...worries about Windows 8

  • dukeofbecker
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 14, 2013
      Hi to all. I am a longtime SWL, and new to this group.

      I've just ordered a built Soft Rock RX Ensemble II HF receiver from fivedash.com.

      I will have to purchase a new computer and wondering what operating system to order (Windows 7 or 8).

      I have already searched the long,long list of messages here for Windows 8 problems, and although some have had problems installing needed drivers, it appears that with proper intervention the Ensemble II RX will work OK with Windows 8.

      I have already downloaded the "Software Installation Instructions" from fivedash.com website, and they appear to be excellent and clearly written, but for Windows 7.

      My question: will a built unit from fivedash.com install OK on a Windows 8 computer?... I am concerned that the driver install process will hit a wall and I will not know how to proceed.

      Please forgive if I have repeated questions posted earlier. The threads are long and I could not find a short answer.

      Please advise,

      Carl KC2PQG
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 14, 2013
        Subject: [softrock40] ...worries about Windows 8

        > I've just ordered a built Soft Rock RX Ensemble II HF receiver from fivedash.com.
        > I will have to purchase a new computer and wondering what operating system to order (Windows 7 or 8).
        >
        > I have already searched the long,long list of messages here for Windows 8 problems, and although some have had problems installing
        > needed drivers, it appears that with proper intervention the Ensemble II RX will work OK with Windows 8.
        >
        > I have already downloaded the "Software Installation Instructions" from fivedash.com website, and they appear to be excellent and
        > clearly written, but for Windows 7.

        Carl,

        In fact these instructions may already be out of date.
        http://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/attiny_usb has a link to a new driver installation file that hopefully will remove the need
        for any user intervention. This was posted here by Fred a few weeks ago.

        As far as Windows 8 I have no experience but it seems it is much the same as Windows 7 once you have dismissed the touch-screen
        elements (If you want to).

        I've also a few pages here intended for absolute beginners. http://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Tom Hoflich
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 14, 2013
          On Windows 8, I just installed HDSDR and my RXTX works perfectly.
          No issues. I am receive only at the moment.
          The URL that Alan included below will make it easy.

          73, Tom KM5H