Re: USB sound card dongle with stereo INPUT

  • kenahardy
    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 8, 2013
      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "g_fletcher_2003" wrote:

      > Dear All (but particularly those in UK)
      > Does anyone know of a "USB sound card dongle" with stereo input?
      > Ideally, at a sensible price!
      >
      > I can find lots of USB sound card dongles with a mono input - they work well for using "SKYPE"!
      >
      > Thank you for your help in anticipation.
      > Best wishes
      > Graham G7TEG

      Graham
      Found your message whlst searching on the forum - but have not an answer to your query.
      I am also looking for a line in/line out sound dongle as
      I want to tidy up the rats nest of cables I have here.
      Did you have any luck in your own search for a dongle?

      best regards
      ken M0XBK
    • warrenallgyer
      Message 35 of 35 , Feb 12, 2013
        Alan

        I am on the road until Saturday and cannot do any more testing until then. I have taken the opportunity on the planes to read up on the definition of noise floor. The methodology in the ARRL handbook requires measuring the RMS value of the noise at the speaker terminals of the receiver as a reference. Then a signal generator is tuned to the receive frequency and the signal attenuated until the measured audio power is exactly 3 dB above the reference level. This is the "noise floor" and the MDS by the ARRL definition.

        I suspect the HDSDR baseline noise floor may turn out to be the same but I want to confirm that when I return.

        Note this measurement is highly dependent upon the filter bandwidth selected, as is the HDSDR baseline noise. I have tried to stay with a filter bandwidth of 2.5 KHz because that is the reference used by Joe Taylor for his SNR measurements.

        I further suspect, in the WSPR example for instance, a measured SNR of "-20 dB" may well be measured on a signal that is visible above the HDSDR baseline because it would take significant power in a single frequency spike to double the noise power in 2.5 KHz..... but again, all I can do is speculate until I get back on the ground.

        Finally, I have observed that I cannot attenuate the signal generator completely at -130 dB and I have always put this down to signal generator leakage. Now, with Victor's input, I am wondering if this is indeed leakage or if it is LSB quantization error.

        So many things to learn..... and so little time. This is really starting to impinge on my night life! :-)

        Warren Allgyer - W8TOD