Re: [softrock40] IF exraction point TS120 Kenwood

  • Chris Wilson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013

      > Jack at Clifton Labs has a pre-amp designed for exactly this purpose...

      > Lee N4MVL

      31/01/2013 20:56

      Mine arrived very quickly from the US to here in England. I was unable
      to access the Clifton Labs web site, and issue Jack is aware of, but
      he sorted me via direct e-mail and I am building it soon. He was very
      helpful and replied within hours. Recommended company, a pleasure to
      deal with!

      --
      Best Regards,
      Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013
        Chris,

        How do you control the computer/transceiver lash-up? No CAT control, right?

        --

        John Williams

        KE5SSH - ham since 2007
        WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm
      • Chris Wilson
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013

          > Chris,

          > How do you control the computer/transceiver lash-up? No CAT control, right?

          > On 1/31/2013 2:58 PM, Chris Wilson wrote:
          >> Clifton Labs

          31/01/2013 21:53

          It's a bit of a nightmare as my TS-590 has Omni Rig controlling it
          from HDSDR running the Softrock RX Ensemble, right now. So both track
          on anaother. BUT, I also have logging software that tracks the TS-590.
          The software is ACLog, that is simple and works fine, but I have to
          connect the PC to the TS-590 via a serial cable, just for the logging
          software, as I see no way to make it share the USB connection from the
          590. The issue is there's a constant tocking noise when the logging
          software is on. It obviously polls the 590 all the time, and the
          Softrock picks this noise up. Not via the antenna, but down the other
          cables. It is extremely irritating, and it may be some sort of ground
          loop, I don't know. But other than that, it works fine. I manually
          switch the antenna from the Softrock to the TS-590 when I wish to
          transmit, or use the 590's receiver. This should be addressed by
          feeding the Softrock from the buffer amp I am building, within the
          590. I am using the instructions on Ian Wade's pages. It links to
          this:

          http://crystalradio.us/projects/ts-590s-panadaptor.htm

          Let us know how you get on please. Good luck!

          --
          Best Regards,
          Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013
            Subject: Re: [softrock40] IF exraction point TS120 Kenwood

            > The issue is there's a constant tocking noise when the logging
            > software is on. It obviously polls the 590 all the time, and the
            > Softrock picks this noise up. Not via the antenna, but down the other
            > cables. It is extremely irritating, and it may be some sort of ground
            > loop, I don't know.

            Chris,

            Yes possibly a ground loop.
            I suffered that with HRD some years back.
            The fundamental cause was the PCB design of my FT840.
            The grounds of the serial CAT port and the audio amp were common. Some butchery to the PCB isolated the grounds and cured the
            problem.

            But it sounds as if you will just need some external butchery to the ground connections. Only one ground required, but maybe not to
            easy to isolate if the possibility of ground loops was not considered when boxing up.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • John Williams
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013
              No, Chris, was asking specifically on the TS-120. No CAT there. I guess
              you get a nice panadapter but that is about it, right? I understand how
              you do this on a CAT enabled transceiver.

              John

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013

                > No, Chris, was asking specifically on the TS-120. No CAT there. I guess
                > you get a nice panadapter but that is about it, right? I understand how
                > you do this on a CAT enabled transceiver.

                > John
                > On 1/31/2013 4:00 PM, Chris Wilson wrote:
                >> It's a bit of a nightmare as my TS-590

                31/01/2013 22:33

                OK, sorry, I see now. Yes, I guess it works like the basic Softrock I
                used with my FT-902, no tracking. It quickly became a PITA to be
                honest.

                --
                Best Regards,
                Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013
                  > Chris,

                  > Yes possibly a ground loop.
                  > I suffered that with HRD some years back.
                  > The fundamental cause was the PCB design of my FT840.
                  > The grounds of the serial CAT port and the audio amp were common.
                  > Some butchery to the PCB isolated the grounds and cured the
                  > problem.

                  > But it sounds as if you will just need some external butchery to
                  > the ground connections. Only one ground required, but maybe not to
                  > easy to isolate if the possibility of ground loops was not considered when boxing up.

                  > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                  31/01/2013 22:35

                  Thanks for the info Alan. This posting made me realize just HOW
                  annoying it was, so I have had a fiddle. By connecting my TS-590
                  casing to the PC's casing with a heft lead the tock noise has gone,
                  plus I do believ my Softrock display is "cleaner" as well, with less
                  artifacts! A good result.

                  --
                  Best Regards,
                  Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013

                    . By connecting my TS-590
                    > casing to the PC's casing with a hefty lead the tock noise has gone,
                    > plus I do believ my Softrock display is "cleaner" as well, with less
                    > artifacts!

                    Chris,

                    Yes, there are two approaches to ground loops. (Ignoring transformers)
                    Either make sure there is only one ground on the audio between SDR and soundcard.
                    Or make all grounds really good, low resistance. This may be as effective as a cure. The fundamental problem is due to potential
                    differences between the grounds. Good grounding will reduce these differences.