RXTX as the ionospheric research tool?

  • vbifyz
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18 11:06 AM
      I was intrigued by this:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_delayed_echo
      I have heard the long path echoes and around-the-world signals from nearby stations before, but nothing out of the ordinary. Yet it looks like there are some very interesting phenomena to study, and we now have affordable tools to do this.

      Because the round-the-world signals are naturally focused at the point of origin, I would expect them to be easily detectable with low power using SDR and DSP algorithms. All I need is software that transmits a signal, quickly switches to RX and listens to the echo. Because the signal is known and coherent, correlation method should be very sensitive. Maybe it is even possible to detect the Moon bounce?

      The question about the Softrock RXTX hardware is how quickly it can switch from TX to fully sensitive RX?

      73, Mike VE3YXA