Re: [softrock40] IF exraction point TS120 Kenwood

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013
      I Googled "IF extraction point from Kenwood TS120" and found the first link was
      http://alt.ham-radio.hf.narkive.com/Vpip6ji9/help-with-kenwood-ts-450-to-extract-if-to-feed-a-station-monitor-sm-220

      basic but gives an idea.

      Don't be put off by the TS450.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013
        Jack at Clifton Labs has a pre-amp designed for exactly this purpose...

        Lee N4MVL

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013

          > Jack at Clifton Labs has a pre-amp designed for exactly this purpose...

          > Lee N4MVL

          31/01/2013 20:56

          Mine arrived very quickly from the US to here in England. I was unable
          to access the Clifton Labs web site, and issue Jack is aware of, but
          he sorted me via direct e-mail and I am building it soon. He was very
          helpful and replied within hours. Recommended company, a pleasure to
          deal with!

          --
          Best Regards,
          Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013
            Chris,

            How do you control the computer/transceiver lash-up? No CAT control, right?

            --

            John Williams

            KE5SSH - ham since 2007
            WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm
          • Chris Wilson
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013

              > Chris,

              > How do you control the computer/transceiver lash-up? No CAT control, right?

              > On 1/31/2013 2:58 PM, Chris Wilson wrote:
              >> Clifton Labs

              31/01/2013 21:53

              It's a bit of a nightmare as my TS-590 has Omni Rig controlling it
              from HDSDR running the Softrock RX Ensemble, right now. So both track
              on anaother. BUT, I also have logging software that tracks the TS-590.
              The software is ACLog, that is simple and works fine, but I have to
              connect the PC to the TS-590 via a serial cable, just for the logging
              software, as I see no way to make it share the USB connection from the
              590. The issue is there's a constant tocking noise when the logging
              software is on. It obviously polls the 590 all the time, and the
              Softrock picks this noise up. Not via the antenna, but down the other
              cables. It is extremely irritating, and it may be some sort of ground
              loop, I don't know. But other than that, it works fine. I manually
              switch the antenna from the Softrock to the TS-590 when I wish to
              transmit, or use the 590's receiver. This should be addressed by
              feeding the Softrock from the buffer amp I am building, within the
              590. I am using the instructions on Ian Wade's pages. It links to
              this:

              http://crystalradio.us/projects/ts-590s-panadaptor.htm

              Let us know how you get on please. Good luck!

              --
              Best Regards,
              Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013

                > The issue is there's a constant tocking noise when the logging
                > software is on. It obviously polls the 590 all the time, and the
                > Softrock picks this noise up. Not via the antenna, but down the other
                > cables. It is extremely irritating, and it may be some sort of ground
                > loop, I don't know.

                Chris,

                Yes possibly a ground loop.
                I suffered that with HRD some years back.
                The fundamental cause was the PCB design of my FT840.
                The grounds of the serial CAT port and the audio amp were common. Some butchery to the PCB isolated the grounds and cured the
                problem.

                But it sounds as if you will just need some external butchery to the ground connections. Only one ground required, but maybe not to
                easy to isolate if the possibility of ground loops was not considered when boxing up.

                73 Alan G4ZFQ
              • John Williams
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013
                  No, Chris, was asking specifically on the TS-120. No CAT there. I guess
                  you get a nice panadapter but that is about it, right? I understand how
                  you do this on a CAT enabled transceiver.

                  John

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013

                    > No, Chris, was asking specifically on the TS-120. No CAT there. I guess
                    > you get a nice panadapter but that is about it, right? I understand how
                    > you do this on a CAT enabled transceiver.

                    > John
                    > On 1/31/2013 4:00 PM, Chris Wilson wrote:
                    >> It's a bit of a nightmare as my TS-590

                    31/01/2013 22:33

                    OK, sorry, I see now. Yes, I guess it works like the basic Softrock I
                    used with my FT-902, no tracking. It quickly became a PITA to be
                    honest.

                    --
                    Best Regards,
                    Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013
                      > Chris,

                      > Yes possibly a ground loop.
                      > I suffered that with HRD some years back.
                      > The fundamental cause was the PCB design of my FT840.
                      > The grounds of the serial CAT port and the audio amp were common.
                      > Some butchery to the PCB isolated the grounds and cured the
                      > problem.

                      > But it sounds as if you will just need some external butchery to
                      > the ground connections. Only one ground required, but maybe not to
                      > easy to isolate if the possibility of ground loops was not considered when boxing up.

                      > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                      31/01/2013 22:35

                      Thanks for the info Alan. This posting made me realize just HOW
                      annoying it was, so I have had a fiddle. By connecting my TS-590
                      casing to the PC's casing with a heft lead the tock noise has gone,
                      plus I do believ my Softrock display is "cleaner" as well, with less
                      artifacts! A good result.

                      --
                      Best Regards,
                      Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013

                        . By connecting my TS-590
                        > casing to the PC's casing with a hefty lead the tock noise has gone,
                        > plus I do believ my Softrock display is "cleaner" as well, with less
                        > artifacts!

                        Chris,

                        Yes, there are two approaches to ground loops. (Ignoring transformers)
                        Either make sure there is only one ground on the audio between SDR and soundcard.
                        Or make all grounds really good, low resistance. This may be as effective as a cure. The fundamental problem is due to potential
                        differences between the grounds. Good grounding will reduce these differences.