Re: How does one set up the Ensemble RXTX transmit?

  • warrenallgyer
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 22, 2013
      Joel

      After hitting SEND I realized I made some assumptions that a newbie may not make:

      1) You will need a second sound card. You need a sound input for the Line In from the RXTX and, of course, a Speaker output to listen to. Finally you need a separate output for the Transmit to the Line Out of the RXTX. I like to use a USB headset for the Speaker out and the laptop Line In for receive audio and the laptop Line Out for transmit. It is a matter of personal preference.

      2) You will want to adjust the IQ balance on transmit. This is under Tools/Tx IQ Balance. You will need a second receiver. You will likely not need to connect it directly to the RXTX. With the RXTX on a dummy load and the receiver tuned to the Image frequency on the left side of the adjustment screen, click the Start button and use the sliders to null the image signal. Retune the receive to the image freq on the right side and do the same. Go back and forth until you get no further improvement or until the image signals disappear.... and they should disappear completely. This is a separate adjustment for each band you use on Rocky.

      3) The list of center frequencies under the frequency pulldown is readily editable. Under Help click on Data folder and open the Rocky configuration file in a Text Editor. Scroll down to the band settings and add whatever frequencies you want, following the template of what is already there.

      Finally, all of this is information is readily available in much more detail in the help file under Help/Web Site.

      Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

      > Joel
      >
      > In my experience Rocky is the easiest and quickest to get working on transmit. It can be more difficult and a little unstable on Win 7 and above.

    • joelweder
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 24, 2013
        I've been staying away from the group for a couple of days as the stress was honestly causing me some illness. I had been trying to work through the myriad of possible ways to get my softrock working on Tx and became totally overwhelmed. I guess I'm not good with messy complexity.

        As a result I reached out for help, but ended up using some dark humor which my friends find funny but probably most others would think to be harsh. So my apologies if my post appeared too rude.

        Thanks to all who have written to make suggestions about how to move forward. I will give it a try, and will reply separately to those other posts.

        Since my previous post I have also found Alan's very helpful page: https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/soundcard_sdr_software which contains a lot of useful information. I guess I wasn't using the right search terms in Google because this page had never come up for me before.

        > Subject: [softrock40] Re: How does one set up the Ensemble RXTX transmit?
        >

        > > Hi all,
        > >
        > > Strange thing but this thread seems to have gone dead! I too am now at the point where I want to start transmitting with my
        > > Softrock. It seems nobody is willing to put down on paper (so to speak) the process they've followed. Is this an initiation of
        > > some sort? Don't get into the secret society unless you can figure out how to get your softrock to transmit with PowerSDR or
        > > whatever?
        >
        > Joel,
        >
        > Yes, that's right do it yourself. If you did not write in that tone of voice maybe you'll get nicer replies.
        >
        > As far as I know what you ask does not exist.
        > Yes, I figured it out, fumbled about experimenting until I got my system to work.
        > It seems most others manage the same with a little help from the group.
        >
        > With soundcard SDR there is no guaranteed route, everyone's setup and requirements are different.
        > Most likely to succeed and best documented is PSDR using a supported card. BUT lots of learning required.
        > https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/soundcard_sdr_software#PSDR-IQ and the rest of my PSDR section gives links to everything
        > but it is not all in one place. The latest PDSDR-IQ will do everything.
        >
        > Sorry, it's do it yourself, members of the group try hard with specific questions.
        >
        > 73 Alan G4ZFQ
        >

        > > I, like so many other people, have limited free time and patience. My little Softrock is receiving wonderfully, and all the
        > > instructions on Robby's website are absolutely amazing. But then when it comes time to get the little sucker talking, there's a
        > > huge vacuum in terms of online help. Just a bunch of very generic comments, none of which are really very helpful.
        > >
        > > I realize everybody here is likely just as busy as I am. But for all the huge effort that has gone into this project so far, it
        > > would be absolutely WONDERFUL if 2 or 3 people would take on the chore of documenting their specific setups. Eg Rocky on CW,
        > > PowerSDR on SSB, etc.

      • joelweder
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 24, 2013
          Hi Dave and all,

          I'm using a PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL. It's an external USB device, a 2 track recording interface for musicians. Not ideal but I needed it for other projects anyway. It's got 96 kHz bandwidth which is good enough for my uses. My Dell Studio XPS 8000 also has a Soundblaster x-Fi Xtreme audio card which should suffice for mic in & audio out to my ears.

          The Dell has a Core i7 cpu running Win7, 8 GB RAM at 2.8 GHz. It should suffice for PowerSDR but Rocky is out except for simple experiments. I've had strange results with Rocky, and I know it's meant for WinXP or older. (A real shame, would be great to see a Win7 version someday!)

          I'm using PowerSDR 2.4.4 by Christos. This is one of the real areas of confusion for me. Every time I get online I see someone recommending a different version. Some posts (older ones) say that only version 1.x.x works well, and I've wondered if I must stick with an otherwise obsolete version to allow me to have full use of the Softrock RxTx.

          I have gotten so far as to send test tones as well, getting almost 3 watts out at 40 metres and 2 watts at 20 metres. My biggest concern right now is avoiding overdriving, but I haven't found good instructions from Christos about how to set up his version of PowerSDR to avoid that. Time for more reading...

          Joel, VE6EI

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9gpm" <goofy_36@...> wrote:

          > Hi Joel
          >
          > We'll I'll take a stab at helping you with your radio. Like the others have said, it's a very much dig in and learn it all yourself kind of thing.
          >
          > So first things first.
          >
          > What kind of sound card are you using and what version of PowerSDR?
          >
          > For reference, I've seemed to have the best luck with PowerSDRc2.4.4 for homemade rigs. At least so far since I'm still trying different combinations out. I'm also using the E-mu 0202 USB sound card.
          >
          > Also, I'm still testing things on mine and haven't done much more than do the tone tests to confirm the PA section is working.
          >
          > 73's
          > Dave KB9GPM
          >
          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "joelweder" <jweder@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > Strange thing but this thread seems to have gone dead! I too am now at the point where I want to start transmitting with my Softrock. It seems nobody is willing to put down on paper (so to speak) the process they've followed. Is this an initiation of some sort? Don't get into the secret society unless you can figure out how to get your softrock to transmit with PowerSDR or whatever?
          > >
          > > I, like so many other people, have limited free time and patience. My little Softrock is receiving wonderfully, and all the instructions on Robby's website are absolutely amazing. But then when it comes time to get the little sucker talking, there's a huge vacuum in terms of online help. Just a bunch of very generic comments, none of which are really very helpful.
          > >
          > > I realize everybody here is likely just as busy as I am. But for all the huge effort that has gone into this project so far, it would be absolutely WONDERFUL if 2 or 3 people would take on the chore of documenting their specific setups. Eg Rocky on CW, PowerSDR on SSB, etc.
          > >
          > > Joel, VE6EI

        • joelweder
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 24, 2013
            Hi Warren,

            Thanks for your helpful comments. As I'm using Win7 I'm going to focus on PowerSDR rather than Rocky. A bit of a shame as Rocky seems so much easier in some ways. (I want to run CW and PSK31 mostly) I've already used Rocky enough to know it's a bit flakey on my machine. I might install it on an older laptop here at some point but not enough time for going in multiple directions right now.

            I'm sure your comments will be very helpful to others who want to try Rocky however!

            Joel VE6EI

            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 24, 2013
              Further comments...

              I've just read another post that notes PowerSDR 2.x.x won't work if I want to plug my paddles directly in to the SoftRock. That's a shame, as I hate using obsolete software when there's a shiny new version waiting for me! I have a serial port paddle interface so will try that.

              There's a LOT of discussion about how to configure Rocky to ensure the radio doesn't over-drive on Tx. But so far I haven't seen anything about how to do that in PowerSDR. I've found the PA Settings tab in Setup but they seem to be aimed at calibrating a 100 watt Flex radio not a 1-2 watt Softrock. Can anyone make suggestions about how this must be done, or does PowerSDR manage it automatically, or?

              Joel VE6EI

            • John Greusel
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 24, 2013
                Joel,

                To some degree it's a matter of permutations and combinations. There are so many possible configurations that it is difficult to document a setup that's really a universal. Alan has done a good job of giving a good overview. I would suggest just plunging ahead and ask questions when you're stuck. As I usually do- I challenge you to document your progress and post a file that may be the bread crumbs that others can follow.

                John
                KC9OJV

                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 24, 2013

                  > Further comments...
                  >
                  > I've just read another post that notes PowerSDR 2.x.x won't work if I want to plug my paddles directly in to the SoftRock. That's
                  > a shame, as I hate using obsolete software when there's a shiny new version waiting for me! I have a serial port paddle interface
                  > so will try that.
                  >
                  > There's a LOT of discussion about how to configure Rocky to ensure the radio doesn't over-drive on Tx. But so far I haven't seen
                  > anything about how to do that in PowerSDR. I've found the PA Settings tab in Setup but they seem to be aimed at calibrating a 100
                  > watt Flex radio not a 1-2 watt Softrock. Can anyone make suggestions about how this must be done, or does PowerSDR manage it
                  > automatically, or?

                  Joel,

                  I think that this calibration is the way. There can be no automatic action. Again I think information is either in past posts or the
                  Files section of the PSDR-IQ group. I know I've seen the correct way somewhere...

                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 24, 2013

                    > I'm using PowerSDR 2.4.4 by Christos. This is one of the real areas of confusion for me. Every time I get online I see someone
                    > recommending a different version. Some posts (older ones) say that only version 1.x.x works well, and I've wondered if I must
                    > stick with an otherwise obsolete version to allow me to have full use of the Softrock RxTx.

                    Joel,

                    Stick with that one if you can.
                    Note that Christos will say that you must use a supported card. Not easy. You may manage without but nothing is guaranteed.

                    Some of the earlier versions are more flexible in that respect but are missing later developments.

                    > I have gotten so far as to send test tones as well, getting almost 3 watts out at 40 metres and 2 watts at 20 metres. My biggest
                    > concern right now is avoiding overdriving, but I haven't found good instructions from Christos about how to set up his version of
                    > PowerSDR to avoid that. Time for more reading...

                    That seems to be pushing too hard.
                    As mentioned on my page the full PSDR manual is in the Files section of the PDSR-IQ group. And also look at the Links section.

                    73 Alan G4ZFQ
                  • kb9gpm
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 24, 2013
                      Hi Joel

                      Well if you are getting the tone tests to work and a good output, you are mostly there. I just finished playing with mine to test some things. In my case, all I had to do was adjust the drive slider in the PowerSDR to get the output to ~ 1w. The drive slider would let me adjust it from 0W to almost 5W when set to about 75%. After 75% drive it didn't change.

                      73's
                      Dave