Re: [softrock40] "sound card" proposal for Ensemble RX II....

    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 24 11:36 AM
      Subject: [softrock40] "sound card" proposal for Ensemble RX II....

      >I recently purchased the built Ensemble RX II, and I believe the sound card on my computer is creating problems. (no stereo line-in
      >jack <sigh>)

      Carl

      If you have a desktop I think it unlikely not to have a stereo input. Indeed most modern laptops have (maybe well hidden) stereo
      input capability.

      > Will the following unit work as a sound card substitute? (see link below):
      >
      > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KW2YEI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
      >
      > It is a Behringer UCA202 Audio Interface with left and right channel RCA inputs and USB output to computer. I think I would like
      > to try this!

      But this looks as if it should be adequate for a start.
      If you discover it has faults you cannot tolerate then is the time to look for more expensive alternatives.

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • warrenallgyer
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 24 2:02 PM
        Carl

        This looks like it would work fine. It is a 16 bit interface, comparable to the Griffin iMic and most inexpensive USB interfaces. It seems a bit overpriced for what it is and you will need RCA to 3.5 mm cable adapters which can be a little pricey. But it should work fine.

        Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "dukeofbecker" <carlperez54@...> wrote:

        > I recently purchased the built Ensemble RX II, and I believe the sound card on my computer is creating problems. (no stereo line-in jack <sigh>)
        >
        > Will the following unit work as a sound card substitute? (see link below):
        >
        > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KW2YEI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
        >
        > It is a Behringer UCA202 Audio Interface with left and right channel RCA inputs and USB output to computer. I think I would like to try this!
        >
        > Carl KC2PQG

      • K2DMS
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 24 8:05 PM
          It appears to be good to 48 KHz, but for a little more you could go X-Fi and get 96 KHz

          http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Surround-5.1/M/B0044DEDCA.htm

          Or eBay.

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "dukeofbecker" <carlperez54@...> wrote:

          > I recently purchased the built Ensemble RX II, and I believe the sound card on my computer is creating problems. (no stereo line-in jack <sigh>)
          >
          > Will the following unit work as a sound card substitute? (see link below):
          >
          > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KW2YEI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
          >
          > It is a Behringer UCA202 Audio Interface with left and right channel RCA inputs and USB output to computer. I think I would like to try this!
          >
          > Carl KC2PQG

        • John Williams
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 25 4:47 AM
            I bought a X-Fi also, works very well. At times you can buy refurb ones direct from Creative on their web site at a substantial discount from list.

            John - ke5ssh

            --

            John Williams

            KE5SSH - ham since 2007
            WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

          • Zack Widup
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 25 6:37 AM
              I've been using a Creative X-Fi model SB1095. It's well worth the
              money having that 96 kHz passband. I've been very happy with it. And
              that link you showed lists it as a special right now at less than
              twice the cost of the Behringer unit. I might just get another one at
              that price.

              I did the mod of adding the two extra electrolytics. I'd recommend that, too.

              73, Zack W9SZ

              On 2/25/13, John Williams <KE5SSH@...> wrote:
              > I bought a X-Fi also, works very well. At times you can buy refurb ones
              > direct from Creative on their web site at a substantial discount from list.
              >
              > John - ke5ssh
              > On 2/24/2013 10:05 PM, K2DMS wrote:
              >>
              >> It appears to be good to 48 KHz, but for a little more you could go
              >> X-Fi and get 96 KHz
              >>
              >> http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Surround-5.1/M/B0044DEDCA.htm
              >>
              >> Or eBay.
              >>
              >> --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
              >> <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, "dukeofbecker" wrote:
              >> >
              >> > I recently purchased the built Ensemble RX II, and I believe the
              >> sound card on my computer is creating problems. (no stereo line-in jack )
              >> >
              >> > Will the following unit work as a sound card substitute? (see link
              >> below):
              >> >

              >> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KW2YEI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
              >> >
              >> > It is a Behringer UCA202 Audio Interface with left and right channel
              >> RCA inputs and USB output to computer. I think I would like to try this!
              >> >
              >> > Carl KC2PQG
              >> >

              > --
              >
              > John Williams
              >
              > KE5SSH - ham since 2007
              > WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

            • Filip
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 26 6:10 AM
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 26 6:20 AM
                  Subject: [softrock40] Re: "sound card" proposal for Ensemble RX II....

                  > did somebody tried this sound card:
                  >
                  > http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesaleproduct/wholesaleProductDetail.htm?productId=630077264&productSubject=Free-shipping-HiFi-24bit-192khz-USB-DAC-digital-sound-card-CM108AH-digital-to-analog-converter
                  >
                  > Any opinion if it is a good idea?

                  Filip,

                  It does not seem to have stereo input.

                  73 Alan G4ZFQ
                • Filip Atanassov
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 26 6:28 AM
                    Thanks Alan.

                    I assume the MIC input is stereo as it has stereo output. It is hard to believe somebody will build a sound card with mono input and stereo output but again we shouldn't forget where it is coming from ;-)
                    I hope somebody tested it and will give us some feedback.

                    73 Filip VA3FDA

                      > I assume the MIC input is stereo as it has stereo output. It is hard to
                      > believe somebody will build a sound card with mono input and stereo
                      > output but again we shouldn't forget where it is coming from ;-)
                      > I hope somebody tested it and will give us some feedback.

                      Filip,

                      Do not assume! There are quite a few designed as monitors.

                      73 Alan G4ZFQ
                    • cc_photo
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 26 11:57 AM
                        If the mic input uses a single RCA phono type jack, it is almost invariably a mono input.

                        Roland, KB8XI

                        > Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: "sound card" proposal for Ensemble RX II....
                        >

                        > > I assume the MIC input is stereo as it has stereo output. It is hard to
                        > > believe somebody will build a sound card with mono input and stereo
                        > > output but again we shouldn't forget where it is coming from ;-)
                        > > I hope somebody tested it and will give us some feedback.
                        > >

                        > Filip,
                        >
                        > Do not assume! There are quite a few designed as monitors.
                        >
                        > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                      • Filip Atanassov
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 26 12:32 PM
                          this is absolutely true.
                          But if you loot at the open box picture the MIC connector does not look like a RCA jack.
                          Anyway, I was hoping somebody has the unit and could give real info. I tried to get information from the seller. If I find something useful I'll post it here.

                          73 Filip VA3FDA

                          On 2/26/2013 2:57 PM, cc_photo wrote:

                          If the mic input uses a single RCA phono type jack, it is almost invariably a mono input.

                          Roland, KB8XI

                          > Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: "sound card" proposal for Ensemble RX II....
                          >

                          > > I assume the MIC input is stereo as it has stereo output. It is hard to
                          > > believe somebody will build a sound card with mono input and stereo
                          > > output but again we shouldn't forget where it is coming from ;-)
                          > > I hope somebody tested it and will give us some feedback.
                          > >

                          > Filip,
                          >
                          > Do not assume! There are quite a few designed as monitors.
                          >
                          > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                        • K2DMS
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 27 8:11 AM
                            I found this same model on eBay and asked the seller about the mic input and it is mono. :(

                            Sorry.

                            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Filip" <vph000@...> wrote:

                            > Hi to the group!
                            >
                            > did somebody tried this sound card: