Re: [softrock40] PA transistor, power increase?

  • John Williams
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8 2:02 PM
      Brett,

      John - ke5ssh
      On 2/8/2013 1:46 PM, brettwi2012 wrote:

      I have a RXTX ensemble and want to add a final amplifier to raise the output to 100 watts. To drive the amp I am looking at, the CCI EB63A kit, I need between 2 and 5 watts input. Has anyone experimented with changing the PA transistor on the RXTX to increase output slightly? Thanks for any possible info!
      -Brett WA6SXU

      --

      John Williams

      KE5SSH - ham since 2007
      WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

    • yl2gqn
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 8 3:51 PM
        Hi Brett,

        I built a simple broadband PA on two low cost IRF510 mosfets to drive more solid PA. Schematic based on WA2EBY PA. With 12V PS you can easy get 5-7 W out.

        Regards,
        Andy. YL2QN

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "brettwi2012" wrote:

        > I have a RXTX ensemble and want to add a final amplifier to raise the output to 100 watts. To drive the amp I am looking at, the CCI EB63A kit, I need between 2 and 5 watts input. Has anyone experimented with changing the PA transistor on the RXTX to increase output slightly? Thanks for any possible info!
        > -Brett WA6SXU

      • brettwi2012
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 9 10:32 AM
          Yes, I noticed that post, and have been anxiously awaiting the details.
          -Brett Williams WA6SXU

          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/message/71764

          > John - ke5ssh
          > On 2/8/2013 1:46 PM, brettwi2012 wrote:
          > >
          > > I have a RXTX ensemble and want to add a final amplifier to raise
          the
          > > output to 100 watts. To drive the amp I am looking at, the CCI EB63A
          > > kit, I need between 2 and 5 watts input. Has anyone experimented
          with
          > > changing the PA transistor on the RXTX to increase output slightly?
          > > Thanks for any possible info!
          > > -Brett WA6SXU
          > >

          > --
          >
          > John Williams
          >
          > KE5SSH - ham since 2007
          > WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

        • yo9irf
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 11 2:26 AM
            I found those useless in broadband amplifiers because of the gain, wich has a HUGE variation from 1.8 to 30MHz. A pair of RD16HHF1 is less than US$10 and is much more linear, rugged and powerful, they will put out 20W with 1W drive in simple circuits, wich are very well documented all over the web.

            IRF510 can be used in tuned monoband circuits even up to 50MHz, if you are a bit careful with the very sensitive gate.