WSPR TX problem on Ensemble RXTX with Delta 44 ** Help **

  • G1IVG
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 20, 2013
      Help!!!

      I have been using my Softrock Ensemble RXTX successfully for over a year and have made many contacts on SSB using PowerSDR. However over the last few days I've been trying to get it working on WSPR using WSPR 2.1. I'm receiving and decoding really well, but for some reason my Softrock Ensemble RXTX doesn't want to transmit any RF even though the WSPR software displays the yellow TX box on the bottom right of the screen.

      The problem is as if there is no PC generated audio coming out of the Delta 44 into the Softrock Ensemble RXTX.

      My WSPR setup is as follows:

      PC : Windows 7 (32bit)
      RXTX : Softrock Ensemble RXTX (40m, 30m & 20m)
      Soundcard : Delta 44 with KB9YIG's Interface board.
      Software : WSPR 2.1

      I have the TX fraction set at 20 on the slider control and even though the software looks as if the radio is transmitting I get no RF detected on my RF power meter. But with other SDR software when used on SSB I get a good clean 1w of RF out of the radio. The problem only seems to be when using WSPR when it uses the Line In jack as opposed to the MIC In which is used on SSB.

      I must be missing something obvious, but can't seem to put my finger on what the problem is.

      Any help greatly appreciated.

      73 de Colin G1IVG
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 20, 2013
        Subject: [softrock40] WSPR TX problem on Ensemble RXTX with Delta 44 ** Help **

        > I have been using my Softrock Ensemble RXTX successfully for over a year and have made many contacts on SSB using PowerSDR.
        > However over the last few days I've been trying to get it working on WSPR using WSPR 2.1. I'm receiving and decoding really well,
        > but for some reason my Softrock Ensemble RXTX doesn't want to transmit any RF even though the WSPR software displays the yellow TX
        > box on the bottom right of the screen.
        >
        > The problem is as if there is no PC generated audio coming out of the Delta 44 into the Softrock Ensemble RXTX.
        >
        > My WSPR setup is as follows:
        >
        > PC : Windows 7 (32bit)
        > RXTX : Softrock Ensemble RXTX (40m, 30m & 20m)
        > Soundcard : Delta 44 with KB9YIG's Interface board.
        > Software : WSPR 2.1
        >
        > I have the TX fraction set at 20 on the slider control and even though the software looks as if the radio is transmitting I get no
        > RF detected on my RF power meter. But with other SDR software when used on SSB I get a good clean 1w of RF out of the radio. >>

        Colin

        I do not understand this bit

        >>The problem only seems to be when using WSPR when it uses the Line In jack as opposed to the MIC In which is used on SSB.

        WSPR uses no Line In. Well, just the Line in for RX.
        Line out sends the IQ to the Softrock.
        Is the Softrock going to TX mode? USB CAT for PTT?

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • jejesson
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 20, 2013

            Are you sync'ing time to the network clock?  WSPR transmit is fussy as far as being within a second or two... otherwise the errors are excessive.

           Joe Jesson KC2VGL

          > Help!!!
          >
          > I have been using my Softrock Ensemble RXTX successfully for over a year
          > and have made many contacts on SSB using PowerSDR. However over the last
          > few days I've been trying to get it working on WSPR using WSPR 2.1. I'm
          > receiving and decoding really well, but for some reason my Softrock
          > Ensemble RXTX doesn't want to transmit any RF even though the WSPR
          > software displays the yellow TX box on the bottom right of the screen.
          >
          > The problem is as if there is no PC generated audio coming out of the
          > Delta 44 into the Softrock Ensemble RXTX.
          >
          > My WSPR setup is as follows:
          >
          > PC : Windows 7 (32bit)
          > RXTX : Softrock Ensemble RXTX (40m, 30m & 20m)
          > Soundcard : Delta 44 with KB9YIG's Interface board.
          > Software : WSPR 2.1
          >
          > I have the TX fraction set at 20 on the slider control and even though the
          > software looks as if the radio is transmitting I get no RF detected on my
          > RF power meter. But with other SDR software when used on SSB I get a good
          > clean 1w of RF out of the radio. The problem only seems to be when using
          > WSPR when it uses the Line In jack as opposed to the MIC In which is used
          > on SSB.
          >
          > I must be missing something obvious, but can't seem to put my finger on
          > what the problem is.
          >
          > Any help greatly appreciated.
          >

          > 73 de Colin G1IVG

        • G1IVG
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 20, 2013
            Hi Joe,

            Yes I use Dimension 4 v5.3 to sync the PC clock. The WSPR 2.1 software goes into TX (Yellow TX box on bottom right of screen) but no RF is transmitted. However the RXTX Ensemble works fine on SSB.

            Regards
            Colin

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, jjesson@... wrote:

            >   Are you sync'ing time to the network clock?  WSPR
            > transmit is fussy as far as being within a second or two... otherwise the
            > errors are excessive.
            >
            >  Joe Jesson KC2VGL
            >

            > Help!!!
            > >
            > > I have been using my Softrock Ensemble RXTX
            > successfully for over a year
            > > and have made many contacts on SSB
            > using PowerSDR. However over the last
            > > few days I've been trying
            > to get it working on WSPR using WSPR 2.1. I'm
            > > receiving and
            > decoding really well, but for some reason my Softrock
            > > Ensemble
            > RXTX doesn't want to transmit any RF even though the WSPR
            > >
            > software displays the yellow TX box on the bottom right of the screen.
            > >
            > > The problem is as if there is no PC generated audio
            > coming out of the
            > > Delta 44 into the Softrock Ensemble RXTX.
            > >
            > > My WSPR setup is as follows:
            > >
            > > PC :
            > Windows 7 (32bit)
            > > RXTX : Softrock Ensemble RXTX (40m, 30m &
            > 20m)
            > > Soundcard : Delta 44 with KB9YIG's Interface board.
            > > Software : WSPR 2.1
            > >
            > > I have the TX fraction set
            > at 20 on the slider control and even though the
            > > software looks
            > as if the radio is transmitting I get no RF detected on my
            > > RF
            > power meter. But with other SDR software when used on SSB I get a good
            > > clean 1w of RF out of the radio. The problem only seems to be when
            > using
            > > WSPR when it uses the Line In jack as opposed to the MIC
            > In which is used
            > > on SSB.
            > >
            > > I must be missing
            > something obvious, but can't seem to put my finger on
            > > what the
            > problem is.
            > >
            > > Any help greatly appreciated.
            > >

            > > 73 de Colin G1IVG

          • John Williams
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 20, 2013
              Are you running direct I/Q version or using PSDR with VAC?

              John

              --

              John Williams

              KE5SSH - ham since 2007
              WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

            • G1IVG
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 20, 2013
                Alan,

                Sorry Alan, I meant the Line Out (it's been a long day!!!)

                My PC has the Delta 44 in it. I then use one of Tony's small Delta 44 Interface boards where I then connect my Softrock Ensemble RXTX to.

                The RX path works fine from the Softrock through to the interface and then into the Delta 44. I'm receiving and decoding WSPR with no problems.

                The TX path comes out of the Delta 44 and into Tony's Interface, then out of the Line Out connector on the interface and into the Softrock.

                I'm at work at the moment and will have another look later tonight and report back.

                It's as if the Softrock is keying the PTT but not sending any RF signal out. For example just the PTT is active with no audio if that makes sense.

                Regards
                Colin G1IVG.

                > Colin
                >
                > I do not understand this bit
                >
                > >>The problem only seems to be when using WSPR when it uses the Line In jack as opposed to the MIC In which is used on SSB.
                > >

                > WSPR uses no Line In. Well, just the Line in for RX.
                > Line out sends the IQ to the Softrock.
                > Is the Softrock going to TX mode? USB CAT for PTT?
                >
                > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

              • G1IVG
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 20, 2013
                  Yes, I have also set USB CAT for PTT

                  Regards
                  Colin G1IVG

                  > > Colin
                  > >
                  > > I do not understand this bit

                  > > WSPR uses no Line In. Well, just the Line in for RX.
                  > > Line out sends the IQ to the Softrock.
                  > > Is the Softrock going to TX mode? USB CAT for PTT?
                  > >
                  > > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                • John Williams
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 20, 2013
                    Are you frequency agile? I.E. are you able to receive on multiple bands. Can you put a meter on S12V and see if the transmitter is actually being set to xmit? Trying to determine if you have a CAT issue or an audio issue. My wspr uses direct I/Q, PTT using CAT and have the device set to Softrock 2509 in the Rig box, and audio in and out pointing to the line in/out of the card connected to the RXTX. on the Delta you have 4 ports, are you sure the right port is selected for audio out?

                    John

                    --

                    John Williams

                    KE5SSH - ham since 2007
                    WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

                  • warrenallgyer
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 20, 2013
                      Hi Colin

                      I find when I start WSPR I often must de-select then re-select the band that I desire, even if it is sitting on the proper band at startup. Similarly, I select both audio interfaces on the Station Parameters panel, even if they are indicating the proper ones at startup.

                      For some reason these settings do not seem to survive from previous sessions for me and I have just settled in this habit rather than investigating why.

                      Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "G1IVG" <g1ivg@...> wrote:

                      > Help!!!
                      >
                      > I have been using my Softrock Ensemble RXTX successfully for over a year and have made many contacts on SSB using PowerSDR. However over the last few days I've been trying to get it working on WSPR using WSPR 2.1. I'm receiving and decoding really well, but for some reason my Softrock Ensemble RXTX doesn't want to transmit any RF even though the WSPR software displays the yellow TX box on the bottom right of the screen.
                      >
                      > The problem is as if there is no PC generated audio coming out of the Delta 44 into the Softrock Ensemble RXTX.
                      >
                      > My WSPR setup is as follows:
                      >
                      > PC : Windows 7 (32bit)
                      > RXTX : Softrock Ensemble RXTX (40m, 30m & 20m)
                      > Soundcard : Delta 44 with KB9YIG's Interface board.
                      > Software : WSPR 2.1
                      >
                      > I have the TX fraction set at 20 on the slider control and even though the software looks as if the radio is transmitting I get no RF detected on my RF power meter. But with other SDR software when used on SSB I get a good clean 1w of RF out of the radio. The problem only seems to be when using WSPR when it uses the Line In jack as opposed to the MIC In which is used on SSB.
                      >
                      > I must be missing something obvious, but can't seem to put my finger on what the problem is.
                      >
                      > Any help greatly appreciated.
                      >
                      > 73 de Colin G1IVG

                    • KQ8M
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 20, 2013

                        Warren,

                        Unless you set the SI570 to default to the frequency you start WSPR on then it goes to the 570 default. WSPR Does not send the frequency to the ensemble on startup.

                        Tim Herrick, KQ8M

                        Charter Member North Coast Contesters

                        kq8m@...

                        AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 20, 2013
                          From: "warren

                          > I find when I start WSPR I often must de-select then re-select the band that I desire, even if it is sitting on the proper band at
                          > startup.

                          Yes, there are two ways of looking at this. Joe decided to leave it for the operator to set at startup.

                          The problem with Softrocks is that there is no frequency display and no easy way of telling if it has been set to TX unless a LED
                          has been fitted.

                          Colin, Have you checked whether there is audio going into the Softrock?

                          >Similarly, I select both audio interfaces on the Station Parameters panel, even if they are indicating the proper ones at startup.

                          The usual reason is that Windows re-numbers audio devices when USB ones are added or removed.

                          73 Alan G4ZFQ
                        • G1IVG
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 23, 2013
                            Hi John,

                            Following your message I went through the test point voltages to check the PTT and confirmed the radio was going into TX, however still with no audio or any detectable RF being transmitted out.

                            I then came out of my WSPR 2.1 software and ran rocky. I experimented with sending some CW and all appeared OK, good transmitted tones and 1w output. I then came out of Rocky and re-ran the WSPR 2.1 and for some reason it's now TXing with 1w on WSPR and I can't get it to fail....... Confused.......

                            I presume I must have had a bad connection on the audio cables etc. however I didn't unplug any cables or change any settings. All I did was ran Rocky and sent a bit of CW and then re-ran WSPR 2.1 and my Ensemble started transmitting correctly again. I left the radio running WSPR for a few hours and was spotted OK in Europe. So in the end it's working, but don't know why!!!!!!

                            Thanks for the help again

                            Regards
                            Colin G1IVG

                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 23, 2013
                              Warren,
                              I have to do the same.

                              I've got it working now, it looks like I had a bad connection on one of the audio cables. It was a strange fault and seemed to cure its self when I ran Rocky and then WSPR 2.1 again.

                              Regards
                              Colin G1IVG.

                              > Hi Colin
                              >
                              > I find when I start WSPR I often must de-select then re-select the band that I desire, even if it is sitting on the proper band at startup. Similarly, I select both audio interfaces on the Station Parameters panel, even if they are indicating the proper ones at startup.
                              >
                              > For some reason these settings do not seem to survive from previous sessions for me and I have just settled in this habit rather than investigating why.
                              >
                              > Warren Allgyer - W8TOD
                              >
                              > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "G1IVG" <g1ivg@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Help!!!
                              > >
                              > > I have been using my Softrock Ensemble RXTX successfully for over a year and have made many contacts on SSB using PowerSDR. However over the last few days I've been trying to get it working on WSPR using WSPR 2.1. I'm receiving and decoding really well, but for some reason my Softrock Ensemble RXTX doesn't want to transmit any RF even though the WSPR software displays the yellow TX box on the bottom right of the screen.
                              > >
                              > > The problem is as if there is no PC generated audio coming out of the Delta 44 into the Softrock Ensemble RXTX.
                              > >
                              > > My WSPR setup is as follows:
                              > >
                              > > PC : Windows 7 (32bit)
                              > > RXTX : Softrock Ensemble RXTX (40m, 30m & 20m)
                              > > Soundcard : Delta 44 with KB9YIG's Interface board.
                              > > Software : WSPR 2.1
                              > >
                              > > I have the TX fraction set at 20 on the slider control and even though the software looks as if the radio is transmitting I get no RF detected on my RF power meter. But with other SDR software when used on SSB I get a good clean 1w of RF out of the radio. The problem only seems to be when using WSPR when it uses the Line In jack as opposed to the MIC In which is used on SSB.
                              > >
                              > > I must be missing something obvious, but can't seem to put my finger on what the problem is.
                              > >
                              > > Any help greatly appreciated.
                              > >
                              > > 73 de Colin G1IVG

                            • G1IVG
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 23, 2013
                                Thanks for the tip Tim, I have also changed the default startup frequency now.

                                73 de Colin G1IVG

                                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "KQ8M" <kq8m@...> wrote:

                                > Warren,
                                >

                                > Unless you set the SI570 to default to the frequency you start WSPR on then it goes to the 570 default. WSPR Does not send the
                                > frequency to the ensemble on startup.
                                >

                                > Tim Herrick, KQ8M
                                >
                                > Charter Member North Coast Contesters
                                >
                                > kq8m@...
                                >

                                > AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org
                                >
                                > User Ports: 23, 7373 with local skimmer, 7374 without local skimmer

                              • G1IVG
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 23, 2013
                                  Alan,

                                  That must have been the problem. All test points suggested the PTT was working well. However with no RF output detected. I then used Rocky on CW for a bit and that worked fine, I then returned to WSPR 2.1 and for some reason the Ensemble started transmitting as it should. I must have disturbed a bad connection some how.

                                  Thanks for all the help you and others give on this group.

                                  Regards
                                  Colin G1IVG

                                  > From: "warren
                                  > Subject: [softrock40] Re: WSPR TX problem on Ensemble RXTX with Delta 44 ** Help **
                                  >

                                  > > I find when I start WSPR I often must de-select then re-select the band that I desire, even if it is sitting on the proper band at
                                  > > startup.
                                  >

                                  > Yes, there are two ways of looking at this. Joe decided to leave it for the operator to set at startup.
                                  >
                                  > The problem with Softrocks is that there is no frequency display and no easy way of telling if it has been set to TX unless a LED
                                  > has been fitted.
                                  >
                                  > Colin, Have you checked whether there is audio going into the Softrock?
                                  >
                                  > >Similarly, I select both audio interfaces on the Station Parameters panel, even if they are indicating the proper ones at startup.
                                  > >

                                  > The usual reason is that Windows re-numbers audio devices when USB ones are added or removed.
                                  >
                                  > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                                • Fred Moore
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 23, 2013
                                    Slightly off topic, but since we seem to have many WSPR ops here.  I notice a question on wsprnet.org some time ago and have not found the answer myself:

                                    <quote> I can't find a spot in the FCC rules that permits WSPR. Part 97.111(b) defines a list of permitted, short, one way transmissions. WSPR does not appear to fit the list because it is a list of "short" transmissions.
                                    Part 97.203 addresses beacons and permitted beacon frequencies. According to this paragraph, no beacons are permitted below 28.2 MHz.
                                    What an I missing and what loophole allows WSPR transmissions 24 hours per day?"
                                    </quote>

                                    I bring this up because I noticed that everyday the background on the water fall on .40 gets whiter and whiter from this type of 24 hour a day activity.  I am really wondering what the answer to this question is.   Not attacking anyone, just wonder about this activity?.. I also get concerned over the loss of a broad range of QRP frequencies, as many can't seem to get exactly on .40.  Can anyone enlighten me, off list is also okay if you don't want to clutter up the list..  fred@...
                                    Regards.. Fred

                                    --
                                    Fred Moore
                                    Ham Radio:  WD8KNI
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 23, 2013
                                      Hi Fred

                                      Picking a few nits here:

                                      1) All transmissions are one way.
                                      2) No WSPR is 24 hours a day. Even people who transmit at 100% (and almost no one does this) transmit on approximately 1:50 cycles with at least 8 seconds of rest. Most transmit at 20-30%, meaning 70-80% of the time the station is NOT transmitting.
                                      3) All valid WSPR transmissions are confined to a 200 Hz allocation by custom on each band. On 40 meters this is 7040000 to 7040200.
                                      4) WSPR users who cannot hit this allocation do not transmit for long because no one will spot them.
                                      5) No one is telling you not to transmit some other mode in this 200 Hz band. We would all appreciate it if you did not but that band is open to do what you wish.
                                      6) I don't think the loss of 200 Hz is significant to QRP operators who respect the custom. But that is my opinion.

                                      I think you may have a point on "unattended operation" but I don't think there is anything in the rules prohibiting WSPR type transmissions. And who among us does "unattended operation"?...... well.... uh..... OK, I don't want to go there.

                                      :-)

                                      Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 23, 2013

                                        > Slightly off topic, but since we seem to have many WSPR ops here. I notice
                                        > a question on wsprnet.org some time ago and have not found the answer
                                        > myself:

                                        Fred,

                                        I think WSPR is in a grey (gray) area for most amateur regulations. Personally I look at it as a "CQ" for a reply via the internet.
                                        That is not unusual nowadays with internet gateways. The word beacon should be avoided, at least by users of the mode!
                                        200Hz is not a lot, no-one will operate outside this range for long, there is no point they get no replies. And that 200Hz is
                                        occupied by a fair number of operators, I see over 70 on 20m at the moment. 80 on 30m.
                                        Yes, there is sometimes a shortage of space but I wonder what other mode has that sort of occupancy in 200Hz?

                                        .40? Where do you mean?

                                        73 Alan G4ZFQ

                                        > <quote> I can't find a spot in the FCC rules that permits WSPR. Part
                                        > 97.111(b) defines a list of permitted, short, one way transmissions. WSPR
                                        > does not appear to fit the list because it is a list of "short"
                                        > transmissions.
                                        > Part 97.203 addresses beacons and permitted beacon frequencies. According
                                        > to this paragraph, no beacons are permitted below 28.2 MHz.
                                        > What an I missing and what loophole allows WSPR transmissions 24 hours per
                                        > day?"
                                        > </quote>
                                        >
                                        > I bring this up because I noticed that everyday the background on the water
                                        > fall on .40 gets whiter and whiter from this type of 24 hour a day
                                        > activity. I am really wondering what the answer to this question is. Not
                                        > attacking anyone, just wonder about this activity?.. I also get concerned
                                        > over the loss of a broad range of QRP frequencies, as many can't seem to
                                        > get exactly on .40.
                                      • John Greusel
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 23, 2013
                                          Fred,

                                          I agree that WSPR is not permitted as a beacon below 10 meters in the US and when I use WSPR I try to not run my station without "operator control."  Even J-65 which is a true two way event invites users to walk away while transmitting because of the duration of time segments intrinsic to that mode. I would also say that the FCC has no authority outside the US and many WSPR users would be bound by differing rules. I've reminded several hams that running a "beacon" with WSPR on 20 or 40 meters is not permitted in the US. I've also found that some hams in the US don't know that beacons aren't allowed below 10 meters. WSPR has made a beacon like function available to many now and some misuse is to be expected. Where I disagree is that digital or QRP modes are seriously impacted by the great interest in WSPR- it's a pretty narrow portion and much of those slices are on bands that don't have much use.
                                          Have you tried WSPR? It's really a great study in propagation and low power levels. Everyone could learn something from it.

                                          73's
                                          John
                                          KC9OJV

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 23, 2013
                                            John, thanks for the reply, and yes I have been on WSPR and have used it to test propagation, and antennas. I have no objection to the mode or the technology, I actually use digital modes quite often here.

                                            I have several ham friends here that are heavily into that mode.  From listening to them, and monitoring the local 2 meter repeater they just let it run, every few days sometimes weeks, they check and see where there signals were heard, than have a top dog discussion.  I can absolutely assure you that among them and among most hams using this mode, that absolutely nothing is being done as a study, no correlation is being done with solar, or anything else.

                                            I also have monitored more than several hams on other forums discussing the equipment required to run QRO for this mode,  just to say that their signals are showing up when others are not. One recently was asking what the maximum current he could run on an 8877 for WSPR, he didn't even understand the duty cycle, intent, or use of the mode.  I queried why he would want to do that, his commented that I obviously don't understand "Top Gun", It seems like it is becoming more and more like a DX contest with some of these folks.

                                            One such station on the other side of Orlando was splattering all over the lower portion of 40 meters, about 50 miles from me last week.

                                            I full agree with you on FCC authority, and different rules.  I also agree with you and others that this is a narrow frequency mode, when used properly.

                                            As for QRP being impacted I can not agree, until recently multiple thousands of QRP radio's were rockbound and sold on 7.040.  These rockbound radios are most times almost unusable for QRP, especially QRP/DX.

                                            While testing antennas, equipment and propagation, and what ever you want to know are very valid reason to run WSPR, these guys are not playing nice.  If my small sample of this type of ham activity is confined to Orlando, I can't imagine how much when the scope is moved worldwide.  My concern is that it could grow like government, unchecked, and costly to the ham community.

                                            I have also come to the conclusion that I have no need to run this mode to determine propagation,  I just look at the maps and let the other 20 thousand people tell me what I need to know.

                                            Thanks for the informative discussion.. Regards..  Fred

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 23, 2013
                                              Fred,

                                              That's a good point for being protective of  7.040 for rock bound QRP activities. I would suggest that you could suggest an alternative spot to Joe and the WSPR community and it might have some effect. It's not such a large group that your voice wouldn't be heard.

                                              John
                                              KC9OJV

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 23, 2013
                                                Fred,

                                                I didn't address your other point about abuse. I think there are areas of the country (Florida being one) where good propagation, a large retirement community and a Amateur Radio demographic that has the means to operate high powered, "contest ready" stations may lead to a bit more of the excesses you mention than perhaps here in the middle of the country. I don't really know of any WSPR abusers in the Chicago area and I belong to a large club with many hams experimenting with it. That being said I think many or most Florida hams are the "best of breed"- but there is a lot of activity there.

                                                John
                                                KC9OJV

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Feb 23, 2013
                                                  Actually an excellent point about rockbound QRP operations. I have one of those myself. I would not mind moving the 40 meter WSPR a few KHz.

                                                  Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

                                                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Greusel <greusel@...> wrote:

                                                  > Fred,
                                                  >
                                                  > That's a good point for being protective of  7.040 for rock bound QRP activities. I would suggest that you could suggest an alternative spot to Joe and the WSPR community and it might have some effect. It's not such a large group that your voice wouldn't be heard.
                                                  >
                                                  > John
                                                  > KC9OJV

                                                • Jasmine Strong
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Feb 23, 2013

                                                    On a less antisocial note, I run WSPR but never transmit.  Since there are other people transmitting, you get to see all sorts of interesting places pop up, with no requirement to transmit;  you can correlate it quite nicely with aurora maps.

                                                    -J.