Softrock Ensemble RXTX Parts Question

  • Mike Saeger
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2013
      According to the WB5RVZ website -- Revisions 1/31/2013 C24 and C26 should be 180pf instead of 150pf, but the RF/Switching parts list still shows 150pf. He comments that he uploaded the new parts to the documentation so I'm a bit confused.

      Am I supposed to go out and purchase a couple of 180pf capacitors? Also, I can't find the 180pf C27 capacitor in my kit. I looked at every capacitor under a magnifying glass. Is it possible it is marked in some weird way?

      I do have one cap that looks like it is marked 821J and another two marked 82J (that's what it looks like to me). Perhaps I need to go buy 3 180pf capacitors?

      My circuit board is labeled: 5/24/10.

      N9MS
    • Mike Saeger
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 13, 2013
        Never mind, I'm building the 30/20/17 and the revision is for the one covering 40m.

        I'm still wondering about the missing 180pf capacitor. How else could it be marked?

        Maybe the 821J and 82J capacitors will make sense as I go further into the building of the radio.

        N9MS
      • Mike Saeger
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 13, 2013
          After taking some close-up photos of some suspect capacitors I found my
          missing 180pf capacitor. I had labeled it 110pf but upon close-up exam
          from my camera it was 180pf. I guess I need a stronger magnifying glass!
        • Parks, Tony
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 14, 2013
            Hi Mike,

            The capacitor marked 181J is 180pF where for the 40m/30m/20m build of the kit C24 and C26 should be 180pF.  The two capacitors marked 82J are 82pF capacitors use when the kit is built for 30m/20m/17m operation.

            Please send me your mailing address and I will send you one 180pF capacitor.

            Hope the kit build goes well for you.

            73,
            Tony KB9YIG

            On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:11 PM, Mike Saeger <mike.saeger@...> wrote:

            According to the WB5RVZ website -- Revisions 1/31/2013 C24 and C26 should be 180pf instead of 150pf, but the RF/Switching parts list still shows 150pf. He comments that he uploaded the new parts to the documentation so I'm a bit confused.

            Am I supposed to go out and purchase a couple of 180pf capacitors? Also, I can't find the 180pf C27 capacitor in my kit. I looked at every capacitor under a magnifying glass. Is it possible it is marked in some weird way?

            I do have one cap that looks like it is marked 821J and another two marked 82J (that's what it looks like to me). Perhaps I need to go buy 3 180pf capacitors?

            My circuit board is labeled: 5/24/10.

            N9MS

          • R. R. (Robby) Robson
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 14, 2013
              Mike:

              You are not the first to get bit by the poor quality markings on these caps.  That 8 can look awfully like a 1, as in this picture from the bill of materials:

              --
              Cheers,
              Robby

              Richard R. (Robby) Robson