Re: USB sound card dongle with stereo INPUT

  • victor
    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 11, 2013
      Warren, a 16 bit card would have a theoretical dynamic range of 96dB and in practice even less (~90dB would be a good number). In your example you talk about -12 -(-125)= 113dB. You just can't get it with a 16 bit card.
      Victor - 4Z4ME

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "warrenallgyer" wrote:

      > What you say Shirley is absolutely correct. IF you could reduce the input gain of the radio to the point where the atmospheric noise was only a dB or so above the card noise, then this would maximize the dynamic range of the radio and allow reception in the presence of very strong signals.
      >
      > There are two practical issues with this which I explored in an earlier thread on the subject:
      >
      > 1) Even by reducing the Windows audio input gain to its' lowest possible level you cannot reduce the received atmospheric noise to the internal noise level of a 16 bit card, let alone a 24 bit card.
      >
      > So
      >
      > 2) To accomplish what you suggest you would need to resort to external attenuators for your radio. External attenuators for an RXTX are problematic because you would want to switch them out of the circuit on transmit.
      >
      > In my earlier thread I strongly recommended that input audio gains be reduced to minimum and that by doing so you could raise the received RF level at which most PC audio cards go into overload to about -12 dBm..... which is 61 dB over S9 on a properly calibrated meter. Even at this setting however my 16 bit card exhibits an internal noise floor at -125 dBm with the atmospheric noise floor at -115. So moving to 24 bits is a complete waste of money, even for strong signal handling, in my case. I suspect this would be the case in most installations.
      >
      > Warren Allgyer - W8TOD
      >

      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Shirley Márquez Dúlcey wrote:
      > >
      > > With proper gain distribution the lower noise floor of a good sound card
      > > will improve the total dynamic range of your Softrock and thus STRONG
      > > signal handling will be better. The ideal arrangement to maximize dynamic
      > > range is for the band noise floor to be just barely above the noise floor
      > > of the sound card; this can be achieved by adjusting the input gain of the
      > > sound interface (if such a control is available) and/or using attenuation
      > > between the Softrock and the sound card.
      > >
      > > A really low noise floor will also help if you are using an inefficient
      > > receive antenna such as a Beverage.

    • warrenallgyer
      Message 35 of 35 , Feb 12, 2013
        Alan

        I am on the road until Saturday and cannot do any more testing until then. I have taken the opportunity on the planes to read up on the definition of noise floor. The methodology in the ARRL handbook requires measuring the RMS value of the noise at the speaker terminals of the receiver as a reference. Then a signal generator is tuned to the receive frequency and the signal attenuated until the measured audio power is exactly 3 dB above the reference level. This is the "noise floor" and the MDS by the ARRL definition.

        I suspect the HDSDR baseline noise floor may turn out to be the same but I want to confirm that when I return.

        Note this measurement is highly dependent upon the filter bandwidth selected, as is the HDSDR baseline noise. I have tried to stay with a filter bandwidth of 2.5 KHz because that is the reference used by Joe Taylor for his SNR measurements.

        I further suspect, in the WSPR example for instance, a measured SNR of "-20 dB" may well be measured on a signal that is visible above the HDSDR baseline because it would take significant power in a single frequency spike to double the noise power in 2.5 KHz..... but again, all I can do is speculate until I get back on the ground.

        Finally, I have observed that I cannot attenuate the signal generator completely at -130 dB and I have always put this down to signal generator leakage. Now, with Victor's input, I am wondering if this is indeed leakage or if it is LSB quantization error.

        So many things to learn..... and so little time. This is really starting to impinge on my night life! :-)

        Warren Allgyer - W8TOD