Re: [softrock40] Re: "sound card" proposal for Ensemble RX II....

  • John Williams
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 25, 2013
      I bought a X-Fi also, works very well. At times you can buy refurb ones direct from Creative on their web site at a substantial discount from list.

      John - ke5ssh
      On 2/24/2013 10:05 PM, K2DMS wrote:

      It appears to be good to 48 KHz, but for a little more you could go X-Fi and get 96 KHz

      http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Surround-5.1/M/B0044DEDCA.htm

      Or eBay.

      --

      John Williams

      KE5SSH - ham since 2007
      WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

    • Zack Widup
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 25, 2013
        I've been using a Creative X-Fi model SB1095. It's well worth the
        money having that 96 kHz passband. I've been very happy with it. And
        that link you showed lists it as a special right now at less than
        twice the cost of the Behringer unit. I might just get another one at
        that price.

        I did the mod of adding the two extra electrolytics. I'd recommend that, too.

        73, Zack W9SZ

        On 2/25/13, John Williams <KE5SSH@...> wrote:
        > I bought a X-Fi also, works very well. At times you can buy refurb ones
        > direct from Creative on their web site at a substantial discount from list.
        >
        > John - ke5ssh
        > On 2/24/2013 10:05 PM, K2DMS wrote:
        >>
        >> It appears to be good to 48 KHz, but for a little more you could go
        >> X-Fi and get 96 KHz
        >>
        >> http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Surround-5.1/M/B0044DEDCA.htm
        >>
        >> Or eBay.
        >>
        >> --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
        >> <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, "dukeofbecker" wrote:
        >> >
        >> > I recently purchased the built Ensemble RX II, and I believe the
        >> sound card on my computer is creating problems. (no stereo line-in jack )
        >> >
        >> > Will the following unit work as a sound card substitute? (see link
        >> below):
        >> >

        >> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KW2YEI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
        >> >
        >> > It is a Behringer UCA202 Audio Interface with left and right channel
        >> RCA inputs and USB output to computer. I think I would like to try this!
        >> >
        >> > Carl KC2PQG
        >> >

        > --
        >
        > John Williams
        >
        > KE5SSH - ham since 2007
        > WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

      • Filip
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 26, 2013
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 26, 2013
            Subject: [softrock40] Re: "sound card" proposal for Ensemble RX II....

            > did somebody tried this sound card:
            >
            > http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesaleproduct/wholesaleProductDetail.htm?productId=630077264&productSubject=Free-shipping-HiFi-24bit-192khz-USB-DAC-digital-sound-card-CM108AH-digital-to-analog-converter
            >
            > Any opinion if it is a good idea?

            Filip,

            It does not seem to have stereo input.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • Filip Atanassov
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 26, 2013
              Thanks Alan.

              I assume the MIC input is stereo as it has stereo output. It is hard to believe somebody will build a sound card with mono input and stereo output but again we shouldn't forget where it is coming from ;-)
              I hope somebody tested it and will give us some feedback.

              73 Filip VA3FDA

                > I assume the MIC input is stereo as it has stereo output. It is hard to
                > believe somebody will build a sound card with mono input and stereo
                > output but again we shouldn't forget where it is coming from ;-)
                > I hope somebody tested it and will give us some feedback.

                Filip,

                Do not assume! There are quite a few designed as monitors.

                73 Alan G4ZFQ
              • cc_photo
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 26, 2013
                  If the mic input uses a single RCA phono type jack, it is almost invariably a mono input.

                  Roland, KB8XI

                  > Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: "sound card" proposal for Ensemble RX II....
                  >

                  > > I assume the MIC input is stereo as it has stereo output. It is hard to
                  > > believe somebody will build a sound card with mono input and stereo
                  > > output but again we shouldn't forget where it is coming from ;-)
                  > > I hope somebody tested it and will give us some feedback.
                  > >

                  > Filip,
                  >
                  > Do not assume! There are quite a few designed as monitors.
                  >
                  > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                • Filip Atanassov
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 26, 2013
                    this is absolutely true.
                    But if you loot at the open box picture the MIC connector does not look like a RCA jack.
                    Anyway, I was hoping somebody has the unit and could give real info. I tried to get information from the seller. If I find something useful I'll post it here.

                    73 Filip VA3FDA

                    On 2/26/2013 2:57 PM, cc_photo wrote:

                    If the mic input uses a single RCA phono type jack, it is almost invariably a mono input.

                    Roland, KB8XI

                    > Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: "sound card" proposal for Ensemble RX II....
                    >

                    > > I assume the MIC input is stereo as it has stereo output. It is hard to
                    > > believe somebody will build a sound card with mono input and stereo
                    > > output but again we shouldn't forget where it is coming from ;-)
                    > > I hope somebody tested it and will give us some feedback.
                    > >

                    > Filip,
                    >
                    > Do not assume! There are quite a few designed as monitors.
                    >
                    > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                  • K2DMS
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 27, 2013
                      I found this same model on eBay and asked the seller about the mic input and it is mono. :(

                      Sorry.

                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Filip" <vph000@...> wrote:

                      > Hi to the group!
                      >
                      > did somebody tried this sound card: