jacobs
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 28, 2013
              Good morning Don,
              No problem at all.  I downloaded the service manual for your rig and found that tap point.
              As far as a buffer amplifier, honestly I have found that '761 did not really require one.  Based on the fact that the '751 uses essentially the same IF circuit as the 761 you may get  away with out one as well.   That is the easy part.  Getting the software configured is the real challenge but worth the frustration in my book.

              Scott

              Good morning, Scott. I really appreciate your taking to time to help me out on this project. I have searched high and low on the web and you can find tap information on everything but the 751a. But, I also looked at the schematic on the 761 and it sure did look like the 751a schematic. I had read somewhere else that they had used a buffer/amp to isolate the transceiver from the Softrock. Do you have any recommendations on which one to use????
              I was originally licensed back in 1959, but was inactive for the last ten years or so, just getting active again a year or so ago. I was shocked at the changes in technology during that ten years. That's why my 751a is so old. Anyway, for me, it's easier to ask for someone's advise that has done this stuff versus trying to teach an old dog. Thanks, Scott

              Don

              --- In mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com, scott jacobs wrote:

              > Don,
              > On the '761 I tapped the second IF at Diode D66 (it may be, probably is different) on the '751a.  I would suggest a buffer/amplifier circuit in between the Lite II and your tap so as not to bog down the 751a.
              >
              > As I was writing this my download of the '741a Service manual completed and it appears you would tap the second IF at D66 as well.  Check it with a Freq. Counter first.  As I stated ealier use a buffer/amplifier stage between the LiteII and your tap point.
              >
              > Have fun and good luck.
              > As a side note as well...Rocky works extremely well with this setup
              >
              > 73's
              > Scott  NZ4AA
              >

              > ________________________________
              href="mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com" rel=nofollow target=_blank ymailto="mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com
              > Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:17 AM
              > Subject: [softrock40] Re: Icom 751a CW Skimmer
              >

              > Hi Scott
              >
              > The 761 is supposedly labeled as a IC 751a in a big box. Hence, your experiences are probably helpful. I was wondering how you accomplished the IF tap. The 751a has a 9.01 KHZ IF which is where I was going with the SoftRock Little II IF. According to the 761 manual, you have the same IF configuration.
              >
              > Don
              >
              > --- In mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com, scott jacobs wrote:
              > >
              > > I am using the SoftRock Little II IF on my 761.   It does take some getting used to.  Still getting the software
              > > side configured properly but I do enjoy the advanced filtering it affords
              me.  I actually use the
              > > GSDR package with mine.
              > >
              > > Scott NZ4AA

            • wb6bee
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 3, 2013
                Good morning, Scott

                I am traveling so cannot view a my manual. I have a 455 cw filter and and a 9 mhz cw filter in the 751a. I didn't know if those would have an effect on the softrock using the 9mhz tap or not.

                Don

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, scott jacobs <ki4gsf@...> wrote:

                > Good morning Don,
                > No problem at all.  I downloaded the service manual for your rig and found that tap point.
                > As far as a buffer amplifier, honestly I have found that '761 did not really require one.  Based on the fact that the '751 uses essentially the same IF circuit as the 761 you may get  away with out one as well.   That is the easy part.  Getting the software configured is the real challenge but worth the frustration in my book.
                >

                > Scott
                >

                > ________________________________

              • wb6bee
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 4, 2013
                  Hi Scott

                  I spent some time looking at a schematic that I had for a 751 (not 751a) and could not find Diode 66. Downloaded the 751a schematic and I find D66 and D67 with the cathode ends connected to J4 which appears to be a coax junction for the IF to the RF section. I gather that I would tap at the J4 junction (or the cathode ends of D66 and D67. Sound right?

                  Don

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, scott jacobs <ki4gsf@...> wrote:

                  > Good morning Don,
                  > No problem at all.  I downloaded the service manual for your rig and found that tap point.
                  > As far as a buffer amplifier, honestly I have found that '761 did not really require one.  Based on the fact that the '751 uses essentially the same IF circuit as the 761 you may get  away with out one as well.   That is the easy part.  Getting the software configured is the real challenge but worth the frustration in my book.
                  >

                  > Scott
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • scott jacobs
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 4, 2013
                    Heya Don,
                    sorry took so long to get back.  Yes that sounds correct.  I tapped at D66.

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, scott jacobs wrote:

                    > Good morning Don,
                    > No problem at all.  I downloaded the service manual for your rig and found that tap point.
                    > As far as a buffer amplifier, honestly I have found that '761 did not really require one.  Based on the fact that the '751 uses essentially the same IF circuit as the 761 you may get  away with out one as well.   That is the easy part.  Getting the software configured is the real challenge but worth the frustration in my book.
                    >

                    > Scott

                  • wb6bee
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 4, 2013