Re: "sound card" proposal for Ensemble RX II....

  • Leonard McGarity
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 24, 2013
      You might want to know the bit depth and sample rate, affects quality and bandwidth. My PC has on MB sound that caused conflicts so I installed a PCI 24bit/192kc M-Audio AP 192. I’ve also seen the M-Audio 144 mentioned here also. The 192 was about $100, don’t know about Delta 44. Link, WV4I

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 24, 2013
        Subject: [softrock40] "sound card" proposal for Ensemble RX II....

        >I recently purchased the built Ensemble RX II, and I believe the sound card on my computer is creating problems. (no stereo line-in
        >jack <sigh>)

        Carl

        If you have a desktop I think it unlikely not to have a stereo input. Indeed most modern laptops have (maybe well hidden) stereo
        input capability.

        > Will the following unit work as a sound card substitute? (see link below):
        >
        > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KW2YEI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
        >
        > It is a Behringer UCA202 Audio Interface with left and right channel RCA inputs and USB output to computer. I think I would like
        > to try this!

        But this looks as if it should be adequate for a start.
        If you discover it has faults you cannot tolerate then is the time to look for more expensive alternatives.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • warrenallgyer
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 24, 2013
          Carl

          This looks like it would work fine. It is a 16 bit interface, comparable to the Griffin iMic and most inexpensive USB interfaces. It seems a bit overpriced for what it is and you will need RCA to 3.5 mm cable adapters which can be a little pricey. But it should work fine.

          Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "dukeofbecker" <carlperez54@...> wrote:

          > I recently purchased the built Ensemble RX II, and I believe the sound card on my computer is creating problems. (no stereo line-in jack <sigh>)
          >
          > Will the following unit work as a sound card substitute? (see link below):
          >
          > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KW2YEI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
          >
          > It is a Behringer UCA202 Audio Interface with left and right channel RCA inputs and USB output to computer. I think I would like to try this!
          >
          > Carl KC2PQG

        • K2DMS
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 24, 2013
            It appears to be good to 48 KHz, but for a little more you could go X-Fi and get 96 KHz

            http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Surround-5.1/M/B0044DEDCA.htm

            Or eBay.

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "dukeofbecker" <carlperez54@...> wrote:

            > I recently purchased the built Ensemble RX II, and I believe the sound card on my computer is creating problems. (no stereo line-in jack <sigh>)
            >
            > Will the following unit work as a sound card substitute? (see link below):
            >
            > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KW2YEI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
            >
            > It is a Behringer UCA202 Audio Interface with left and right channel RCA inputs and USB output to computer. I think I would like to try this!
            >
            > Carl KC2PQG

          • John Williams
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 25, 2013
              I bought a X-Fi also, works very well. At times you can buy refurb ones direct from Creative on their web site at a substantial discount from list.

              John - ke5ssh

              --

              John Williams

              KE5SSH - ham since 2007
              WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

            • Zack Widup
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 25, 2013
                I've been using a Creative X-Fi model SB1095. It's well worth the
                money having that 96 kHz passband. I've been very happy with it. And
                that link you showed lists it as a special right now at less than
                twice the cost of the Behringer unit. I might just get another one at
                that price.

                I did the mod of adding the two extra electrolytics. I'd recommend that, too.

                73, Zack W9SZ

                On 2/25/13, John Williams <KE5SSH@...> wrote:
                > I bought a X-Fi also, works very well. At times you can buy refurb ones
                > direct from Creative on their web site at a substantial discount from list.
                >
                > John - ke5ssh
                > On 2/24/2013 10:05 PM, K2DMS wrote:
                >>
                >> It appears to be good to 48 KHz, but for a little more you could go
                >> X-Fi and get 96 KHz
                >>
                >> http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Surround-5.1/M/B0044DEDCA.htm
                >>
                >> Or eBay.
                >>
                >> --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                >> <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, "dukeofbecker" wrote:
                >> >
                >> > I recently purchased the built Ensemble RX II, and I believe the
                >> sound card on my computer is creating problems. (no stereo line-in jack )
                >> >
                >> > Will the following unit work as a sound card substitute? (see link
                >> below):
                >> >

                >> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KW2YEI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
                >> >
                >> > It is a Behringer UCA202 Audio Interface with left and right channel
                >> RCA inputs and USB output to computer. I think I would like to try this!
                >> >
                >> > Carl KC2PQG
                >> >

                > --
                >
                > John Williams
                >
                > KE5SSH - ham since 2007
                > WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

              • Filip
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 26, 2013
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 26, 2013
                    Subject: [softrock40] Re: "sound card" proposal for Ensemble RX II....

                    > did somebody tried this sound card:
                    >
                    > http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesaleproduct/wholesaleProductDetail.htm?productId=630077264&productSubject=Free-shipping-HiFi-24bit-192khz-USB-DAC-digital-sound-card-CM108AH-digital-to-analog-converter
                    >
                    > Any opinion if it is a good idea?

                    Filip,

                    It does not seem to have stereo input.

                    73 Alan G4ZFQ
                  • Filip Atanassov
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 26, 2013
                      Thanks Alan.

                      I assume the MIC input is stereo as it has stereo output. It is hard to believe somebody will build a sound card with mono input and stereo output but again we shouldn't forget where it is coming from ;-)
                      I hope somebody tested it and will give us some feedback.

                      73 Filip VA3FDA

                        > I assume the MIC input is stereo as it has stereo output. It is hard to
                        > believe somebody will build a sound card with mono input and stereo
                        > output but again we shouldn't forget where it is coming from ;-)
                        > I hope somebody tested it and will give us some feedback.

                        Filip,

                        Do not assume! There are quite a few designed as monitors.

                        73 Alan G4ZFQ
                      • cc_photo
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 26, 2013
                          If the mic input uses a single RCA phono type jack, it is almost invariably a mono input.

                          Roland, KB8XI

                          > Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: "sound card" proposal for Ensemble RX II....
                          >

                          > > I assume the MIC input is stereo as it has stereo output. It is hard to
                          > > believe somebody will build a sound card with mono input and stereo
                          > > output but again we shouldn't forget where it is coming from ;-)
                          > > I hope somebody tested it and will give us some feedback.
                          > >

                          > Filip,
                          >
                          > Do not assume! There are quite a few designed as monitors.
                          >
                          > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                        • Filip Atanassov
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 26, 2013
                            this is absolutely true.
                            But if you loot at the open box picture the MIC connector does not look like a RCA jack.
                            Anyway, I was hoping somebody has the unit and could give real info. I tried to get information from the seller. If I find something useful I'll post it here.

                            73 Filip VA3FDA

                            On 2/26/2013 2:57 PM, cc_photo wrote:

                            If the mic input uses a single RCA phono type jack, it is almost invariably a mono input.

                            Roland, KB8XI

                            > Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: "sound card" proposal for Ensemble RX II....
                            >

                            > > I assume the MIC input is stereo as it has stereo output. It is hard to
                            > > believe somebody will build a sound card with mono input and stereo
                            > > output but again we shouldn't forget where it is coming from ;-)
                            > > I hope somebody tested it and will give us some feedback.
                            > >

                            > Filip,
                            >
                            > Do not assume! There are quite a few designed as monitors.
                            >
                            > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                          • K2DMS
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 27, 2013
                              I found this same model on eBay and asked the seller about the mic input and it is mono. :(

                              Sorry.

                              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Filip" <vph000@...> wrote:

                              > Hi to the group!
                              >
                              > did somebody tried this sound card: