Another RXTX Ensemble TX issue. Mute right in iqout kills all output

  • Chris Wilson
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 8 2:50 AM
      08/02/2013 10:39

      Whilst I am making progress with fixing up an RXTX Ensemble I have hit
      upon another issue. I now have full RF output on TX, but audio out,
      when the microphone was used in SSB mode, was uselessly distorted.
      Going back to basics I used the iqout software to input a tone, rather
      than using the microphone. If I watch the signal on a scope at the
      hairpin of R30 or R31 and use the "mute right" box in iqout, the
      signal disappears completely. If I use the "mute left" box no change
      occurs. Am I right in thinking both boxes should affect the signal?
      Can someone explain why this might be occurring, and if it would
      explain the distorted low audio from a microphone?

      Thanks.

      Traces at http://www.chriswilson.tv/testing3.zip

      --
      Best Regards,
      Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 8 3:33 AM
        Subject: [softrock40] Another RXTX Ensemble TX issue. Mute right in iqout kills all output

        >I now have full RF output on TX, but audio out,
        > when the microphone was used in SSB mode, was uselessly distorted.
        > Going back to basics I used the iqout software to input a tone, rather
        > than using the microphone. If I watch the signal on a scope at the
        > hairpin of R30 or R31 and use the "mute right" box in iqout, the
        > signal disappears completely. If I use the "mute left" box no change
        > occurs. Am I right in thinking both boxes should affect the signal?

        I do not think this is correct. If I remember correctly the power just drops to1/2 because one channel is missing.
        So you need to check, possibly the connections or opamps before the mixer.

        As far as the distortion, you are monitoring on a receiver? Correct sideband?

        > Traces at http://www.chriswilson.tv/testing3.zip
        Nice pictures if someone knows what they mean, I don't.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Chris Wilson
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 8 5:25 AM
          > Subject: [softrock40] Another RXTX Ensemble TX issue. Mute right in iqout kills all output

          >>I now have full RF output on TX, but audio out,
          >> when the microphone was used in SSB mode, was uselessly distorted.
          >> Going back to basics I used the iqout software to input a tone, rather
          >> than using the microphone. If I watch the signal on a scope at the
          >> hairpin of R30 or R31 and use the "mute right" box in iqout, the
          >> signal disappears completely. If I use the "mute left" box no change
          >> occurs. Am I right in thinking both boxes should affect the signal?
          >>

          > I do not think this is correct. If I remember correctly the power
          > just drops to1/2 because one channel is missing.
          > So you need to check, possibly the connections or opamps before the mixer.

          > As far as the distortion, you are monitoring on a receiver? Correct sideband?

          >> Traces at http://www.chriswilson.tv/testing3.zip
          > Nice pictures if someone knows what they mean, I don't.

          > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

          08/02/2013 13:21

          It has turned out to be a fault with the M-Audio Delta 44 sound card.
          Even direct into speakers there's a channel missing when fed with
          iqout. Using the on board sound card all is well, and killing left or
          right has the expected effects. The scope also now shows clean signals
          (nice pictures ;)). Whether it's the card itself, or the breakout box,
          I don't know. Looks like I am in the market for a new sound card....

          Thanks Alan, have a good weekend.

          --
          Best Regards,
          Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 8 7:43 AM
            Good detective work on your part Chris!

            John
            KC9OJV

            >>I now have full RF output on TX, but audio out,
            >> when the microphone was used in SSB mode, was uselessly distorted.
            >> Going back to basics I used the iqout software to input a tone, rather
            >> than using the microphone. If I watch the signal on a scope at the
            >> hairpin of R30 or R31 and use the "mute right" box in iqout, the
            >> signal disappears completely. If I use the "mute left" box no change
            >> occurs. Am I right in thinking both boxes should affect the signal?
            >>

            > I do not think this is correct. If I remember correctly the power
            > just drops to1/2 because one channel is missing.
            > So you need to check, possibly the connections or opamps before the mixer.

            > As far as the
            distortion, you are monitoring on a receiver? Correct sideband?

            >> Traces at http://www.chriswilson.tv/testing3.zip
            > Nice pictures if someone knows what they mean, I don't.

            > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

            08/02/2013 13:21

            It has turned out to be a fault with the M-Audio Delta 44 sound card.
            Even direct into speakers there's a channel missing when fed with
            iqout. Using the on board sound card all is well, and killing left or
            right has the expected effects. The scope also now shows clean signals
            (nice pictures ;)). Whether it's the card itself, or the breakout box,
            I don't know. Looks like I am in the market for a new sound card....

            Thanks Alan, have a good weekend.

            --
                  Best Regards,
                              Chris Wilson.  2E0ILY

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com
                softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Chris Wilson
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 8 9:53 AM

              > Good detective work on your part Chris!

              > John
              > KC9OJV

              08/02/2013 17:39

              Thanks, but not really John, to be honest luck had a big part, but
              when I looked back at the scope patterns I felt they didn't look
              right. Now the other sound card is sending transmit data to the
              Softrock the patterns are normal sine type waves, not "blurry". If I
              use "iqout" on the inbuilt card I can kill left and right channels and
              the pattern goes blurry, as it was all the time with the Delta 44.
              What I still don't understand is the Delta 44 card outputs normal
              speech and music into both speakers, and never made me feel there was
              anything up with it at all until I used both sections for the Softrock
              RXTX. I would like to understand why this is. Could it be an HDSDR
              issue??

              I have what I hope is a final problem. If I use "iqout" software to
              drive the Softrock TX the output signal level at the antenna socket is
              unwavering. But if I transmit steady FM or a CW tone, from HDSR the
              watt meter jumps, (a lot...), about every two seconds. Whether this is
              apparent on air, or using SSB I don't know. I'll try and raise a pal
              over the weekend who lives locally, and ask him t monitor an SSB
              transmission, I have failed to raise anyone on SSB on 20 meters this
              afternoon, which is frustrating. maybe the fix is still not complete.
              I even tried feeding the RXTX into a Collins linear (old and new
              technology :)) to get about ten watts, but no takers. I am using a
              filter bank, and the signal looked clean on my Ensemble RX on another
              computer and bit of wire.

              I nothing else I understand the RXTX a hell of a lot more now, than if
              it had just "worked" and have learnt quite a lot, which is good!

              I might upload the scope shots to the photo section, in case it ever
              helps anyone else with a similar sound card issue. I have to assume
              the Delta 44 is faulty, I can't think what else would cause this. The
              set up window for the Delta 44 is far from intuitive though, so I may
              have missed something.

              --
              Best Regards,
              Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 9 4:06 PM
                > 08/02/2013 10:39

                > Whilst I am making progress with fixing up an RXTX Ensemble I have hit
                > upon another issue. I now have full RF output on TX, but audio out,
                > when the microphone was used in SSB mode, was uselessly distorted.
                > Going back to basics I used the iqout software to input a tone, rather
                > than using the microphone. If I watch the signal on a scope at the
                > hairpin of R30 or R31 and use the "mute right" box in iqout, the
                > signal disappears completely. If I use the "mute left" box no change
                > occurs. Am I right in thinking both boxes should affect the signal?
                > Can someone explain why this might be occurring, and if it would
                > explain the distorted low audio from a microphone?

                > Thanks.

                > Traces at http://www.chriswilson.tv/testing3.zip

                10/02/2013 00:03

                For future reference the issue was a damaged cable to the Delta 44
                break out box. The connectors are moulded on, and the break is inside
                the strain relief of the connector. I suspect in a previous life it
                had been in a situation where the cable was waggled a lot. I bought
                the card, cable and box used. Rather than try and put a new connector
                on the existing cable, which seems well screened and bespoke, I have
                found a new cable in the US, with a new breakout box. The postage is
                more than the (£6) asking price for the new cable and box, but it will
                save a lot of hassle.

                --
                Best Regards,
                Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 9 6:50 PM
                  Chris,

                  Tony has an interface card for the Delta 44 that eliminated the external board and supplies mini plugs instead of the 1/4" ones.
                  I think it may still be available.

                  John
                  KC9OJV