Re: [softrock40] Re: How does one set up the Ensemble RXTX transmit?

  • John Greusel
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 24, 2013
      Joel,

      To some degree it's a matter of permutations and combinations. There are so many possible configurations that it is difficult to document a setup that's really a universal. Alan has done a good job of giving a good overview. I would suggest just plunging ahead and ask questions when you're stuck. As I usually do- I challenge you to document your progress and post a file that may be the bread crumbs that others can follow.

      John
      KC9OJV

      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 24, 2013

        > Further comments...
        >
        > I've just read another post that notes PowerSDR 2.x.x won't work if I want to plug my paddles directly in to the SoftRock. That's
        > a shame, as I hate using obsolete software when there's a shiny new version waiting for me! I have a serial port paddle interface
        > so will try that.
        >
        > There's a LOT of discussion about how to configure Rocky to ensure the radio doesn't over-drive on Tx. But so far I haven't seen
        > anything about how to do that in PowerSDR. I've found the PA Settings tab in Setup but they seem to be aimed at calibrating a 100
        > watt Flex radio not a 1-2 watt Softrock. Can anyone make suggestions about how this must be done, or does PowerSDR manage it
        > automatically, or?

        Joel,

        I think that this calibration is the way. There can be no automatic action. Again I think information is either in past posts or the
        Files section of the PSDR-IQ group. I know I've seen the correct way somewhere...

        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 24, 2013

          > I'm using PowerSDR 2.4.4 by Christos. This is one of the real areas of confusion for me. Every time I get online I see someone
          > recommending a different version. Some posts (older ones) say that only version 1.x.x works well, and I've wondered if I must
          > stick with an otherwise obsolete version to allow me to have full use of the Softrock RxTx.

          Joel,

          Stick with that one if you can.
          Note that Christos will say that you must use a supported card. Not easy. You may manage without but nothing is guaranteed.

          Some of the earlier versions are more flexible in that respect but are missing later developments.

          > I have gotten so far as to send test tones as well, getting almost 3 watts out at 40 metres and 2 watts at 20 metres. My biggest
          > concern right now is avoiding overdriving, but I haven't found good instructions from Christos about how to set up his version of
          > PowerSDR to avoid that. Time for more reading...

          That seems to be pushing too hard.
          As mentioned on my page the full PSDR manual is in the Files section of the PDSR-IQ group. And also look at the Links section.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ
        • kb9gpm
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 24, 2013
            Hi Joel

            Well if you are getting the tone tests to work and a good output, you are mostly there. I just finished playing with mine to test some things. In my case, all I had to do was adjust the drive slider in the PowerSDR to get the output to ~ 1w. The drive slider would let me adjust it from 0W to almost 5W when set to about 75%. After 75% drive it didn't change.

            73's
            Dave