Re: Softrock Dynamic Range and MDS Redux

  • g3vnc
    Message 1 of 39 , Feb 17, 2013

      > Apparently the ARRL found this a bit too subjective and for their purposes they said MDS equals the signal level required to double the power out of the speaker for a given bandwidth.
      >
      > A signal generator output that results in double the power at the speaker as compared to noise alone seems to display at about 20 dB above the visible noise floor in HDSDR.
      >
      > I tried with Rocky and I find it requires the approximately same signal levels as HDSDR to double the audio power at the speaker. Rocky however displays the resulting signal as a spike approximately 10 dB above the displayed noise floor.

      MDS is the input signal that produces a 3dB S+N/N ratio at the output in a given bandwidth.

      The narrower the bandwidth the better the MDS. Quoting MDS without a resolution bandwidth is meaningless.

      Using an SDR is similar to using a spectrum analyser...

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_analyzer

      In this context the resolution bandwidth is user definable in the SDR software e.g. 2.4kHz for SSB.

      But when you observe the spectrum display there is an additional filter after the envelope detector in the software.

      The visible SNR depends on the video bandwidth built into the software.

      From your results you could infer that for those particular settings the video bandwidth of Rocky is some 10x that of HDSDR.

      "Rocky ... requires the approximately same signal levels as HDSDR to double the audio power at the speaker".

      Good. So this measurement is independent of the video bandwidth.

      When measuring MDS ignore the spectrum display and use a true RMS meter at the output.

      Linrad and PowerSDR (and possibly others) have a true RMS signal level meter built in which simplifies MDS measurement.

      HTH

      Nick G3VNC
    • warrenallgyer
      Message 39 of 39 , Mar 27, 2013
        Good thought Victor.

        Crosstalk between the generators is a good possibility since they are on the same Silicon Labs 5338 EVB. So, of course, I set up a test.

        Generator A was set for 7.050 and Gen B for 7.055 and both fed through the hybrid, then through a total of 31 dB of fixed/variable pad to the Softrocks.

        Alternately disconnecting Gen A and B I measured B= -26 dBm and A= -25 dBm. With A disconnected I measured -116 dBm on 7.050 and with B disconnected I measured -98 dBm on 7.055. So A crosstalks into B at -90 dB and B into A at -72 dB. Not great but at least I know what I have.

        I do not have a second variable attenuator so I put fixed 20 dB pads on the output of both generators and reduced the variable/fixed combo after the hybrid to 11 dB. The readings were identical. So the crosstalk is on the board and not in the hybrid.

        I also checked the IMD3 products at 7.045 and 7.060. The levels were very comparable in both cases, down about 70 dB from the main signals. In both cases the IMD3 products stepped linearly with the main signals until I reached an input level of -25 dBm which is the op amp overload point and they skyrocketed.

        What does this prove? Maybe something, maybe not. It is possible the IMD3 products generated by the onboard crosstalk are so high they mask the true IMD3 generated in the radio.

        In order for that to happen the "real" IMD3 product would have to be at -96 dBm or less when the main signal is at -26. If it is at -96 and hidden then that would make the intercept point at +44 dBm, an almost unheard-of number. But not impossible.

        Somewhere in these posts there is a reference to tests done on the FST3253 mixer that quoted test numbers in this range.

        My bottom line on this is that the IMD3 performance of the Softrocks receiver, at least prior to the op amps, is so good that it is irrelevant.... or that the third order intercept test itself is irrelevant for this breed of receiver, as is maintained by the ARRL handbook.

        As usual, probably a lot more information than anyone really wants to know. But you gave me a real fun morning Victor!

        Warren Allgyer - W8TOD