Re: WSPR, Softrock RXTX, snd Raspberry Pi

  • vbifyz
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 5 12:17 PM
      When you install WSPR according to Dave's instructions, a copy of hamlib is installed in the process. WSPR uses the hamlib to control the Softrock. The only issue is that the USB permissions have to be changed. Quick googling will show you how to do that.
      After fixing the permissions, WSPR controls the Softrock frequency just fine. I also used "rigctl -m 2509 F <frequency>" command in a terminal window to control Si570.

      73, Mike

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "va3dxz" wrote:

      > Just wondering if anyone been able to use WSPR, running on a Raspberry PI, to control the Softrock Ensemble TX/RX?
      >
      > I was able to get WSPR compiled and running on the PI using the G4FRE's Jan 28th instructions found at http://g4fre.blogspot.ca/2013/01/wspr-on-rpilapdock-under-raspian.html
      >
      > However, the WSPR CAT function is not able to communicate with the Softrock via the USB. It would seem that I need a version of the PEOFKO USB-Driver compatible with the PI to control the ensemble rx/tx Si570. I have no idea how to compile this driver for the PI but I can follow instructions.
      >
      > If anyone has this working, please let me know.
      >
      > My set up is as follows:
      > 2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian loaded on 32G SD card
      > Pi overclocked at 1Ghz
      > SignaLink USB attached to PI for Audio In
      >
      > Also, I have WSPR running under XP using WSPR's I/Q functionality with full CAT control of the softrock and this works very well.
      >

      > 73,
      > Chris VA3DXZ
      >
      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "vbifyz" <3ym3ym@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Your post finally made me to try it.
      > > I've compiled WSPR from source following Dave's instructions. He now has updated instructions in his blog.
      > > It is now working with Ensemble II RX on 40m, you can query the database with my call sign, VE3YXA.
      > > I haven't tried controlling the frequency yet. At the moment it is controlled by CFGSR running on another computer. I need to connect a USB hub to try.
      > > My Pi is overclocked to 1GHz. CPU usage is about 20% when receiving, the decoding takes about 20sec. The soundcard is SD-AUD20101.
      > > I have an RXTX as well, trying the TX will be my next project.
      > >
      > > 73, Mike
      > >
      > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "William" wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I've searched google and found successful cases of WSPR being used on a Raspbery Pi(http://g4fre.blogspot.com/2012/11/wsjt-on-raspberry-pi.html)
      > > >
      > > > and I found successful cases of WSPR being used on a Softrock RXTX...ergo can it be done? Can you make a low power beacon station with a Raspberry Pi and a Softrock?
      > > >
      > > > Obviously have soundcard issues but can you use an external usb soundcard to achieve results?
      > > >
      > > > 73
      > > > Will
      > > > KB5USW

    • va3dxz
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 6 9:08 PM
        Thanks Mike. When I log into the pi, I start the gui with startx, then I open a terminal window, cd to wspr then ./wspr to start the application. The application starts up but can't talk to the softrock:

        rig_open: error = IO error
        Error attempting to set rig freq
        rigctl -m 2509 -r USD F 10126729

        So I looked at the permissions as you suggested. Each of the hamlib files were set to -rw-r--r--. I changed each to -rwxrwxrwx but same problem. After putting the permissions back to -rw-r--r--, I tried starting wspr using sudo ./wspr and it worked. I was able to tx and change frequency.

        However, after the 1st receive cycle, when the decode kicked in, the CPU was pegged at 100% and stayed there. When the next TX cycle came around, I would see

        error executing rigctl to set TX mode
        rigctl -m 2509 -r USB T 1

        In most cases I needed to reboot the PI to bring it back to life. I have the PI overclocked to 1Ghz and set this up using raspi-config. I double checked the clock speed using vcgencmd get_config arm_freq.

        Is anyone else seeing performance issues like this?

        Thanks and 73,

        Chris / VA3DXZ

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "vbifyz" <3ym3ym@...> wrote:

        > When you install WSPR according to Dave's instructions, a copy of hamlib is installed in the process. WSPR uses the hamlib to control the Softrock. The only issue is that the USB permissions have to be changed. Quick googling will show you how to do that.
        > After fixing the permissions, WSPR controls the Softrock frequency just fine. I also used "rigctl -m 2509 F " command in a terminal window to control Si570.
        >
        > 73, Mike
        >
        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "va3dxz" wrote:
        > >
        > > Just wondering if anyone been able to use WSPR, running on a Raspberry PI, to control the Softrock Ensemble TX/RX?
        > >
        > > I was able to get WSPR compiled and running on the PI using the G4FRE's Jan 28th instructions found at http://g4fre.blogspot.ca/2013/01/wspr-on-rpilapdock-under-raspian.html
        > >
        > > However, the WSPR CAT function is not able to communicate with the Softrock via the USB. It would seem that I need a version of the PEOFKO USB-Driver compatible with the PI to control the ensemble rx/tx Si570. I have no idea how to compile this driver for the PI but I can follow instructions.
        > >
        > > If anyone has this working, please let me know.
        > >
        > > My set up is as follows:
        > > 2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian loaded on 32G SD card
        > > Pi overclocked at 1Ghz
        > > SignaLink USB attached to PI for Audio In
        > >
        > > Also, I have WSPR running under XP using WSPR's I/Q functionality with full CAT control of the softrock and this works very well.
        > >

        > > 73,
        > > Chris VA3DXZ
        > >
        > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "vbifyz" <3ym3ym@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Your post finally made me to try it.
        > > > I've compiled WSPR from source following Dave's instructions. He now has updated instructions in his blog.
        > > > It is now working with Ensemble II RX on 40m, you can query the database with my call sign, VE3YXA.
        > > > I haven't tried controlling the frequency yet. At the moment it is controlled by CFGSR running on another computer. I need to connect a USB hub to try.
        > > > My Pi is overclocked to 1GHz. CPU usage is about 20% when receiving, the decoding takes about 20sec. The soundcard is SD-AUD20101.
        > > > I have an RXTX as well, trying the TX will be my next project.
        > > >
        > > > 73, Mike

      • vbifyz
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 7 8:38 AM
          It is not file permissions, but the USB access permissions that you need to change.
          Good step-by-step reading for beginners here:
          http://www.n8mdp.com/sdr_quisk.html

          I noticed that sometimes WSPR decoding phase takes a few seconds, and sometimes more than 2 minutes, so there is sometimes a message that the next decoding can not start (maybe 1 out of 20-50 cycles). But for me it always eventually finishes.