"sound card" proposal for Ensemble RX II....

  • dukeofbecker
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 24, 2013
      I recently purchased the built Ensemble RX II, and I believe the sound card on my computer is creating problems. (no stereo line-in jack <sigh>)

      Will the following unit work as a sound card substitute? (see link below):

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KW2YEI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

      It is a Behringer UCA202 Audio Interface with left and right channel RCA inputs and USB output to computer. I think I would like to try this!

      Carl KC2PQG
    • Leonard McGarity
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 24, 2013
        You might want to know the bit depth and sample rate, affects quality and bandwidth. My PC has on MB sound that caused conflicts so I installed a PCI 24bit/192kc M-Audio AP 192. I’ve also seen the M-Audio 144 mentioned here also. The 192 was about $100, don’t know about Delta 44. Link, WV4I

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 24, 2013
          Subject: [softrock40] "sound card" proposal for Ensemble RX II....

          >I recently purchased the built Ensemble RX II, and I believe the sound card on my computer is creating problems. (no stereo line-in
          >jack <sigh>)

          Carl

          If you have a desktop I think it unlikely not to have a stereo input. Indeed most modern laptops have (maybe well hidden) stereo
          input capability.

          > Will the following unit work as a sound card substitute? (see link below):
          >
          > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KW2YEI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
          >
          > It is a Behringer UCA202 Audio Interface with left and right channel RCA inputs and USB output to computer. I think I would like
          > to try this!

          But this looks as if it should be adequate for a start.
          If you discover it has faults you cannot tolerate then is the time to look for more expensive alternatives.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ
        • warrenallgyer
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 24, 2013
            Carl

            This looks like it would work fine. It is a 16 bit interface, comparable to the Griffin iMic and most inexpensive USB interfaces. It seems a bit overpriced for what it is and you will need RCA to 3.5 mm cable adapters which can be a little pricey. But it should work fine.

            Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "dukeofbecker" <carlperez54@...> wrote:

            > I recently purchased the built Ensemble RX II, and I believe the sound card on my computer is creating problems. (no stereo line-in jack <sigh>)
            >
            > Will the following unit work as a sound card substitute? (see link below):
            >
            > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KW2YEI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
            >
            > It is a Behringer UCA202 Audio Interface with left and right channel RCA inputs and USB output to computer. I think I would like to try this!
            >
            > Carl KC2PQG

          • K2DMS
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 24, 2013
              It appears to be good to 48 KHz, but for a little more you could go X-Fi and get 96 KHz

              http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Surround-5.1/M/B0044DEDCA.htm

              Or eBay.

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "dukeofbecker" <carlperez54@...> wrote:

              > I recently purchased the built Ensemble RX II, and I believe the sound card on my computer is creating problems. (no stereo line-in jack <sigh>)
              >
              > Will the following unit work as a sound card substitute? (see link below):
              >
              > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KW2YEI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
              >
              > It is a Behringer UCA202 Audio Interface with left and right channel RCA inputs and USB output to computer. I think I would like to try this!
              >
              > Carl KC2PQG

            • John Williams
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 25, 2013
                I bought a X-Fi also, works very well. At times you can buy refurb ones direct from Creative on their web site at a substantial discount from list.

                John - ke5ssh

                --

                John Williams

                KE5SSH - ham since 2007
                WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

              • Zack Widup
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 25, 2013
                  I've been using a Creative X-Fi model SB1095. It's well worth the
                  money having that 96 kHz passband. I've been very happy with it. And
                  that link you showed lists it as a special right now at less than
                  twice the cost of the Behringer unit. I might just get another one at
                  that price.

                  I did the mod of adding the two extra electrolytics. I'd recommend that, too.

                  73, Zack W9SZ

                  On 2/25/13, John Williams <KE5SSH@...> wrote:
                  > I bought a X-Fi also, works very well. At times you can buy refurb ones
                  > direct from Creative on their web site at a substantial discount from list.
                  >
                  > John - ke5ssh
                  > On 2/24/2013 10:05 PM, K2DMS wrote:
                  >>
                  >> It appears to be good to 48 KHz, but for a little more you could go
                  >> X-Fi and get 96 KHz
                  >>
                  >> http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Surround-5.1/M/B0044DEDCA.htm
                  >>
                  >> Or eBay.
                  >>
                  >> --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                  >> <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, "dukeofbecker" wrote:
                  >> >
                  >> > I recently purchased the built Ensemble RX II, and I believe the
                  >> sound card on my computer is creating problems. (no stereo line-in jack )
                  >> >
                  >> > Will the following unit work as a sound card substitute? (see link
                  >> below):
                  >> >

                  >> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KW2YEI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
                  >> >
                  >> > It is a Behringer UCA202 Audio Interface with left and right channel
                  >> RCA inputs and USB output to computer. I think I would like to try this!
                  >> >
                  >> > Carl KC2PQG
                  >> >

                  > --
                  >
                  > John Williams
                  >
                  > KE5SSH - ham since 2007
                  > WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

                • Filip
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 26, 2013
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 26, 2013
                      Subject: [softrock40] Re: "sound card" proposal for Ensemble RX II....

                      > did somebody tried this sound card:
                      >
                      > http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesaleproduct/wholesaleProductDetail.htm?productId=630077264&productSubject=Free-shipping-HiFi-24bit-192khz-USB-DAC-digital-sound-card-CM108AH-digital-to-analog-converter
                      >
                      > Any opinion if it is a good idea?

                      Filip,

                      It does not seem to have stereo input.

                      73 Alan G4ZFQ
                    • Filip Atanassov
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 26, 2013
                        Thanks Alan.

                        I assume the MIC input is stereo as it has stereo output. It is hard to believe somebody will build a sound card with mono input and stereo output but again we shouldn't forget where it is coming from ;-)
                        I hope somebody tested it and will give us some feedback.

                        73 Filip VA3FDA

                          > I assume the MIC input is stereo as it has stereo output. It is hard to
                          > believe somebody will build a sound card with mono input and stereo
                          > output but again we shouldn't forget where it is coming from ;-)
                          > I hope somebody tested it and will give us some feedback.

                          Filip,

                          Do not assume! There are quite a few designed as monitors.

                          73 Alan G4ZFQ
                        • cc_photo
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 26, 2013
                            If the mic input uses a single RCA phono type jack, it is almost invariably a mono input.

                            Roland, KB8XI

                            > Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: "sound card" proposal for Ensemble RX II....
                            >

                            > > I assume the MIC input is stereo as it has stereo output. It is hard to
                            > > believe somebody will build a sound card with mono input and stereo
                            > > output but again we shouldn't forget where it is coming from ;-)
                            > > I hope somebody tested it and will give us some feedback.
                            > >

                            > Filip,
                            >
                            > Do not assume! There are quite a few designed as monitors.
                            >
                            > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                          • Filip Atanassov
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 26, 2013
                              this is absolutely true.
                              But if you loot at the open box picture the MIC connector does not look like a RCA jack.
                              Anyway, I was hoping somebody has the unit and could give real info. I tried to get information from the seller. If I find something useful I'll post it here.

                              73 Filip VA3FDA

                              On 2/26/2013 2:57 PM, cc_photo wrote:

                              If the mic input uses a single RCA phono type jack, it is almost invariably a mono input.

                              Roland, KB8XI

                              > Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: "sound card" proposal for Ensemble RX II....
                              >

                              > > I assume the MIC input is stereo as it has stereo output. It is hard to
                              > > believe somebody will build a sound card with mono input and stereo
                              > > output but again we shouldn't forget where it is coming from ;-)
                              > > I hope somebody tested it and will give us some feedback.
                              > >

                              > Filip,
                              >
                              > Do not assume! There are quite a few designed as monitors.
                              >
                              > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                            • K2DMS
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 27, 2013
                                I found this same model on eBay and asked the seller about the mic input and it is mono. :(

                                Sorry.

                                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Filip" <vph000@...> wrote:

                                > Hi to the group!
                                >
                                > did somebody tried this sound card: