Mind-meld between FT-1000MP and Softrock RX-II possible?

  • john_zl1azs
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 17, 2013
      Hi all,

      I'm thinking of some sort of bandscope that will show activity for one band at a time, perhaps in synch with the FT-1000MP.

      I have a working RXII/computer setup.

      Would this be hard, midling or easy to do and what would I need to read/do to get me started?

      Thank you!

      73 - John - ZL1AZS
    • Chris Wilson
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 17, 2013

        > Hi all,

        > I'm thinking of some sort of bandscope that will show activity for
        > one band at a time, perhaps in synch with the FT-1000MP.

        > I have a working RXII/computer setup.

        > Would this be hard, midling or easy to do and what would I need to read/do to get me started?

        > Thank you!

        > 73 - John - ZL1AZS

        17/02/2013 11:20

        I used the IF output on my old Yaesu FT-902DM to look at a small aprt
        of the band. But as there was no way to make them track one another it
        soon became pretty frustrating. If you can find software that talks to
        the FT-1000 and allow tracking it will be 1000% more useful. Just my
        take.

        I have a Softrock tracking my Kenwood TS-590 and I could never buy
        another modern rig that didn't allow this.

        So if the FT-1000 allows some form of external frequency control, I
        reckon it's very worthwhile.

        EDIT:

        http://www.iw3aut.altervista.org/files/Panadapte_for_FT1000mp_and_HRD.pdf

        I don't like HRD, it is, in my opinion, buggy and baggy, but I think a
        bare bones Omni Rig to FT-1000 to HDSDR will work fine.

        Good luck John!

        --
        Best Regards,
        Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 17, 2013
          On 17/02/13 11:27, Chris Wilson wrote:

          > I used the IF output on my old Yaesu FT-902DM to look at a small aprt
          > of the band. But as there was no way to make them track one another it
          > soon became pretty frustrating. If you can find software that talks to
          > the FT-1000 and allow tracking it will be 1000% more useful. Just my
          > take.

          What do you mean "track one another"? If you centre up the Softrock on
          the IF of the "source" radio, then as you tune you will see stuff on
          either side of your centre spot. You shouldn't need to adjust anything
          on the Softrock once it's running, because the IF shouldn't move.

          --
          Gordonjcp MM0YEQ
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 17, 2013
            Subject: [softrock40] Mind-meld between FT-1000MP and Softrock RX-II possible?

            > I'm thinking of some sort of bandscope that will show activity for one band at a time, perhaps in synch with the FT-1000MP.
            >
            > I have a working RXII/computer setup.

            John,

            Probably the best would be to use an IF Softrock.

            But Omni Rig lists the 1000MP so something like HDSDR may be linked to it and your RXII like
            https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/installing-and-using-hdsdr near the bottom.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • Chris Wilson
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 17, 2013
              > What do you mean "track one another"? If you centre up the Softrock on
              > the IF of the "source" radio, then as you tune you will see stuff on
              > either side of your centre spot. You shouldn't need to adjust anything
              > on the Softrock once it's running, because the IF shouldn't move.

              17/02/2013 13:36

              I mean when you see an interesting signal on the SDR bandscope you
              click on it and the FT-1000 is ready to transmit, or operate as the
              main receiver on that spot frequency. This is by using the SDR as a
              second (or third, if the FT-1000 already has a second receiver, I am
              not familiar with it), rather than using it to read the IF frequency
              from the FT-1000. Sharing an antenna with my TS-590 I have yet to hear
              a signal on the 590 that my Softrock isn't displaying on the
              bandscope. The Softrock might not resolve it audibly quite as well as
              the 590, but you can see a signal is there visually.

              --
              Best Regards,
              Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 17, 2013
                John,
                I am running the Ensemble II Receiver connected to my FT-1000MP Mk V with HDSDR and Omnirig software and it works fine. Connect the SDR antenna input to the RX IN and RX OUT antenna ports on the FT-1000 using a tee connector. Download HDSDR and all drivers. Download Omnirig. Run HDSDR and configure the FT-1000MP for Omnirig from the options contained in HDSDR. Select RX antenna on the FT-1000MP and you'll have both radios connected to the same antenna (A or B). Set the tracking for Omnirig TO and FROM the FT-1000MP and your up and running. When you transmit the SDR antenna input will be shunted to ground by the receive antenna input/output of the FT-1000. Works great. It gives the FT-1000MP new life. Now you can see what is happening on the radio. I listen to the FT-1000MP and tune using the SDR.

                Pete K1OYQ