USB Connector

  • Jerry Haigwood
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20, 2013

      Hi All,

          I am just about finished building my Ensemble II RX.  I am having trouble with the USB connector.  It appears to be very intermittent.  I can wiggle it a bit and I get the familiar Beep-Bonk that XP puts out on the speaker when you either plug in a new USB device or remove an USB device.  After this happens, I have to unplug the USB cable, wiggle things around and sometimes I can get it fixed temporarily.  I remember seeing someone else report the same problem maybe a week or so ago.  Are the USB sockets on the board junk?  Is there a simple fix?  Maybe bend some pins?  Right now, I cannot complete the tests associated with the band pass filters due to the intermittent USB socket.  Any help would be appreciated greatly.

      Jerry W5JH

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 20, 2013
        Subject: [softrock40] USB Connector

        >> I am just about finished building my Ensemble II RX. I am having
        > trouble with the USB connector. It appears to be very intermittent. I can
        > wiggle it a bit and I get the familiar Beep-Bonk that XP puts out on the
        > speaker when you either plug in a new USB device or remove an USB device.
        > After this happens, I have to unplug the USB cable, wiggle things around and
        > sometimes I can get it fixed temporarily. I remember seeing someone else
        > report the same problem maybe a week or so ago. Are the USB sockets on the
        > board junk? Is there a simple fix? Maybe bend some pins? Right now, I
        > cannot complete the tests associated with the band pass filters due to the
        > intermittent USB socket. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

        Jerry,

        I do not think this is a common fault.
        If your cable and solder joints are good then maybe you do have a bad socket. But I'd think it unlikely.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Jerry Haigwood
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 21, 2013

          Alan,

              I found my jeweler’s screw drivers and using the smallest one, have tried bending the contacts on the connector.  It has temporarily fixed the intermittent connection.  I am hoping this is a permanent fix.  Time will tell.  The USB connector would not be an easy part to remove. So far, everything else on the build is working properly.  I took the time to measure every component before installing it (except connectors and ICs).  I adjusted the toroid inductors using my AADE LC meter.  I am hoping this insures a nice clean startup.

          Jerry W5JH