Problem with inverted signals on 40 meters

  • Jerry Haigwood
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2013

      Hi All,

           I noticed last night that I have some inverted signals while listening to 40 meters.  It may also occur on other bands.  Here is what is happening.  If I listen to a signal to the right of the center of the display, everything seems normal.  If I listen to a signal left of the center of the display, then I have to switch to USB to hear the signal.  What could be causing this anomaly?   I am using HDSDR with my Softrock Ensemble II RX.   I just checked on 80 meters and the signals are also inverted except signals below center are LSB sigs and those above center are USB sigs!  Man am I confused.

           After looking at the signals for a few minutes now,  I realize I see the same signal on both sides of the center of the display.  One is a mirror image of the other one.  One is a LSB signal and one is a USB signal.  They are equally spaced from the center of the display.  Something is obviously amiss.  What is going on here?

      Jerry W5JH

    • Mike WA8BXN
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 25, 2013
        Hi Jerry,

        Most likely you are only getting I or Q into the computer and not both. If
        you are using a laptop, could be it only has a mono input. Input to the
        sound card must be stereo. If it is, look for problems in your cables

        73 - Mike WA8BXN

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 25, 2013

          Hi Mike,

              I just unplugged the audio cable and plugged it back in and now everything seems to be working.  I must have an intermittent cable or socket or solder problem.  Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction.  I’ll see about fixing the problem tomorrow when I have more light.

          Jerry W5JH